Why become a member? ×

Westone bass guitars - what do people think of them?

CathalOC

Hello everyone

I just joined yesterday. I have been playing bass for years without knowing a whole lot about bass guitars.

I played a Westone in a shop yesterday. I had never heard of the make before and it sounded pretty nice.

It is called Westone Spectrum GT Bass and the shop owner reckons it was made in 1985.

It's in reasonable condition and on sale for £199. I had a look at some older threads and did a google search on Westone but I was hoping that some of you might be able to enlighten me on these guitars and whether or not it sounds like a good deal.

thanks in advance

Cathal

I remember Westone as a cheap and cheerful range of instruments of Far Eastern origin. A notch below the usual Japanese names. It doesn't sound like a good deal to me, but it's not my money. The proper experts will be along soon.

[quote name='stevie' post='555359' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:40 PM']I remember Westone as a cheap and cheerful range of instruments of Far Eastern origin. A notch below the usual Japanese names. It doesn't sound like a good deal to me, but it's not my money. The proper experts will be along soon.[/quote]

That's exactly the kind of info I'm after - thank you Stevie :-)

Have a look at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49569"]this[/url] thread. In between the sales info there is a reasonable amount of other info about them. They seem to be considered good quality for the price (if the price is right!) :)

Edited by bythesea

To echo everyone else, Westones are top-quality but mostly cheap & cheerful JapCrap, built by Matsumoku, which was rightly regarded as one of the best Japanese manufacturers in the 70s & 80s.

200 sovs is somewhat OTT for a Spectrum - they go for a lot less than that on Ebay, often under a ton.

If you fancy a Westy, have a look at the basses for sale board here, there were a couple of Thunders up recently for very good money, don't know if they sold or not.

Jon.

[quote name='CathalOC' post='555354' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:35 PM']Hello everyone[/quote]

See, Cathal? The wealth of knowledge and experience on here is sometimes quite astonishing. Stick around and maybe you can contribute your own particular brand of special expertise for the common good.

My first bass was a Westone Spectrum 1. Bought it for £100 about 20 yrs ago. It was alright, the pots were a bit naff. But I still loved it to bits.
Considering buying it back off the mate I sold it to just for old times sake. I always liked westies.
Must say the price the shop is asking seems to me a little OTT but I'm no expert. there are others on the forum with better knowledge

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='555420' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:38 PM']The Spectrums aren't as good as the Thunder series (which are very good indeed).
It's worth watching ebay as you'll get a much better Thunder for less that the price of that Spectrum[/quote]
+1 on the above

`thunder` series is really the one to consider.

good luck !

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='555500' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:48 PM']I started out on a Thunder IA. Brilliant beginner basses - weigh a ton though![/quote]

Just curious - did you have a painted or natural one? I've only ever tried two Thunders (both natural) and I don't remember thinking they were heavy, though it was a long time ago. The painted ones had maple bodies though.

[quote name='Musky' post='555597' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:14 PM']Just curious - did you have a painted or natural one? I've only ever tried two Thunders (both natural) and I don't remember thinking they were heavy, though it was a long time ago. The painted ones had maple bodies though.[/quote]

Yep it was a black and natural coloured one. Early 1983 version, brass hardware probably didn't help the weight !!

Identical to this one...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Westone-Thunder-1A-Bass-Guitar-Matsumoku-MIJ_W0QQitemZ180388219223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item29fff9c957&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1121|293%3A2|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Westone-Thun...93%3A2|294%3A50[/url]

• Like 1

[quote name='RichB' post='555627' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:44 PM']I was going to put a thread on about Westones. My drummer took the p@*s when I said that was my first bass. But it would appear they are generally well regarded.[/quote]

Loads of people in the 80s used Westones - they were the cheaper version of the Aria Pro range and were great basses. The Matsumoko factory was churning out some great stuff then and Westones - especially the Thunder series were great basses. The QC and build on them was amazing when you compare it with stuff nowadays. There was a lot of snobbery back then in the bass world - if it wasn't a Fender or Musicman you tended to get looked down on, especially as Westones were available in the Freemans catalogue (no jokes about the lingerie section please... :) ). Seeing as most teenagers were skint back then, stuff like Aria and Westone were a god-send.

One thing I do remember is that their active pre-amps used to eat batteries at a rate of knots.

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Like 2

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='555625' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:42 PM']Yep it was a black and natural coloured one. Early 1983 version, brass hardware probably didn't help the weight !!

Identical to this one...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Westone-Thunder-1A-Bass-Guitar-Matsumoku-MIJ_W0QQitemZ180388219223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item29fff9c957&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1121|293%3A2|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Westone-Thun...93%3A2|294%3A50[/url][/quote]

That's interesting - that's an ash bodied one. The maple versions were completely back.

Maybe my memory isn't what I thought is was. :)

For the seriously Westone-curious there's an excellent & comprehensive website:

[url="http://www.westone.info/"]http://www.westone.info/[/url]

It's a strange to think they didn't have a particularly great reputation back in the day - simply because they were cheap. I don't think anyone realised (I certainly didn't) that they were coming off the same production line as the Aria Pro SB series - which had plenty of professional endorsement & was priced accordingly.

The fact that there are still so many of them around is testament to how solid & popular they were.

J.

• Like 1

[quote name='Musky' post='555863' date='Jul 30 2009, 08:52 AM']That's interesting - that's an ash bodied one. The maple versions were completely back.

Maybe my memory isn't what I thought is was. :)[/quote]

Could have something to do with the fact I was a complete wimp when I was 13 :rolleyes: :lol:

I have bought a Westone Thunder Jet pretty recently and I have to say it's a great bass well worth every penny and more. Paid about £100 and it's in great nick considering it's about 25 years old, some buckle rash and non-original knobs but it just gives it a bit of character