Why become a member? ×

Help me - I'm going round in circles here.

Delberthot

Unhappy at my sound and looking for a change I have sold both my Shuttle and my Schroeder 1212L.

When I first began playing seriously I had a Trace 7210H and a 1048H cab and it put out plenty of power and I quite liked the sound. A couple of years later and I enter my 'Flea' period where I sell the lot and buy myself a GK 800RB, using a Trace 1153 with a Celestion 300w driver replacing the original - I also bought myself an all black Stingray 5 string as well. This setup was smaller as I was now just using it as a backline since we now had a PA.

After a particularly loud gig and being unable to hear myself, I sell everything and start from scratch with firstly:

Ashdown EVO500 something or other head and 2 ABM115 cabs - the most indistinct muddy sound I've ever heard - possibly only fish at the bottom of the sea could hear the notes produced.

Hartke HA5500 & one of the Ashdown cabs - rubbish.

GK700RBII & Schroeder1212L - great sound, bags of power

Shuttle & Schroeder 1212L - reasonable sound, bags of power.

My predicament is this: I want to buy myself preferrably a combo, weight is unimportant, that i can use primarily as a monitor using my cab stand. I have this pointing up directly at me as I don't plan on doing pub gigs without a PA anymore.

I'm not sure if I want something that I can add an extra cab to if such a scenario comes up and I don't want to have to spend a fortune for something that I 'might' add onto for the occasional gig.

I have absolutely no idea how much power I need - I like to be able to hear myself and generally point my cab away from the rest of the band so that i can have it at a volume I like without upsetting them. My guitarist is very quiet, the vocal monitors are nowhere near me but I do have a loud drummer.

My original trace was 200w as far as I remember and I've managed to get up to 600w over the last 15 years. The extra power was to cope with being in a band with no PA support so I have no idea how much power I actually need. I don't want to buy more than I need either.

My preferred makes are Trace & Gallien as I have had good results in the past, most other makes are an unknown entity to me. I don't want anything by Markbass or Genz.

I don't mind buying new or second hand, obviously I'll get more second hand. I could spend up to £1200 if I needed to but if a 10 year old Trace combo for £200 will suffice then I'd rather get that and bank the rest.

I want something with a bit of meat as that was what I found lacking in the Schroeder.

BTW, what is the life expectancy of a transistor amp before they start getting unreliable?

So far on my list have been:

GK1001 Neo 2x12"
GK2001
GK Neo1x12"
GK NEo 2x12"
GK1001RB II
GK700RB II
Trace 715
Trace 7215 - old model from the late 90s that I've spotted - 300w
Trace 1528 2x15" cab
Trace 1048H
Trace 1153
Trace 2103H
Trace 1518
Various new Trace combos

I'm going demented as I have ebsolutely no idea what I need.

Edited by Delberthot

I was going to say that the most striking amp/combo I have played recently is the Markbass 210 combo..

I thought I would hate it and even refused it on a gig..but it is great...

Too big for my car.... and pug ugly..well, that description is OTT.. but a GREAT combo, IMV..
Just plug in and 5 secs of twiddling and you are GOOD to go... add a 15 and you have a 500watt rig for the larger gigs, if needs must

but, I see you don't like them... oh well...

I'd say just get the 1001RBII and match it up with a GK Neo 2x12 and you'll be sorted, but obviously I'm biased.

I've got 2 but I only realy use one and I prefer the tone and volume I get from using the one.

Edited by Josh

I've had a look at the V-type combo but didn't know if it'd be loud enough.

The main reason for a combo is that I like simple - I have my cab on my cab stand at an angle and would like to have everything sitting together.

With the GK & Schroeder, I had the cab on the stand and the amp in its rack on a keyboard stand and it took up a lot of room - space is another consideration as well for getting a combo.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='583935' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:21 PM']you've o idea how long it took me to find the correct size allen screws for the Shuttle - 10/32" if I remember corectly[/quote]

Well it shouldn't be that hard for me to do. All I need is some aluminium stock, bolts, something to thread the bolts through, and something to cushion the amp when it's being gripped. Then I can offer them them as an optional extra, in various sizes to fit the different thickness micro-amps. It's an idea I've been kicking around for a while...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='583927' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:14 PM']Now that I've got one of these little micro-amps I can see the appeal of a couple bent bits of aluminium and some bolts to clamp it onto a cab, Genz Benz combo-stylee, especially if you're one for tilting your rig. I shall investigate the possibilities...

Alex[/quote]

Shouldn't be a problem with the Big One - you could tie it off to the top handle easily enough.

A

[quote name='Delberthot' post='583916' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:01 PM']I've had a look at the V-type combo but didn't know if it'd be loud enough.[/quote]
It kept up with 2 Marshall Mode 4s (thru 4x12 cabs) live when I owned it. Believe me, it's very loud!