Why become a member? ×

Big Muff....suitable for bass?

JHBASS

Hi all,

I've been on the hunt for somewhere to try out the Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff and Bass Blogger down south, and Ive struggled to locate them anywhere. However, I have seen in a music shop with a standard EHX Big Muff. Do any of you have any clue whether this works well with a Bass, or and thoughts on the pedal itself. I remember seeing at a bass summer school a few weeks back a player who had one on his pedal board. I just want to know if theres any point me asking whether I can try the pedal out with a Bass.

Cheers, Hope this is clear enough,

Josh

I have a 10 year old EH Big Muff (the black one) that sounds great on bass. I don't know what the QC is like now but back then they all sounded quite different due to the loose tolerances on the components - I bought mine online from the Bass Centre not knowing this and just got lucky! So yes, but don't expect the first one you try to be the one to buy unless they're really tightened up their manufacturing procedures.

I've actually replaced my Big Muff with a Bass Blowtorch which gives a toothier nastier fuzz but is very versatile with its EQ and blend control.

Alex

I had the USA one and found it lacking in low end, sounded miles better with guitar than bass. Bought the Russian (black) one and was well impressed, very meaty sound and can sound smooth or nasty

Bear in mind you'll need a battery adapter if you want to run the Russian one from a power supply as it has no DC jack. Either that or wire it to a DC jack from Maplins and use a polarity reverse adapter (the Russian Muff is centre+ve, most pedals are centre-ve)

I use the ZVEX Mastotron now as it's miles smaller but gives similar sounds and loads more options. Still break out the Russian Muff every now and again though, it's one of my favourite pedals for loud and leary bass

These are the muff's/clones I've had...

USA reissue
Black russian
Green Russian X 2
Green Russian clone
Bass Big Muff
Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie

USA was awful, really tinny and fizzy.
Black wasn't much better, bit bassier, but nothing great.
The green clone I built sounded awesome, although seems a little less bassy than an actual green one.
Bass Big Muff was great. I'd recommend this if you can find one.
Wren and Cuff was really great too.

The Sovtek's are wonderful. I stupidly sold one, but bought another soon after. Maybe it's a placebo because it's a huge old box and all knackered and old, but it sounds so huge and punches you in the face with bassy fuzz. I adore the sound.

They're going for around 100-160 now, but the Bass big muff came pretty close to it. As I say, I'd wait for one of those. Or get a Sovtek if you're rich :)

Cheers for the help guys, I think I may just try the Big Muff just to see if it is any good (but from the feedback...it may be completly opposite), so Ill just have to hang about and wait for the bass big muff to appear in GAK in Brighton.

Cheers,

Josh

[quote name='JHBASS' post='583352' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:02 AM']Cheers for the help guys, I think I may just try the Big Muff just to see if it is any good (but from the feedback...it may be completly opposite), so Ill just have to hang about and wait for the bass big muff to appear in GAK in Brighton.

Cheers,

Josh[/quote]

if u decide to go for it man, i'm selling one like new in box for £38 posted to ur door!!!! (shameless i know)

chris

[quote name='alexclaber' post='583325' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:46 AM']Or find a Black Russian like mine which benefits from loose tolerances! :)

Alex[/quote]

Fairly sure there are several black ones. There are two in the House of Bass, one has a matt finish and one is gloss, and their sound is very different (suspect one is bust as it has a fair volume drop).

[quote name='JHBASS' post='583352' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:02 AM']Cheers for the help guys, I think I may just try the Big Muff just to see if it is any good (but from the feedback...it may be completly opposite), so Ill just have to hang about and wait for the bass big muff to appear in GAK in Brighton.

Cheers,

Josh[/quote]
I'm pretty sure you can order them in to GAK - just ask one of the guyus that lookis as though he knows what he's doing.

Russian Big muff's are great bass pedals in general iv found, and iv gone through more than most :)

Best for me was the Civil War Big Muff, the blue/grey russian one. Was just better than the green muff and embarrasses the black. The painted black one mentioned is pretty much the same as the later green ones, just black with 2 screws on top. The 4 screw latest edition is the weakest, but still very usable on bass. . The rams head is a good one for bass, and probably the only american one i would recommend. I did have a 70s op amp model that was okay, and sometimes you can get them cheap.

The only muff i havn't owned is the original triangle one and the earlier no screws on top green one, that latter i imagine to be very similar to the civil war.

Edited by Kev

Hey guys, just thought I'd end this quest of Fun, Frolics and Fuzz. I went into Bonners, and spent a good 40 mins try out an USA reissue Big Muff. I love it. It looks amazing, and more importantly sounds top notch too. I don't think it would be to everone's taste, but teamed up with my other pedals, it makes a really nice addition. Thanks for all your help, Im sure I'll have some other question later in the future!

Many thanks,

Josh