Why become a member? ×

Precision Land

OldGit

Found myself in an odd transient situation today so I thought I'd post a pic:

[attachment=30218:5Precisions.jpg]

Left to right:
- Fecker Pretender: Sunburst/Tort/Rosewood SX/Noname heavily modded by BassBunny. (Sold and off to James "Moos3h" tomorrow)
- Fender Japan 62 Re-issue Vintage White/Tort/Rosewood, non-export (Possibly for sale, one of the Japanese P basses has to go)
- Fender Japan 1980's '57 Re-Issue CAR/White/Maple non-export (Possibly for sale, one of the Japanese P basses has to go)
- Red/White/Rosewood USA 1979. The "Pass The Dutchie" bass :) (For sale in September, or now if you are dead keen)
- Sunburst/Tort/Rosewood Shuker Custom 5 string P (Not for sale! Never, ever, ever :rolleyes: )

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='559746' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:35 PM']Nice set, I'm particularly liking the vintage white 62 RI[/quote]

Ta Each is different and fine in it's own way. I have yet to play the Japanese ones in a gig situation to decide between them. The 62 is my natural choice as rosewood feels best. However the cheeky old '57 has a nice feel too .. Oh dear!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='559755' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:40 PM']Nice, apart from the red ones :)[/quote]

Ha ha
It's funny but I didn't think I like red ones but I seem to be really laid back about colours these days, as long sas tehy play and sound Ok.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='559757' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:41 PM']I was about to say you have more P-basses than me until I realised you are selling most of them! The CIJ stuff is always excellent. Nice collection, a shame to break it up[/quote]

Well it's not a collection as such. It's a transient state en route to a 3 bass sollution :)

[quote name='Stag' post='559807' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:30 PM']Can someone explain to me why I have never owned a P-Bass... not even a copy? Even though I occasionally play my singers 75' P-Bass and its lovely?[/quote]

Cos you've not PM'd me an offer for my 79 P bass?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='560422' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:32 PM']They do a nice Fiesta red though - on the 50s RI model[/quote]

Heres a nice fiesta red from 64 but sadly not original but still my baby since about 69
plus cij sunburst, cij white, lakeland jo, and a classic vibe in the background

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='bumnote' post='560519' date='Aug 4 2009, 07:00 PM']Heres a nice fiesta red from 64 but sadly not original but still my baby since about 69
plus cij sunburst, cij white, lakeland jo, and a classic vibe in the background[/quote]

Thats orange! :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='561318' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:46 PM']Tell me OG, what is it that makes the Shuker stand out above the rest (apart from the extra string)?

Is it build quality, dimensions, weight, tone, a bit of everything etc?[/quote]

I've played it mate at the same time I picked up the SX and it just feels a cut above it's not something I can pu my finger on, it's just feels like a quality instrument.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='561318' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:46 PM']Tell me OG, what is it that makes the Shuker stand out above the rest (apart from the extra string)?

Is it build quality, dimensions, weight, tone, a bit of everything etc?[/quote]

Good question.
Tricky to answer as I am sure you know from your own experiences with hand built basses. The bottom line is that it feels absolutely right and it sounds better.
When I first went to order it I played my USS P bass against the JJ Burnel Jon had there. That was like the difference between a rainbow in greys and one in colour. Mine is esentially a JJB with a fe mods but the same difference is there.
Hard as it is to describe sounds, that kind of summed it up.
I like lots of overtones and harmonics nestling away in the notes I play and a full sound. The Shuker has that.
It also has a fabulous neck, super thin and flat; the balance is perfect, and the inherent tonal solidity of the instrument is fab. Acoustically it just sings.

But the real difference, of course, is that it has side LEDs :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='559816' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:41 PM']Cos you've not PM'd me an offer for my 79 P bass?[/quote]

if I could afford what you would need/want for it mate id probably have a punt... but I am skint after the last 2 GAS attacks! Is a pretty looking thing. Is it heavy? That '75 ive been tinkling on every now and then is pretty light IMO (but I am used to Ricks and my Gibbo which weighs a ton)