Why become a member? ×

Death Metal Bass guitar

Skinkemann

Hey there!

I've been playing bass now for well, 4 years, with breakes in between.
Played with my band, rock/metal. Nothin really heavy.

Now that we've changed our style, to more death metal, mix of death metal and trash. Atleast it requires some fast finger playing!

So I've started to feel I need a new bass, the one I have now doens't really fit to the style, not the sound on it, nor the bass itselfs, doesn't feel comfortable(This could probably be better with new strings, mics etc. But seeing as I'm not really handy with the tools, and I'd like a new bass afterall.

My current one is a [b][i]Yamaha RBX374[/i][/b], the sound it makes when I play fast and hard is just really bad. Really lose and it just gives an awful sound.
Anyone got tips for a new one?

All help and tips about other bass guitars is really appreciated

Forgot to mention I and the guitarist play in drop c, how is that anyways, with playing a 5 string together with a guitar that plays drop c? or should I just stick to 4's?

Edited by Skinkemann

Check out the Ibanez SR505. Thinnest neck in the market, perfect for fast playing, VERY light and comfortable (in fact lighter than many guitars), heavily contoured body, optimal balance, very versatile sound with Bartolini pickups and preamp, can do anything from old school wooly sounds to clanky-zingy-earthshattering metal, and if you like wood, it has the looks. I love mine!

Edited by Fraktal

i used to play death metal with a passive bc rich warlock. the sound was amazing through an old valve amp and two 15" cabs.
recording wise, i used my old WEM dominator II combo breaking up nicely.

there is no right or wrong instrument to use for any genre of music although i wouldn't turn up to a country or rockabilly show with one of my pointy deans!

BC Rich basses, in my limited experience of them, look very metal, but don't necessarily aid the fast style required for death metal. I agree with the suggestion of an Ibanez, but I also think that your current Yamaha should more than do the job. Sound-wise, I'd say you need something with plenty of bottom-end, but also a tight and clear middle frequency range, to allow the bass to cut through the wall of guitar noise that DM inevitably involves.

I'd just repeat what I've said before, you can play [i]any[/i] kind of music on [i]any[/i] model of bass.

I've played slap funk on a Thunderbird, and heavy metal on a Marcus Miller jazz, it's all gravy.

It's all a state of mind, if you need the bass to [i]look[/i] right for your band, which is a fair point, then playing a Hofner Beatle Bass might not be right for example. So a BC Rich or an excellent Ibanez 505 or similar would be great, just don't expect the new bass to transform your playing instantly. The funk's in the fingers, not the lump of wood they're holding.

Warwick! A second hand Corvette $$ 5 string should give you a huge growly sound for not too much money.

The Ibanez SR505 is also a great call.

You might also want to try a good old Fender P bass strung BEAD. That should give a really punchy tone.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='Rayman' post='575104' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:05 AM']I'd just repeat what I've said before, you can play [i]any[/i] kind of music on [i]any[/i] model of bass.

I've played slap funk on a Thunderbird, and heavy metal on a Marcus Miller jazz, it's all gravy.[/quote]

The MM Jazz is an awesome Swiss Army Knife. I know a lot of bass players who use one, in a great variety of musical directions from funk to death metal. Great basses.

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='575148' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:36 AM']The MM Jazz is an awesome Swiss Army Knife. I know a lot of bass players who use one, in a great variety of musical directions from funk to death metal. Great basses.[/quote]

+1, MArtin MEdez is very present in a dense sounding band:

[quote name='Fraktal' post='572488' date='Aug 18 2009, 12:56 AM']Check out the Ibanez SR505. Thinnest neck in the market, perfect for fast playing, VERY light and comfortable (in fact lighter than many guitars), heavily contoured body, optimal balance, very versatile sound with Bartolini pickups and preamp, can do anything from old school wooly sounds to clanky-zingy-earthshattering metal, and if you like wood, it has the looks. I love mine![/quote]

+10000

definatly the ibanez SR505, absoutely fantastic bass, and with its really thin neck it shouldn't be a problem to play fast.

[quote name='rjb' post='575140' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:31 AM']Warwick! A second hand Corvette $$ 5 string should give you a huge growly sound for not too much money.

The Ibanez SR505 is also a great call.

You might also want to try a good old Fender P bass strung BEAD. That should give a really punchy tone.[/quote]

warwick corvette $$s are also lovely basses, but the necks on warwicks are a love/hate thing, you'll want to have a really good play on it first.

[quote name='Tait' post='575288' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:12 AM']+10000

definatly the ibanez SR505, absoutely fantastic bass, and with its really thin neck it shouldn't be a problem to play fast.[/quote]

I always found that the Ibanez and mahogany basses in general lacked the real bottom end of ash and alder basses. Fantastc wood for guitars but for basses (metal basses anyway) I never really liked them.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='576588' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:07 PM']I always found that the Ibanez and mahogany basses in general lacked the real bottom end of ash and alder basses. Fantastc wood for guitars but for basses (metal basses anyway) I never really liked them.[/quote]

you may be right, the SR series is more of an all rounder. it'd still be excellent for death metal IMO, but perhaps the ash bodied SRX series would work better?

really, its about trying stuff out and seeing what works for you. theres been plenty of people recommend ibanez, but you might find that when it comes to it, you wont like it.

[quote name='Tait' post='577028' date='Aug 21 2009, 07:29 PM']you may be right, the SR series is more of an all rounder. it'd still be excellent for death metal IMO, but perhaps the ash bodied SRX series would work better?

really, its about trying stuff out and seeing what works for you. theres been plenty of people recommend ibanez, but you might find that when it comes to it, you wont like it.[/quote]

The SRX definately sounds more suited to punk / hardcore and metal to be honest than the mahogany basses. Even my old thunderbird was a good bass but for the sound I wanted to get it just didn't have the bottom and mids of swamp ash and alder.

I've used loads of different basses in metal bands. If you are looking for something which allows you to play at speed, I'd go for a jazz. I used a Sandberg Cali JM4 and loved it.

If you are more concerned about cutting through with your tone, I'd recommend a stingray - probably something which many would disagree with, but they really do allow you to be heard.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='662220' date='Nov 22 2009, 11:49 PM']Can't say that without telling us what you went for.[/quote]

I haven't really decided yet. But atleast I know more now than before I wrote the topic. Wondering if I'm just gonna go for heavier strings and try that out, as some people mentioned!
So I'm not sure if I'm gonna buy myself a new bass yet, I tought a 5 string was needed when playing drop c. But what I see now, 4 strings to more than enough good.

but I'm really thankfull for people taking their time to reply

[quote name='Skinkemann' post='662519' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:34 AM']I tought a 5 string was needed when playing drop c. But what I see now, 4 strings to more than enough good.[/quote]

It is for me! LOL I HATE detuning bass it doesn't feel right...you never get the right feel or tone out of the strings than when it was standard.
So I play 5 and 6-string bass, tuned standard...My band plays drop-B (Fine, but different fingerings), C# standard (No open string there then) and drop G# (C# standard with lowest string dropped right down to G#)...and I still don't detune...Actually I do drop the lowest string too for one song because it's better for slap but that's as far as I go.

Who needs to play the same as the guitarist in metal anyways? So for drop-C it's up to you but for drop-B 5-string is fine.