Why become a member? ×

How can I remove glue left by protective film all over pickguard?

1976fenderhead

I just got a new Fender and when I removed the protective film over the pickguard, it left this thin wavy-patterned transparent layer of glue over most of it that I just can't get rid of with guitar polish. It just grabs the fibres from cloths and makes it worse, I then have to rub it with the skin of my finger to remove those fibres. Also tried soapy water on a tiny portion with a cotton bud just for testing and didn't work.

What can I use that won't damage the plastic and the bass's finish?

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='570622' date='Aug 16 2009, 01:23 PM']I just got a new Fender and when I removed the protective film over the pickguard, it left this thin wavy-patterned transparent layer of glue over most of it that I just can't get rid of with guitar polish. It just grabs the fibres from cloths and makes it worse, I then have to rub it with the skin of my finger to remove those fibres. Also tried soapy water on a tiny portion with a cotton bud just for testing and didn't work.

What can I use that won't damage the plastic and the bass's finish?[/quote]

white spirit followed by a soft cloth wetted and with washup
dry with a fibre free cloth
2 for 99p in tesco

• Like 1

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='570627' date='Aug 16 2009, 02:27 PM']Try mayonnaise. Seriously.[/quote]

This works, as does vinegar with a bit of washing up liquid. (or you can buy it as windolene)
I've never tried white spirit on plastic, but would imagine you'd get the same results as lighter fluid (the often used glue remover) which will result in a sticky blob where your scratchplate used to be. :)

Just use a kitchen towel. it'll disintegrate a bit, but you get loads on a roll :rolleyes:

[quote name='SteveO' post='570693' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:10 PM']This works, as does vinegar with a bit of washing up liquid. (or you can buy it as windolene)
I've never tried white spirit on plastic, but would imagine you'd get the same results as lighter fluid (the often used glue remover) which will result in a sticky blob where your scratchplate used to be. :lol:

Just use a kitchen towel. it'll disintegrate a bit, but you get loads on a roll :lol:[/quote]

white spirit is quite inert
lighter fluid sounds like it may not be
but i wouldnt push anyone to use it if in doubt
another fluid is methylated spirit...you can drink that... :lol: :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='mrcrow' post='570715' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:36 PM']white spirit is quite inert
lighter fluid sounds like it may not be
but i wouldnt push anyone to use it if in doubt
another fluid is methylated spirit...you can drink that... :lol: :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

I stand corrected :lol: after a little looking, white spirit is derived from paraffin and is principally composed of simple C7-C12 hydrocarbons, whereas lighterfluid (naptha) is just a light distillate of crude oil and can have loads of weird and wonderful (and presumably plastic dissolving) hydrocarbons in it.

Ooo, there's another suggestion - Paraffin :lol:

[quote name='SteveO' post='570735' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:01 PM']I stand corrected :) after a little looking, white spirit is derived from paraffin and is principally composed of simple C7-C12 hydrocarbons, whereas lighterfluid (naptha) is just a light distillate of crude oil and can have loads of weird and wonderful (and presumably plastic dissolving) hydrocarbons in it.

Ooo, there's another suggestion - Paraffin :rolleyes:[/quote]

point taken... :lol:

i got bostik glue on my rickenbacker paint and it dissolved it

i was sorry..

cheers

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='mrcrow' post='570756' date='Aug 16 2009, 05:21 PM']point taken... :)

i got bostik glue on my rickenbacker paint and it dissolved it

i was sorry..

cheers[/quote]

Sorry mate if you thought I was being sarcastic. What I meant was when I said i'd not use white spirit it was based on experience with lighter fluid. As it's not lighter fluid then I made a wrong assumption, and as you have used it then it's clearly OK. I've not used paraffin to clean plastics, but i've got a plastic carton of it in the garage so it looks safe, and white spirit being a derivative of paraffin is not gonna dissolve anything plasticy either. I was being serious about using paraffin, I remember dad using it to clean glue off something when I was a nipper, but TBH I think he's better sticking with washing up liquid. it'll come off eventually and as long as the green sponge stays away then it'll be fine :rolleyes:

Thanks, I tried wash up liquid and it didn't even touch it, window cleaner and A LOT of effort worked, apart from around the pickups and neck joint, hard to reach and even using a cotton bud to reach it and rubbing really hard I couldn't get it off... Will try some other suggestions there later...

