Why become a member? ×

My band gigging without me

Clarky

From what you're saying, this gig might be a pretty big deal for your singer. If Birmingham is his home town, then he must be really keen to give his family and friends there a chance to see him play a show. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, they could have asked, and whatever their reasoning behind it, it could've been explained to you a bit better, but if you're based halfway across the country from your home town, wouldn't you jump at the chance to gig in front of your family/friends/whoever and show them all how badass you are?

The aftermath:

I sent a text at 10.30pm on the evening of the gig saying "How was it guys?"

I got two independent texts almost simultaneously saying "Your job is safe"

A second text from the drummer merely said "Shambolic"

Whatever the rights and wrongs and the debates on this thread, it sounds like they won't be doing that again. Doubtless I will get a full run-down on Monday at our next rehearsal

[quote name='Clarky' post='563564' date='Aug 8 2009, 04:46 PM']I got two independent texts almost simultaneously saying "Your job is safe"

A second text from the drummer merely said "Shambolic"[/quote]
This would be the point where I'd tell them to stick the band up their arses & let them come begging..... :)

I know it's a bit different because it's a 3-piece, but the bassist always gets replaced for a gig or so all the time. Especially with things like international gigs with visas, etc. I mean, if I'm working on a night where the band has a gig, we either say no, or, if it's too late to cancel, get someone else to play... like the lead singer :) oh yeah... 3 piece...

If you play originals & some of the songs are written around basslines, then your band will have realised that you are a major component of the band's sound. My band have told me this whenever I miss any rehearsals, but if we had a gig & I couldn't make it, I would ask them to get someone & I would go over basslines with them if they wanted.
I know my job is safe in both bands, not because I'm good on bass, but because I help write songs & I get on great with the band (I didn't know them before we formed except the guitarist who I knew from work, but didn't work beside).

I didn't vote because none of the answers fall under what I would do. First one is closest tho.

Good luck with your next gig. :)