Why become a member? ×

I really need help

coconi_fan

Last week a friend gave me her bass but I accidently dropped it and damaged it beyond repair so what I wanted is find what sort of bass it is and where I can buy an exact replacement she has gone to America so is as yet she doesn't know it's damaged
Here's an image before it was damaged

[attachment=30095:047_ROCKINGHAM.jpg]

If it helps it has DeArmond and Pilot write on it. I really don't wish to tell her I've broken it so if I can find a replacement it would be much appreciated

[quote name='coconi_fan' post='558288' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:50 AM']Last week a friend gave me her bass but I accidently dropped it and damaged it beyond repair so what I wanted is find what sort of bass it is and where I can buy an exact replacement she has gone to America so is as yet she doesn't know it's damaged

If it helps it has DeArmond and Pilot write on it. I really don't wish to tell her I've broken it so if I can find a replacement it would be much appreciated[/quote]

Oh dear mate, I hope your loaded, that's about £2000 worth of bass :)

If that is a £120 bass you may want to come clean and offer to buy her a new one. If the damage is bad the cost of getting it fixed may be better spent on getting a better bass.
Unless she is really attached to it that is in which case I'd wear a box and stand well back when you tell her....

Oh and you'll never find a bass that will fool her into thinking it's the same one, if that was your intention (like the cat in "Meet the parents" what rot.. ). They have characteristics and small marks and things like wood grain patterns that owners notice.

[quote name='coconi_fan' post='558288' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:50 AM'][attachment=30095:047_ROCKINGHAM.jpg][/quote]
Is that your friend? :)

Anyway, I think you should do the decent thing and own up. Tell her you'll take it to get repaired if she wants but ask her if there's something else she'd like instead? She might like the idea of a change.

I'd be livid if someone broke my property and didn't say anything.

[quote name='coconi_fan' post='558288' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:50 AM']Last week a friend gave me her bass but I accidently dropped it and damaged it beyond repair so what I wanted is find what sort of bass it is and where I can buy an exact replacement she has gone to America so is as yet she doesn't know it's damaged

If it helps it has DeArmond and Pilot write on it. I really don't wish to tell her I've broken it so if I can find a replacement it would be much appreciated[/quote]

Wow, your friend is yummy. Whats the band she's in?

I think the best thing to do is to come clean to your friend and offer to buy her a new bass of her choice or offer to get it repaired. As already mentioned, she might notice its not the same bass if you try and trick her by getting an exact copy. My Lakland is mint but the varnish on the neck has faded away in a certain area and probably, I am the only one who would notice this. Her bass might have little things that only she knows about. Plus, if she's a good friend then she will understand and respect you for being honest.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

[quote name='OldGit' post='558330' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:59 AM'](like the cat in "Meet the parents" what rot.. ). They have characteristics and small marks and things like wood grain patterns that owners notice.[/quote]

...you have a cat made of wood? kudos!

[quote name='Eight' post='558341' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:03 AM']Is that your friend? :)
but ask her if there's something else she'd like instead? She might like the idea of a change.[/quote]

...like a hairdryer or washing machine, cooker etc.

...well someone had to stand in for the BBC.

Hmmm - good looking, plays bass, sings too and able to balance an apple on her head all at the same time! :)
Anyhoo, as has been suggested, I'd go along with coming clean.
The cost of repair may well out-weigh, or at least be close to, the value of the bass (if it's not sentimental to your friend).
She might appreciate a 'new' bass instead(?).

A company that paints parts for where I work are going to repaint the it they have somebody who know a bit about guitars and promise it'll look as good as new and it won't cost me a penny. If she dose notice a difference she won't be as upset if look as good as they promise

For those asking what band she is in... well my user name is a give away - CoConi

[quote name='coconi_fan' post='560570' date='Aug 4 2009, 08:06 PM']A company that paints parts for where I work are going to repaint the it they have somebody who know a bit about guitars and promise it'll look as good as new and it won't cost me a penny. If she dose notice a difference she won't be as upset if look as good as they promise

For those asking what band she is in... well my user name is a give away - CoConi[/quote]
I can't speak for the woman concerned but if it was my bass I'd expect to be consulted [i]before[/i] any work was done, especially a full refinish, and not presented with a fait accompli done by someone I perhaps didn't approve of.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='560821' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:21 AM']I can't speak for the woman concerned but if it was my bass I'd expect to be consulted [i]before[/i] any work was done, especially a full refinish, and not presented with a fait accompli done by someone I perhaps didn't approve of.[/quote]

+1
She may like the mojo :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='560821' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:21 AM']I can't speak for the woman concerned but if it was my bass I'd expect to be consulted [i]before[/i] any work was done, especially a full refinish, and not presented with a fait accompli done by someone I perhaps didn't approve of.[/quote]

+1. Ok, you dropped it-accidents happen. Far better to come clean and offer to put right the damage than to try and do it on the quiet and hope she doesn't notice.