Why become a member? ×

What is left to invent

Something that I would definitely want to buy if it existed.

I'd like something like this:

to fit one of these:

With the features of this:

But the sounds of this:

So a tough battery powered/rechargable ipod dock that holds the iPod securely with headphone & stereo phono outs & also also charges the iPod (if its plugged into the mains) This would enable me to practice the songs I'm learning & mix the backing track with bass amp & fx modelling including a decent fliptop tone into headphones. If someone can make one of these for £100 I'll be first in the queue.

What else (bass-related) doesn't exist yet but should?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='581890' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:03 PM']Wouldn't it be better with one of these?

That way people who don't ever want to use Apple (me) could use it.[/quote]
Nah - you can just use a pocket pod or something for that. Prefer less cables so I can pick it up with one hand with headphones & bass plugged in and when I put it down it stays where I put it with the screen & controls facing where I want them to. Maybe it should have an extra 1/8" input for the poor sods using non iPod MP3 players as well. (although iPods only work properly if they're syncing with iTunes on Macs - iTunes on windows is just as annoying to use as anything else on Windows.)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='581971' date='Aug 26 2009, 10:35 PM']I have one at gigs. it's called a drummer.[/quote]

So let me get this right.... You let your Drummer go near your bass amp and twiddle with knobs

Have you any idea how dangerous that is?

[quote name='Monz' post='581995' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:01 PM']So let me get this right.... You let your Drummer go near your bass amp and twiddle with knobs

Have you any idea how dangerous that is?[/quote]

Well he's at the back with amps a cabs and keeps saying i cant hear yer!, as the night wears on he's hitting the drums hard and harder so its no wonder. he's a bit of an animal.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='581915' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:29 PM']Tallent boost pedal that actually works would be ideal.
They already have one for guitar called BOS overdrive, turn it up full so you cant figure out what notes your playing and go crazy[/quote]

that method works even better with bass, haven't you ever tried it?

[quote name='Tait' post='582052' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:50 PM']that method works even better with bass, haven't you ever tried it?[/quote]

lol, ive not mate. Maybe I should invest.

BurritoBass you pic isnt showing, im gonna guess its the tallent boost pic in red with what looks like grass to the left top corner?

Not bass related but I would invent a silent vacuum cleaner first. Then I would take the previously mentioned 'talent boost' pedal and see if I could modify it for football purposes in order to be used on the Scottish football team.

I would like some kind of electric shock to be fitted into basses that only goes off when a bassist goes up to soundcheck and starts to play any Muse or Rage Against the Machine riff. Of course this would have to be bypassed for the bassists in said bands and designated tribute/cover bands.

A bass that could be folded in half or quickly and easily disassembled and then put back together. Then you could fit your instrument into a normal backpack and not have the hassle of people saying 'Give us a tune, pal' whilst strumming on an imaginary guitar. This may just be a Glasgow phenomenon though.

Not an invention but a Chuck Norris endorsed bass overdrive would sell very well.

Tubes that never die in the middle of a gig and strings that can be tuned down and don't lose any tension. I'm sure the laws of physics make the latter impossible but if only...

Speaker cabs that fold up or collapse. It would be great not to have to carry big boxes full of (mostly) air and be able to get a full rig into a smaller car/house/wherever.

I've looked into ways of doing it, but getting a cab to fold and not flex while in use seems to defy the laws of physics.

A

[quote name='Monz' post='581995' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:01 PM']So let me get this right.... You let your Drummer go near your bass amp and twiddle with knobs

Have you any idea how dangerous that is?[/quote]

So LET ME get this right.....you've never heard of a drummer that twiddles with knobs?

A fretted/fretless convertable fingerboard that also adjusts the string height so the set up stays consistent with the contact surface.

A humbucking pickup that has quick fit replaceable coils.

A sliding pickup that doesn't require huge routs in the body.

A bass amp with a studio quality preamp section. (Sort of an Avalon/Summit thing with parametric eq and effects loop).

For a second I thought that Jamdock was something I've been considering for a while - a footswitch to remotely queue up and activate an MP3 player. I want something small and cheap to use some samples live without going down the whole sampler/midi route, so the footswitch is a must. And I know I'm not alone wanting one, judging by the number of questions I've seen asking about the same thing and bands having to manually turn on and off iPods live.

So yeah, one of those.