Why become a member? ×

BIG ONE ON TOUR

nottswarwick

I can always arrange for it to head back into Nottingham if there are a few wanting to hear / try it
I don't think the list is cast in stone?

I though everyone would be chomping at the bit to try it !

Cheers
Ade

[quote name='Adee' post='610703' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:52 AM']I though everyone would be chomping at the bit to try it ![/quote]

I'm totally chomping in Stockport, but have no chance of collecting it. Is it postable?

Or anyone halfway North of Corby wanting to try?

[quote name='mike257' post='612752' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:43 AM']Crikey, it's almost my turn! Excitement kicking in, looking forward to getting my hands on this and putting it through it's paces next to the 610. I've got a feeling my Ampeg's gonna get it's ass kicked :)[/quote]

Tonally I know what I'd prefer but in terms of loudness you probably haven't got enough power for the Big One to keep up with the 610HLF.

Alex

[quote name='Adee' post='614708' date='Oct 2 2009, 12:42 PM']Calm down, Calm down fella !

Not long now ![/quote]

Haha, I hope thats a proper Harry Enfield Scouser 'calm down' :)

I'll send the PM over now, nice one mate!

[quote name='alexclaber']Tonally I know what I'd prefer but in terms of loudness you probably haven't got enough power for the Big One to keep up with the 610HLF.[/quote]

I'm running my Shuttle with the master at about 10 o'clock normally, I don't ever get to halfway with it through the 610, so I'm not pushing much through it in terms of power. The cab is probably overkill for my current volume needs. Given that, do you think I'll still get enough power into the Big One? Got a long way left to go on my volume knob!!

Mike

[quote name='mike257' post='614853' date='Oct 2 2009, 02:45 PM']I'm running my Shuttle with the master at about 10 o'clock normally, I don't ever get to halfway with it through the 610, so I'm not pushing much through it in terms of power. The cab is probably overkill for my current volume needs. Given that, do you think I'll still get enough power into the Big One?[/quote]

I'd have thought so! If the limiter LED is rarely lighting then you'll be fine.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='615089' date='Oct 2 2009, 06:40 PM']If there's a chance, I'd like to play pass the parcel with a Big One.

Am in Harrogate, but visiting family in Swinton tomorrow afternoon, if that's any use.[/quote]
If it ends up in Harrogate, can I have next dibs please?

[quote name='mike257' post='623861' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:01 PM']Any news on the next moves for the Big'un?[/quote]

Twill be on its way this week

Anyone suggest the best method to send ie. carrier?

Cheers
Ade

Rocking! Just giz a shout when it's on the way :) I've used UPS in the past when I've been shifting cabs about, but I'm sure there's cheaper options around, didn't somebody mention Interparcel in another thread recently? Any courier should do the trick.

[quote name='Adee' post='623865' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:07 PM']Anyone suggest the best method to send ie. carrier?[/quote]

I use Fedex and they've been quite reliable. However it's very very VERY important to pack it up securely. Recently I've switched to wrapping the 2" thick polystyrene corners in packing tape to stop them breaking apart - works really well. Also adding extra cardboard sheets along all large panels. It will get dropped enroute and without enough protection it will get broken. This is why I was reluctant to send the Big One on tour - on the other hand so far no Compact has been damaged in transit bar a couple of cracked but easily replaced plastic corners, despite shipping many many more.

Alex

I'm up for meeting somewhere in the NW (Manchester/Leeds/Liverpool etc.) to pick up and then pass on if it's ever round these parts. I'm genuinely interested to see how it compares to 2 x db112s with a view to moving them on to (part) fund purchase of a Big One if I like how it sounds on a gig.

• 2 weeks later...

BIG ONE winging its way to Mike257 in Liverpool for delivery today

STOP PRESS + STOP PRESS + STOP PRESS + STOP PRESS

BIG ONE now delivered to Mike257

Edited by Adee

I can indeed confirm the Big One is squeezed into the back of my little work van at the moment, looking forward to giving it a bash soon! The box was bigger than I expected, but after taking my 6x10 up a spiral staircase yesterday, it feels well light!

I've got a gig on Sunday night, and a practice next week, so I'll give it a going over for that and then move it on, as I know there's a few people round here waiting for a go at it!

Cheers Ade for sending it up, and thanks again to Alex for letting us all loose on it!

[quote name='mike257' post='633438' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:05 PM']I can indeed confirm the Big One is squeezed into the back of my little work van at the moment, looking forward to giving it a bash soon! The box was bigger than I expected, but after taking my 6x10 up a spiral staircase yesterday, it feels well light!

I've got a gig on Sunday night, and a practice next week, so I'll give it a going over for that and then move it on, as I know there's a few people round here waiting for a go at it!

Cheers Ade for sending it up, and thanks again to Alex for letting us all loose on it![/quote]

Hey Mike! If you're still up for it, let's hook up sometime next week- I'm looking forward to hearing the Big One! I'll bring my new G-K head and Compact along to compare... :)

Well, gave the Big One it's first run out last night, first impressions...

Didn't take it out of the box it was shipped in until I was about to run it to soundcheck. Absolutely blown away by the (lack of) weight. Compared to dragging my SVT610 around, this thing is a revelation, and my band were instantly of the opinion that I should buy one for this reason alone!

This was the first gig I've done in ages where there's been no PA support for the backline, so it was all about the Big One out front. The gig was at Studio 2 at Parr Street studios in Liverpool, which has now been converted into a bar/venue, so the acoustics in the room are pretty bloody marvellous. I was running my Shuttle 6.0 with both preamp controls at 12 o'clock, and a slight mid cut, and my JM4 on the neck pickup with a touch of bass boost.

The difference from my 610 was apparent almost immediately, especially in the low mids. There was a lot more weight to the notes, and I definitely felt like I was getting the tone of my bass, rather than the tone of my cab. The attack of my flats came through really nicely. Consensus of opinion from the band was that the bass sat in the mix much better (against 3 eleccy guitars, 1 acoustic, drums, 3 vocals) and sounded 'bigger' without overpowering anyone else.

I did feel there was something missing when I got up past the 5th fret on my D string, the notes were lacking some punch, but I didn't have time to really experiment with my EQ at the gig, and I'm sure when I spend some time on it in rehearsal this week that I can address that.

Overall, I'm very impressed, as are the lads in the band, and I'm seriously thinking how I could fund a Barefaced purchase. I'm hoping to give it a more thorough going over at rehearsals this week, and A/B it against the Ampeg cab.

Etienne, I'd love to meet up with you and your Compact - I'm pretty busy all this week, but could possibly do something early next week, I'll give you a shout!

Thanks again to Alex for this, it's great to be able to try out a potential new purchase in the real world, I'm pretty sure now that my next new bit of gear is going to say 'Barefaced' on it!!

Edited by mike257

• 1 month later...