Why become a member? ×

Violin Basses

edstraker123

After a weekend of Beatles madness I've become quite taken with McCartney's violin bass. I've been checking out the market to see what's available and there only seems to be high end and low end models with nothing in between. Has anybody got any experience of any of these basses or know of a decent one at less than £1000 ?

i've always wanted a Hofner, but being left handed it might be a bit much! I've heard some good things about the contemporary series FWIW

If i got one, i think the urge to shake my head and go "woooooh" whilst playing it would be too much :)

Edited by rasher80

Both the Hofner Contemporary (CT) and the Hofner Icon (basically a CT for the US market) list at about £350 and can be had cheaper. Both also turn up on eBay from time to time.

They're Hofners in the same way that a MIM Fender is a Fender. Not "the real deal" but close enough to give you a decent flavour at a fraction of the price.

If you don't need it to say "Hofner" on the headstock, then the Epiphone is an interesting variant on the same design, with the old Eko (if you stumble across one) adding a bit of fun.

As to Wesley and other cheapo Chinese copies, quality is very patchy. I've played some very nice ones, but there are plenty that are just pants. Whatever you save on the initial price you'll probably lose when it comes to selling it later.

[quote name='rasher80' post='586470' date='Sep 1 2009, 01:11 PM']i've always wanted a Hofner, but being left handed it might be a bit much! I've heard some good things about the contemporary series FWIW

If i got one, i think the urge to shake my head and go "woooooh" whilst playing it would be too much :)[/quote]

Going off at a tangent, the houseband at my local jam night two weeks ago had a left-handed bass player playing a left-handed Fender Jazz. I spent half an hour trying to figure out what was "wrong" with his set-up ... nothing wrong with his playing, but it looked weird.

Finally sussed it. His [i]left[/i]-handed bass was strung [i]right[/i]-handed. In other words, I could have taken his bass and played it upside down. The controls would have been in the wrong place, and the body cut-out down by my knees, but it would have been perfectly playable.

I asked him about it. His older, right-handed brother learned to play bass, and he then learned to play on his brother's bass. End of. :rolleyes:

Really nice guy, and played some wicked walking lines.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='586550' date='Sep 1 2009, 02:44 PM']Going off at a tangent, the houseband at my local jam night two weeks ago had a left-handed bass player playing a left-handed Fender Jazz. I spent half an hour trying to figure out what was "wrong" with his set-up ... nothing wrong with his playing, but it looked weird.

Finally sussed it. His [i]left[/i]-handed bass was strung [i]right[/i]-handed. In other words, I could have taken his bass and played it upside down. The controls would have been in the wrong place, and the body cut-out down by my knees, but it would have been perfectly playable.

I asked him about it. His older, right-handed brother learned to play bass, and he then learned to play on his brother's bass. End of. :)

Really nice guy, and played some wicked walking lines.[/quote]

Check out Andy McCluskey of OMD - he is right-handed, but originally learned to play bass guitar on a left-handed model. As a result, he plays with the strings "upside down".

If you can find one of these (CORT), they are quite good.

Tanglewood also make a fairly authentic looking one.
[url="http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463297&sID=66460053"]http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/product...mp;sID=66460053[/url]

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='radansey' post='587772' date='Sep 2 2009, 06:07 PM']Check out Andy McCluskey of OMD - he is right-handed, but originally learned to play bass guitar on a left-handed model. As a result, he plays with the strings "upside down".[/quote]
I've never noticed that but I checked some pics on Google and I could see it was so.

Try Brandoni, they have a stack of vintage parts, bodies etc and I've seen some lovely EKO violin basses on the site in the past, and from what I hear they're well worth a look if that's what you are after......

LINKY EDIT - [url="http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/[/url]

Edited by metalmickey

• 2 weeks later...