Why become a member? ×

Trevor Horn

[quote name='silddx' post='561613' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:40 PM']I really like Drama by yes, thought he and Geoff Downs did a cracking job.[/quote]

One of my all-time fave albums! Horn plays fretless bass on `Run Through The Light'. In fact, it is said that without *Drama, 90125 may not have happened - the rest is history! Plus, whilst Yes were recording that album with Horn producing, one of Yes' roadcrew was sat watching `Frankie Goes To Hollywood' when they were playing on The Tube; Horn was very impressed and the rest is again history!

Nick (Tempus Fugit and Does it Really Happen - the best tracks on there*!)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='561638' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:49 AM']One of my all-time fave albums! Horn plays fretless bass on `Run Through The Light'. In fact, it is said that without *Drama, 90125 may not have happened - the rest is history! Plus, whilst Yes were recording that album with Horn producing, one of Yes' roadcrew was sat watching `Frankie Goes To Hollywood' when they were playing on The Tube; Horn was very impressed and the rest is again history!

Nick (Tempus Fugit and Does it Really Happen - the best tracks on there*!)[/quote]

I was playing Tempus Fugit on my new Wick tonight. I love the video on the ytube! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78BivgombIE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78BivgombIE[/url]

I'd LUUURRRVE that Elektra!

[quote name='silddx' post='561613' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:40 PM']I really like Drama by yes, thought he and Geoff Downs did a cracking job.[/quote]
It's one of my favourite Yes albums. Absolutely brilliant & contains some of Squires best bass work ever.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='561846' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:42 AM']Enjoyed the track. I always did like Art of Noise considering they were predominantly an "keyboard/samples" type of band.

That performance was hardly the most exhilarating though. Lacklustre at best.[/quote]

I think it was typically bombastic - a Trevor Horn hallmark, but he's a studio bod more than an entertainer. I thought the drummers did an awesome job though - really great way to get that double tracked sound live.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='561913' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:46 PM']....I thought the drummers did an awesome job though - really great way to get that double tracked sound live....[/quote]
The dark haired drummer behind TH is Paul Robinson. He also played with Nina Simone for 20 years.... and me, on and off, for about 2! He's a very fine drummer to play with.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='561846' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:42 AM']Enjoyed the track. I always did like Art of Noise considering they were predominantly an "keyboard/samples" type of band.

That performance was hardly the most exhilarating though. Lacklustre at best.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Bit Too!..... "Close to the Edit" for me!........I'll get me Coat!.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='561638' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:49 AM']One of my all-time fave albums! Horn plays fretless bass on `Run Through The Light'. In fact, it is said that without *Drama, 90125 may not have happened - the rest is history! Plus, whilst Yes were recording that album with Horn producing, one of Yes' roadcrew was sat watching `Frankie Goes To Hollywood' when they were playing on The Tube; Horn was very impressed and the rest is again history!

Nick (Tempus Fugit and Does it Really Happen - the best tracks on there*!)[/quote]

IIRC didn't Steve Howe guest on Welcome to the Pleasure Dome? My addled memory seems to think I saw a credit on the album cover when my cousin loaned me a copy back when it came out. No doubt this would've come about because of Trevor Horn's connection to Yes around that time.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='562051' date='Aug 6 2009, 04:03 PM']IIRC didn't Steve Howe guest on Welcome to the Pleasure Dome? My addled memory seems to think I saw a credit on the album cover when my cousin loaned me a copy back when it came out. No doubt this would've come about because of Trevor Horn's connection to Yes around that time.[/quote]

I think you are correct - Steve and Trevor were very good mates and I'm sure he might have used Steve on different projects!

Going back to Drama, does anyone else love the way Squire's Taurus pedals sits underneath his bass sound, especially on the bits `Yes, Yes,' in Tempus Fugit??!

My old band, Inter recorded our album in Geoff Downs studio in Wales which was also co-owned with John Payne from Asia. Geoff ended up playing some wicked Hammond on the album and John did some backing vocals on one of the track. Got to play around with all of Geoff's keyboards. So cool.

[quote name='chris_b' post='561950' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:32 PM']The dark haired drummer behind TH is Paul Robinson. He also played with Nina Simone for 20 years.... and me, on and off, for about 2! He's a very fine drummer to play with.[/quote]
Some really gutsy and sharp playing. I was having a chat with one of our deps who did some work with Trevor Horn at one point and in a day of studio time for one song, he apparently rehearsed everyone to death by recording them and then picking up on the smallest details of timing and phrasing in each note. They'd have to rehearse the song over and over again to the point of exhaustion. Then he'd take them off for lunch and when they came back he'd start recording takes. Invariably what happened is that the first take was the best combination of precision timing and feel. Subsequent takes lost a bit of energy, so it seems like Mr Horn has an interesting insight into how to get the best out of musicians.

Was that bass an Avella BTW? I know he's played Lakland 5502's in the past.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='562513' date='Aug 7 2009, 08:22 AM']Is it me or are those bass strings ridiculously thin? See around 3:16....

I think it's cool bass playing, and cool drumming. The song is good but the performance is a bit boring to watch![/quote]

Yeah, some great bass playing. Never realised he was such a comtetant bass player. It's odd as he does not look like a bass player or shall I say, he looks uncomfortable playing bass despite being very good.