Why become a member? ×

Another ringer

If is ever was a £600 bass then I'm a banana!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Road-Worn-Style-P-Bass-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ150364739772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item23026fd8bc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Fender Roadworn-style bass[/url]

It looks more like a £100 Jim Deacon or similar chinese bass wrecked with a clumsy relic job & he's trying to pass it off as a fender, but spinning a yarn to distance himself from the consequences.

edit: sent him the following:
[quote]Sorry Mate: Looks like your missus should get a refund - she was ripped off. This looks more like a cheap chinese copy. The headstock shape is totally incorrect for a Fender as is the truss rod access. Its was probably worth about £100 before being trashed.[/quote]

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='566422' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:14 AM']If is ever was a £600 bass then I'm a banana!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Road-Worn-Style-P-Bass-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ150364739772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item23026fd8bc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Fender Roadworn-style bass[/url]

It looks more like a £100 Jim Deacon or similar chinese bass wrecked with a clumsy relic job & he's trying to pass it off as a fender, but spinning a yarn to distance himself from the consequences.

edit: sent him the following:[/quote]

Some idiot's bid for it, it's at £350.

Hopefully it was a shill bid and he bought it himself. Its been reported to ebay, but i wouldn't be surprised if it pops up again.

On reflection it looks like the body etc was probably from a Squier Classic Vibe 60s P, but the neck isn't the correct one for that bass and still looks like a cheapo copy.

With all this relic'ing going on, why do you never see the most common bit of damage you'd get back in the day - the cigarette burn on the headstock behind the E string?

It's a really easy one to reproduce, and every fag burn is truly authentic, too.

Just saying ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='566488' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:31 AM']With all this relic'ing going on, why do you never see the most common bit of damage you'd get back in the day - the cigarette burn on the headstock behind the E string?

It's a really easy one to reproduce, and every fag burn is truly authentic, too.

Just saying ...[/quote]

Alas.. gone are the days!! Very true though.. it is a piece classic damage.. done it myself. Well it was tremendously cool to have your burning tab poked in behind the string.. wasn't it?? :)

[quote name='Marky L' post='566613' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:11 AM']Alas.. gone are the days!! Very true though.. it is a piece classic damage.. done it myself. Well it was tremendously cool to have your burning tab poked in behind the string.. wasn't it?? :)[/quote]

I often shove an empty pack of 'Nicotinel' in there at gigs - gets a knowing laugh from some and bemusement from many!!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='566488' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:31 AM']With all this relic'ing going on, why do you never see the most common bit of damage you'd get back in the day - the cigarette burn on the headstock behind the E string?

Just saying ...[/quote]

The relic'ed Sandberg California basses have the fag burn on the headstock. Some poor guy in Germany must have to smoke tabs all day and destroy perfectly good bass guitars for a living! :)

[quote name='Davetbass' post='569065' date='Aug 14 2009, 02:27 PM']The relic'ed Sandberg California basses have the fag burn on the headstock. Some poor guy in Germany must have to smoke tabs all day and destroy perfectly good bass guitars for a living! :)[/quote]

OK, you got me.

I wasn't sure if you were serious so I took a look:

[url="http://www.doctorbass.net/en/producto.asp?id=1000170878"]http://www.doctorbass.net/en/producto.asp?id=1000170878[/url]

Serious relic'ing alright, but no fag burn! :rolleyes: