Why become a member? ×

SOLD (subject to payment etc.) Fodera Imperial MG5 - Chestnut top

lozbass

Now SOLD subject to payment. It looks like the bass will be going home. I thought this bass would be popular but the interest was immense. I'm sad. This is one of the most stunning basses I've ever seen. Thanks to all for the comments and interest.

Following much contemplation – this is not an easy decision – my Fodera Imperial MG5 is now for sale. The bass was built in 2006 (as far as I can remember) – it has seen very little use and is in ‘as new’ condition. The top is a beautifully marked chestnut, the body is black walnut, and the neck is ash with (rosewood or bubinga?) stringers and an ebony board. The tone block appears to be figured maple or alder (or possibly sycamore?). Electronics are Mike Pope 3 band with passive tone control and Seymour Duncan custom pickups.

The only reason that the bass is for sale is that I have wrist rotation problems and can no longer play a 5 – I’ve moved to short-scale, skinny-necked 4s almost exclusively. I’m not going to go on about the instrument – anybody who’s looking and has a serious interest will know that this is a stunning, unique, hand-built bass – aesthetics, playability and tone are everything you’d expect from the higher-end of the Fodera range. We all know about wait times and values, so suffice to say my valuation on this is a firm $6850 (or £4250 or €4800). Price includes a brand new Hiscox hard case, strap locks, Fodera truss rod tool, and professional packing. Shipping, taxes and duty will be the responsibility of the purchaser (but I’ll be happy to work with any prospective buyer on shipping quotes and services etc.) The bass is currently in the UK but I will ship to the US, Canada, European Union, Australia, New Zealand or Japan. Other destinations, give me a try. I’m not looking for trades so this is ‘for sale’ only. Bank transfer is the preferred method of payment.

Again, anybody with a serious interest is likely to have many questions – please don’t hesitate to ask anything you need to know, or for photographs of specific features of the bass. I’m available by Skype or ‘phone to serious potential buyers – please PM to arrange.

Scale length is 33” (26 frets). String spacing is around 18-19mm but is adjustable. I can append details of nut width and spacing this evening. Neck profile is a fairly flat D – very comfortable all the way up with full access to the 26 frets. Indeed, the neck is super-fast, just too wide for me at the first position.

Condition of the bass is superb (no gigs, no full-band rehearsals with me). Indeed, it looks (and smells) new and workshop fresh. The bass was recently set-up and re-strung with light-gauge LaBella slappers – ludicrously low action, no buzzes, and medium string tension. In the interests of full disclosure, there is a minute, very shallow impression on the rear of the bass (a semi-circular line around 4mm long) – this is almost impossible to find or see and is only visible with light at a certain angle. There is also an ultra tiny nick on the bottom rear edge (a fraction of a millimetre across and the same deep). Both marks are almost invisible and impossible to photograph – the latter wasn’t noticed until I’d had the bass for six months. I’d estimate that repair – if you could be bothered (the blemishes are almost imperceptible) – would be no more than $20 (£15).

Let me know if you need to know anything at all – I’m more than happy to offer detailed responses to questions.

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='purpleblob' post='586644' date='Sep 1 2009, 04:45 PM']Lovely instrument. funnily enough I've been looking at other examples of these instruments over the weekend - just a shame I don't have that sort of money available at this time :)

Anyway best of luck with the sale.[/quote]

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Fiver a week 'til 2026?

[quote name='enigmatic' post='586670' date='Sep 1 2009, 05:12 PM']Beautiful.

Is it strung B-G? if so how's the b-string tension?[/quote]
Oops - thanks for this, I should have mentioned it earlier - it's currently strung E-C (as are most MG's I think). I think it would take a low B (new nut?) but I'm not sure.

I'm in Manchester

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='4000' post='586772' date='Sep 1 2009, 07:21 PM']and I just hope I get to play it before it goes[/quote]
Thanks, and I'll do everything I can to make sure that you do!

Thanks for all the very kind comments in posts and PMs - just to make it clear, I'm not selling because I don't like the bass in any way. I find that I have a wrist rotation problem and playing anything other than short-scale basses or those with ultra slender necks is really not comfortable. I'll be really sad to see this go - it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing basses I've ever seen, let alone owned. This bass convinced me (firmly) that there's something beyond the Fodera hype - if I could afford to have a short-scale, four string Fodera built, I wouldn't hesitate

Giggity giggity thats just amazing, such a beautiful instrument, i really like the idea of E-C stringing too , must check that lottery ticket, would truly love to have a go on this!! bump for this chance in a lifetime - lee

Thanks again to all for the very kind posts and PMs.

An update: I now have a first and reserve prospective buyer for the bass - I'm just awaiting confirmation. Please let me know if you want to join the list and I'll keep the thread updated with any news. It appears that the Fodera is going home.

[quote name='lozbass' post='587443' date='Sep 2 2009, 01:22 PM']Now SOLD subject to payment - thanks for all the interest[/quote]

I'm pleased for you and myself as I was seriously starting to work out what I could sell to raise the cash and I don't think the wife liked some of my choices :)