Why become a member? ×

Where To Go Now?

JBassist

[quote name='JBassist' post='581703' date='Aug 26 2009, 06:34 PM']im 15 and been playing bass for nearly 2 years, i can play pretty fast as well as slap and tap also am pretty good at theory

i know i can just keep improving getting more fast/accurate

but id like to explore other things

any suggestions

:):):rolleyes::)[/quote]

Join a band.

[quote name='JBassist' post='581703' date='Aug 26 2009, 06:34 PM']im 15 and been playing bass for nearly 2 years, i can play pretty fast as well as slap and tap also am pretty good at theory

any suggestions

Yes. Practise playing well rather than just fast. When you know you can you'll know I was right.

and - as folk are saying - play with people. A band , a jam session , a mate - anybody. Learning curve straight through the roof.

Well done to have achieved so much at your young age - but there's so much more than technical skills. They're just tools to help you build things , not an end in themselves.

Keep learning , matey - you'll love it - I'm 47 and I do.

any suggestions

Play slow. You will eventually find it more rewarding in all respects.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='581729' date='Aug 26 2009, 06:49 PM']Ha ha!

I hardly think hard drugs are stupid. All those particpants can't be wrong.[/quote]

+2

...apart from the smack/crack heads. those guys are loosers... well the poor ones are, Jim Morrison was a legend.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='581798' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:38 PM']Play slow. You will eventually find it more rewarding in all respects.[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. That said Wayne hit the nail too. Learn how to play, sure BUT also learn [u]not[/u] playing too. learn about space and letting the music breath. That's my thoughts.

I worked with a brilliant bass player once when I was playing a multi-instrumentalist role. We gave him some home demos to record and he didn't play [b]at all [/b]on one track! He said it sounded great as it was and didn't want to clutter it. I thought that took real self discipline & I'm still impressed with him for doing that. An extreme example but hopefully food for thought.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='582227' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:23 AM']This is exactly what I was thinking. That said Wayne hit the nail too. Learn how to play, sure BUT also learn [u]not[/u] playing too. learn about space and letting the music breath. That's my thoughts.

I worked with a brilliant bass player once when I was playing a multi-instrumentalist role. We gave him some home demos to record and he didn't play [b]at all [/b]on one track! He said it sounded great as it was and didn't want to clutter it. I thought that took real self discipline & I'm still impressed with him for doing that. An extreme example but hopefully food for thought.[/quote]

Did he still get paid?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='582196' date='Aug 27 2009, 09:52 AM']Put a metronome on 40 bpm and practise clapping your hands perfectly in time so that the metronome clicks disappear.

Alex[/quote]
If the OP isn't going to do that I am.
Also thought the other comments about not playing as such were important. Sometimes you can feel pressured to impress by banging out loads notes. You also need to realise when you need to leave spaces.