Why become a member? ×

More Advice, help.

karlfer

Hi folks.
After a 4 year lay off, I am going for a band again.
My last rig was bought a decade ago, sold 4 years ago.ABM 300 head, Marshall 4x10, Marshall 1x15.
Dont want to lug that lot around,(cant afford that lot now) will compromise with sound, looking at probably 1x15 combo, possibly 2 x10.
Started looking and GK/Ampeg/Hartke/ etc that I have looked at are all made in China.

Anybody using any of the Chinese stuff?

All input/comments/experiences gratefully recieved.

Cheers,
Karl

Edited by karlfer

Far East manufacture is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd go for used separates instead of a combo, because, as this is the first step, I think you will upgrade, probably sooner than you think!

There's lots of good stuff in the For Sale section.

Thanks lads. Looking at the rigs you 2 have, I am going to hide in a dark cupboard.
My previous big rig was for use with a successful blues band in Scotland that did some big gigs.
Past the rock star stage 25 years ago. Had some good times and interesting tours, but won't need a big rig now.
Budget is only going to be a lowly £350/£400, just a few local gigs per annum, mainly for my pleasure.
Was looking at a McGregor on ebay, starting price £85, quite close to me. Seem to remember they were well thought of in the 80's. Also looking at GK,Backline 600 on ebay, as well as Ampeg 1x15, 220 watt.
Will have a good look through BC ads as well.
Again, many thanks lads, now, off to an interview for a crap job, but needs must.
Cheers,
Karl.

I don't know what you think of Trace Elliot, but there's some nice Trace gear around on BC (in the for sale section) at the moment. The TE 4x10 combos were a bit heavy, but they're immensely solid, very loud and have a great tone (if you like the Trace tone) - I think there's one on here for around £250. I think I've also seen a Trace V type 15 combo at a good price.

[quote name='karlfer' post='579983' date='Aug 25 2009, 06:02 AM']Anybody using any of the Chinese stuff?[/quote]There's precious little that's not sourced from Asia, if not as a finished good then as the components within.
BTW, neither quality nor lack of it is defined by national origin. I remember when, if you considered a certain brand of automobile, you were encouraged to buy them in pairs, giving you one to drive whilst the other was in the shop. The brand was Jaguar. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='581432' date='Aug 26 2009, 02:39 PM']Wasn't it the famously hopeless BL years actually? :)

Alex[/quote]

Strange. This thread brought BL to mind even before Bill mentioned automobiles.

Yeah, country of manufacture isn't really a guide to reliability.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='581432' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:39 AM']Wasn't it the famously hopeless BL years actually? :)

Alex[/quote]Let's not forget about Lucas Lighting and the joys of positive grounding. In my college years one bought an MGB or Midget, or a Sprite, in the hopes that the coolness of the ride would get one laid. The time spent trying to keep the damn things running was so all encompassing that any all other extracurricular activities, including a decent nights sleep, were relegated secondary status at best.

This is an absolutely, unequivocal, shameless plug here but you could buy a cracking pair of cabs and a 1200w power amp from me for £350 which leaves you £50 to buy a preamp pedal or similar. You'd NEVER need worry about headroom and if push came to shove you'd have a spare PA system! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58679"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58679[/url]

Can't beat a good shameless plug, but a bit too much for me Warwickhunt. Bit complex for a thick old git, but nice to see a reference to broon dog. Darlington born Toon supporter exiled to Scotland then Wigan.
Remember me dad buying an Austin All- aggro. Only BL could come up with a Square steering wheel.
Keeping an eye on the kit on Bass Chat. There was a great looking Ashdown set up going at Stockport, but it was the MAG series which I have heard can be unreliable.
Keep it coming folks, the more I know, the less chance of me making an expensive balls up.

If you're after a fairly cheap rig, I'd go for a Gallien-Krueger head and Hartke cabs. I know the Hartkes are made in China and some people find their speakers disgusting but I think the fact that they're so out of fashion means they're actually pretty well priced new and a bit of a bargain secondhand. Personally, I loved the sound of Hartke XL cabs - just couldn't get enough lows out of them for my needs.

A couple of years ago I sold a GK 400RB head for around £200 and a pair of Hartke XL cabs for another £200. Have a look around the For Sale forums, ebay and gumtree.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='581518' date='Aug 26 2009, 03:49 PM']Let's not forget about Lucas Lighting and the joys of positive grounding. In my college years one bought an MGB or Midget, or a Sprite, in the hopes that the coolness of the ride would get one laid. The time spent trying to keep the damn things running was so all encompassing that any all other extracurricular activities, including a decent nights sleep, were relegated secondary status at best.[/quote]

Or even worse you could have bought a lotus elan

[quote name='bumnote' post='582108' date='Aug 27 2009, 07:27 AM']Or even worse you could have bought a lotus elan[/quote]

LOTUS

L oads O f T rouble U sually S erious.

Thanks about the Marshall, but not quite as many watts as I was looking for.
Nice tip re Hartkes, keep 'em coming fellas.

If we're going down the route of shameless plugs :rolleyes: There's my Trace V Type up for grabs. 250W loud as you like, will cut through like a cutty thing and will also drive larger cabs if you so wish. Ask Merton, it was his before I got it. I've not used it in a live situation but he has extensively and says it was amazing. :)

Edited to add link [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57962"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57962[/url]

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Tinman' post='582183' date='Aug 27 2009, 09:31 AM']If we're going down the route of shameless plugs :rolleyes: There's my Trace V Type up for grabs. 250W loud as you like, will cut through like a cutty thing and will also drive larger cabs if you so wish. Ask Merton, it was his before I got it. I've not used it in a live situation but he has extensively and says it was amazing. :)

Edited to add link [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57962"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57962[/url][/quote]

Plugs are great. Only problem is I need to sell my old Shaftesbury first, to get to the £400 bracket. It goes on ebay next Tues night.

V TYPE very tempting, I bought one new not long after they came out. Cost just under a grand (in financially happier times!), and I know it was superb.
Even better with a Marshall 4 x 12 under it.

I need to see what is available after I sell the Shafty, but all advice and plugs gratefully recieved.
Many thanks all.