That's some pretty nasty glue right there!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='SteveO' post='570773' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:32 PM']Sorry mate if you thought I was being sarcastic. What I meant was when I said i'd not use white spirit it was based on experience with lighter fluid. As it's not lighter fluid then I made a wrong assumption, and as you have used it then it's clearly OK. I've not used paraffin to clean plastics, but i've got a plastic carton of it in the garage so it looks safe, and white spirit being a derivative of paraffin is not gonna dissolve anything plasticy either. I was being serious about using paraffin, I remember dad using it to clean glue off something when I was a nipper, but TBH I think he's better sticking with washing up liquid. it'll come off eventually and as long as the green sponge stays away then it'll be fine :)[/quote]

you got it steve

i hope fenderhead reads this and stops giving himself aggro with water based cleaners
first the white spirit..spirit bassed..as we all are
then the wash up to tidy away any smears and smells

cheers steve
geof

[quote name='mrcrow' post='571001' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:14 PM']you got it steve

i hope fenderhead reads this and stops giving himself aggro with water based cleaners
first the white spirit..spirit bassed..as we all are
then the wash up to tidy away any smears and smells

cheers steve
geof[/quote]

Hmm the missus is a painter/sculptor and strongly advised against white spirit, and I remember when I was a kid I used to make airplane models and white spirit would completely flatten the details in the plastic...

I will try next a less diluted amount of washup liquid on the remaining bits, then will mix it with vinegar if still not good enough and see how that goes.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='571672' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:47 PM']The only one you don't seem to have tried is my suggestion of nail polish remover. Grab some off the missus (or a young emo kid!?!) and check it out. It really does work and I've used it on several of my instruments in the past.[/quote]

Be very careful... try to avoid overspill!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='571411' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:26 AM']Hmm the missus is a painter/sculptor and strongly advised against white spirit, and I remember when I was a kid I used to make airplane models and white spirit would completely flatten the details in the plastic...

I will try next a less diluted amount of washup liquid on the remaining bits, then will mix it with vinegar if still not good enough and see how that goes.[/quote]

i can understand oil painting not liking some white spirit around or linseed oil :)

maybe its not such a good idea after all...

good luck

Edited by mrcrow

White spirit should be ok on scratchplate plastic, meths I suspect would be okay as well. Besides, if it's a new bass and a new scratchplate, if you do bugger the scratch plate you can always buy a replacement from AllParts/AxesRUs/et al..

Both shouldn't damage the bass's poly finish in any case (I presume it's a poly, if it's nitro, good luck with anything but soapy water).

• 14 years later...

Meanwhile, ahead in the future by 14+ years ! WD40 just work fine this afternoon ( Put yer Marigolds on!)

for meon a 3 ply plastic Tort Fender Jazz pickguard. Bought a used bass but the film had been on this

guard for years I think. Wrinkled and a fiddle to pull off the film in several pieces. The whole guard had

seemingly most of the adhesive left all over it.

A clean cotton rag I used. Sprayed plenty WD40 on one half and rotated the rag after wiping off towards one end.

Then a new rag to do the other  half , working towards the other end. 2nd spray to finish it all off.

Then paper kitchen towel rub down followed by warm water and washing up liquid front and back. Rinse.

Looks nice n shiny. No damage to the shiny surface at all. 

So, +1 WD40 in Jan 2024. From total mess to shiny with 5 mins of work ( Once I got the chuffin film off - 45 really ! )

Cheers all.

Quent.

On 17/08/2009 at 14:47, Cat Burrito said:

The only one you don't seem to have tried is my suggestion of nail polish remover. Grab some off the missus (or a young emo kid!?!) and check it out. It really does work and I've used it on several of my instruments in the past.

Do you mean Acetone based nail polish remover ? Asking because lots of npr is now acetone free.

36 minutes ago, rmorris said:

Do you mean Acetone based nail polish remover ? Asking because lots of npr is now acetone free.

I don't know. I posted this in 2009 and I haven't spoken with the aforementioned "missus" who owned the nail polish remover in almost 14yrs! It always used to work with bog standard nail polish remover but if you are not sure, best leave it. 

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I don't know. I posted this in 2009 and I haven't spoken with the aforementioned "missus" who owned the nail polish remover in almost 14yrs! It always used to work with bog standard nail polish remover but if you are not sure, best leave it. 

Ahh! I didn't see the date on that !

I think the non-acetone stuff would be safe but maybe not as effective.

• Like 1