Why become a member? ×

Precision Land

OldGit

[quote name='Stag' post='566272' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:39 PM']if I could afford what you would need/want for it mate id probably have a punt... but I am skint after the last 2 GAS attacks! Is a pretty looking thing. Is it heavy? That '75 ive been tinkling on every now and then is pretty light IMO (but I am used to Ricks and my Gibbo which weighs a ton)[/quote]

Oh yeah it's light compared to a Gibson. Just 4.3 kilos / 9.4 lbs on the bathroom scales ..
It's on the heavy side for a P bass..

[quote name='funkyveed' post='566439' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:04 AM']Hi, im new to this site and still trying to figure it out!
i might be interested in your japanese P basses, can you tell me the years they were made?

Thanks![/quote]

Sure ..
The 57 re-issue if for sale. I'm keeping the '62 (for now anyway ... who knows :) )
Serial number on the neck suggests 84-88 according to the Guitar Dater Project but the neck end date in pencil is 89.
PM me for more info. images etc.
Cheers
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='559739' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:27 PM']Found myself in an odd transient situation today so I thought I'd post a pic:[/quote]

Read this before the pic appeared... was a bit worried for a second!

Have to say I'm still P-curious, even after 2 failed attempts. Don't think I gave either bass a fair crack of the whip. Maybe someday soon I can try again. Nice wee collection OG!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='566555' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:02 AM']Some really nice basses here, especially your Shuker P5 which I've admired before, but I've tried and tried and can't get on with the Precision sound. I've had three and thrown in the towel. Maybe the last ditch attempt will be either a Shuker or the new Fender P5. Who knows?[/quote]

Ha ha yeah I get like that with Jazzes ..
Funny that we feel we should get on with them all isn't it :)

[quote name='Bigwan' post='566631' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:32 AM']Read this before the pic appeared... was a bit worried for a second!

Have to say I'm still P-curious, even after 2 failed attempts. Don't think I gave either bass a fair crack of the whip. Maybe someday soon I can try again. Nice wee collection OG![/quote]

Not a collector by nature so I aim to end up with just the ones I play.... honest! :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='funkyveed' post='566439' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:04 AM']Hi, im new to this site and still trying to figure it out!
i might be interested in your japanese P basses, can you tell me the years they were made?

Thanks![/quote]

There's a white 62 RI for sale on here
Not mine :) Stll have the red 57 RI and the real red 79 USA ones for sale should you be tempted...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=59551&view=findpost&p=588982"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=588982[/url]

Glad I spotted this thread - I've just received a bass that I bought on Ebay and was a bit curious of the colour.

It looks like mine is a '57 RI E series in CAR but my one has the rosewood fretboard. I'm not sure if you can date the pots like on the US models but when I'm changing the strings I'll probably whip the neck off and check the date on it - the previous owner reckoned 1985.

If I like it I could be back in touch to see about getting the matching maple one :brow:

[quote name='Delberthot' post='589139' date='Sep 3 2009, 09:36 PM']Glad I spotted this thread - I've just received a bass that I bought on Ebay and was a bit curious of the colour.

It looks like mine is a '57 RI E series in CAR but my one has the rosewood fretboard. I'm not sure if you can date the pots like on the US models but when I'm changing the strings I'll probably whip the neck off and check the date on it - the previous owner reckoned 1985.

If I like it I could be back in touch to see about getting the matching maple one :brow:[/quote]

Oh yes you certainly should have a pair. It's only natural :)

The 57 has a maple fretboard and a single ply scratch plate .. That's the key differences...
When you get the neck off look for the model number too. PB62 or PB57 plus Ex for export, D for domestic, usually.
You can date them from the s/n on the Guitar Dater website
[url="http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx"]http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx[/url]

Edited by OldGit

I tried that website and it just gives me the generic info rather than a close date of manufacture.

[quote]Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1984 - 1987

Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation

Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation was opened in may 1960, they initially started manufacturing violins and quickly switched to classical guitar production. In 1962 electric guitar construction was started. Fujigen has a reputation for excellent quality and craftsmanship so the guitars they produce are highly regarded. They produce guitars via OEM for famous brands such as Ibanez, Epiphone, Yamaha and Fender (the import Special Interest Group nature model), G&L and others.[/quote]

As a former multiple Musicman owner I think its pretty strange that there isn't a similar site to the one that you can access through the EB forums that gives all the information about the different models, changes etc given the popularity and simply the name 'Fender'.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='589342' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:43 AM']I tried that website and it just gives me the generic info rather than a close date of manufacture.

As a former multiple Musicman owner I think its pretty strange that there isn't a similar site to the one that you can access through the EB forums that gives all the information about the different models, changes etc given the popularity and simply the name 'Fender'.[/quote]

I guess Stingrays and such are less "run of the mill" production line basses and the info was recorded better. For Fenders I think it's all way too complex to do. Too many years, models, specials etc and no one making notes from 1954...

