Why become a member? ×

Gigged last night - 1 spot 2.5 HOURS for ????

BIG.J

Played a cracking little venue last night in Liverpool (Vinyl Bar)

We were on for 9PM and played for 2 1/2 Hours solid! We were only on a 10% cut of the Bar, It was pretty busy!

Our Guitarist plays the venue quite regular with another 3 piece and comes away with around £40 and a few bottles of wine thrown in. Once we packed the gear away we were pretty shocked when we were given £30 (£10 each) :rolleyes: :lol:

Our Guitarist lives in N.Wales (Rhyl) not to mention the miles both myself and the drummer clocked up between us.

Something didn't quite add up, :)

Guess that's the last time we visit that venue!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='571587' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:31 PM']I dont understand how people expect musicians to give up a night, lift gear around, and arrange everything for virtually no money. Im in the same boat.[/quote]

The worst thing is it was a Basement bar, Should have seen us trying to carry my amp & Flightcase down the old steep staircase! :)

I keep saying... "You gotta save up for these gigs!" :)

Seriously, voluntarily working for little or no money is one thing, but if it's to be a paying gig, I want to know how much I'll get payed before agreeing to the gig.
Hopefully you had fun and got some exposure if nothing else.

[quote name='BIG.J' post='571660' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:34 PM']The owner wasn't there last night and it was our guitarist who had words with the Bar Staff, He was quite gutted as we didn't expect mega bucks anyway but enough to cover expences etc & a bottle or 2 thrown in as they had done on his other gig's.

This venue has contacted him on a number of occassions for last min - Bookings! Well from now on its on our terms, If they contact him again then we will request an agreed fee? If they don't like it then we won't do it!

The venue was a cracking Sunday Night number just to top up the pocket money but £10 :)

Cheers Guys![/quote]

ive always found its best to agree a fee beforehand. £30 between you is disgusting for a 2 1/2 hour gig

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='571667' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:41 PM']ive always found its best to agree a fee beforehand. £30 between you is disgusting for a 2 1/2 hour gig[/quote]

Yup. It may be a different thing if a few bands are splitting money or whatever but for a 2.5 hr gig you should have agreed up front. We dont play anywhere that either pays in ticket money or bar percentage.

Its too much faffing about just to be shafted at the end of the night.

[quote name='The_D' post='571671' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:45 PM']Yup. It may be a different thing if a few bands are splitting money or whatever but for a 2.5 hr gig you should have agreed up front. We dont play anywhere that either pays in ticket money or bar percentage.

Its too much faffing about just to be shafted at the end of the night.[/quote]

my band agrees a flat fee, usually around £150 - £200 when we're booked. then we split it between the 3 of us.

I'm sorry to hear that you got screwed mate- that is absolutely outrageous! Vinyl is just 10 minute's walk from my flat in Aigburth, and I've played it a couple of times in the past myself (at open mic nights mind you, so no money involved). A good double-bassist friend of mine plays a jazz gig there every Monday afternoon IIRC- next time I see him I'll ask what the deal is for him and the guys...

Put it down to experience or whatever you want to call it... we have all been there, I'm sure, but make sure the lesson is learned..

The first thing to ask is always how much, and make sure you can live with the answer. You know all this, anyway..

Percentage or tickets are a total NO-NO unless you control it.

It does appear you have been taken advantage of..and that is putting it mildly..
Unfortunately, there are always some people who will undermine the deal...and some are bands themselves ..who do not help in this situation

Hopefully, you can ALL decide that this gig is to be avoided as you only get taken the pi$$ out of once..

FWIW..agree that £250 for 2x45 is the accepted price for established bands down here, in pubs

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Etienne' post='571727' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:03 PM']I'm sorry to hear that you got screwed mate- that is absolutely outrageous! Vinyl is just 10 minute's walk from my flat in Aigburth, and I've played it a couple of times in the past myself (at open mic nights mind you, so no money involved). A good double-bassist friend of mine plays a jazz gig there every Monday afternoon IIRC- next time I see him I'll ask what the deal is for him and the guys...[/quote]

That would be great! Thanks,

It realy was a one off as i also don't like ticket sales or % etc. Just thought its a night out and the money was a bonus!

Lesson Learned!!!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='571587' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:31 PM']I dont understand how people expect musicians to give up a night, lift gear around, and arrange everything for virtually no money. Im in the same boat.[/quote]

I tend to think of it as a chance to do the thing I love instead of sitting around watching TV.