The neck end number will 05 (that's the code for a Precision), a number that is the week and year. So my CAR '57 has 5 31 89, even though the s/n says 84-88 on Guitar Dater. However the s/n (which is also on the neck, of course) may have been applied to the neck a long time before the neck was finished.
Whole bass completion dates are all esitmates anyway as batches of necks can sit on racks for months before they are made into whole basses. Same with pot dates and bodies...

I've just had the neck off and it ain't any clearer.

The code on both neck and body is "PB 562". I can't see an actual date code. It has the large 'F' on the neck plate, the serial number is on the headstock and one rally weird thing is that the cap looks like nothing I've ever seen before - a slim plastic rectangle about 10mmx15mm.

Anyway, we'll see what its like then when I gig it in a couple of weeks time

[quote name='Delberthot' post='592257' date='Sep 7 2009, 05:27 PM']I've just had the neck off and it ain't any clearer.

The code on both neck and body is "PB 562". I can't see an actual date code. It has the large 'F' on the neck plate, the serial number is on the headstock and one rally weird thing is that the cap looks like nothing I've ever seen before - a slim plastic rectangle about 10mmx15mm.

Anyway, we'll see what its like then when I gig it in a couple of weeks time[/quote]

Oh well I guess you'll have to trust the s/n then :)
I belive the F on the neck plate was a feature of the 80's ones and disapeared later.

nice nice nice...etc
price price price...etc

interested in this ??

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/34963887@N02/sets/72157621683978205/show/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/34963887@N02/...683978205/show/[/url]

jon is selling it

Edited by mrcrow

• 5 weeks later...

If there's anyone still in this thread :)

Some people expressed an interest in the white 62 RI.
An incoming sunburst version of the same thing (which is what I really wanted all along :rolleyes:) means that both japanese Precisions are now up for grabs:

- Fender Japan 62 Re-issue Vintage White/Tort/Rosewood, non-export CIJ £350
- Fender Japan 1980's '57 Re-Issue CAR/White/Maple non-export MIJ £350
Small pic on the first post [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=56416&view=findpost&p=559739"]Here[/url]

I'll do a for sale thread as soon as I've go the sunburst and made sure it's the right bass for me but this is a heads up and invitation to PM for pictures.
Send me an email address and I'll link you to the webshots galleries for each.

Thanks

OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='621381' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:24 AM']If there's anyone still in this thread :)

Some people expressed an interest in the white 62 RI.
An incoming sunburst version of the same thing (which is what I really wanted all along :rolleyes:) means that both japanese Precisions are now up for grabs:

- Fender Japan 62 Re-issue Vintage White/Tort/Rosewood, non-export CIJ £350
- Fender Japan 1980's '57 Re-Issue CAR/White/Maple non-export MIJ £350
Small pic on the first post [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=56416&view=findpost&p=559739"]Here[/url]

I'll do a for sale thread as soon as I've go the sunburst and made sure it's the right bass for me but this is a heads up and invitation to PM for pictures.
Send me an email address and I'll link you to the webshots galleries for each.

Thanks

OG[/quote]

I had a fair fews PMs for my 62 reissue, so you will no doubt get plenty after it! Good price as well :lol:

As much as I wanted to keep it, I cannot just keep things forever.

Good luck

[quote name='Musicman20' post='621424' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:59 AM']I had a fair fews PMs for my 62 reissue, so you will no doubt get plenty after it! Good price as well :)

As much as I wanted to keep it, I cannot just keep things forever.

Good luck[/quote]

Thansk matey and sorry for hijacking your thread ... :rolleyes:

[quote name='OldGit' post='621425' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:00 AM']Thansk matey and sorry for hijacking your thread ... :)[/quote]

Hey thats absolutely fine, you helped me out anyway with a value and some links to the thread.

I have PM'd one of the chaps who was second in line so he might be in touch with you about yours :rolleyes:

Good luck!

[quote name='metaltime' post='621437' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:11 AM']Ive never liked P basses but this thread s giving my gas. I don't no whats the matter with me :lol: :rolleyes:[/quote]

No matter what basses a player owns, EVERYONE needs a proper Precision. Something about the sound/look draws me in everytime.

:)

[quote name='Rayman' post='621723' date='Oct 9 2009, 03:28 PM']Why do I keep going back to the red Precision? I really fancied that when you had it up for sale, I get serious vibes from it.[/quote]

Do you a nice red 57 RI :)

The red 79's still available if you fancy paying a shop price :rolleyes: Cardiff guitars has it. Its the "78" lipstick red one listed on here ..
[url="http://www.cardiffguitars.co.uk/ForSale/sh/sh.aspx"]http://www.cardiffguitars.co.uk/ForSale/sh/sh.aspx[/url]