Why become a member? ×

RIM Custom JAZZ bass

BassBalls

Hey

As some of you may have noticed from Robbie's own section of the forum, he is building me a custom jazz bass.

The story goes, i wanted to get a custom jazz bass for a long time because i wasn't very happy with what's on the market at the moment. I contacted Robbie expecting him to knock me back being that he mostly does his own custom shapes and a few very special custom orders.

However, he revealed to me that he had been considering making his own range of Jazz basses for long time and i had popped along at just the right moment!

So here we are now, after a few meetings and discussions about the bass its actually happening!

The spec is as follows...

35" scale length 5 string Jazz bass.
Black Limba (Korina) single piece body.
Three piece maple neck, flame on the back, birdseye maple fret-board. The neck will also have black block inlays!
Robbie's new Jazz headstock design.
Delano musicman humbucker at the bridge, single jazz pickup at the neck.
Hipshot hardware and string through the body bridge.
Not decided on a pre-amp yet! Its going to be good though!

Some pictures

[attachment=29759:DSC00151.jpg]

[attachment=29760:DSC00516.jpg]

More pictures when they arrive. Feel free to post here asking questions and making suggestions. :)

Edited by BassBalls

AMAZING!

I have admired RIM basses for a while now but I am a big chap and a Jazz or P are about the only thing that looks in proportion. I cannot wait to see this develop and might even be tempted to take the plunge (if he will make another one). Can you let the headstock design out the bag?????

keep us updated.

Nope, not getting the board bound. I dont think it will complement the bass too well, want to try and make it flow from neck to body a smooth as possible.

Ill let you all in on the headstock design soon, the basic design is there but the finer details need to be ironed out. Robbie is a perfectionist so im sure the final shape will come out great.

Sounds a bit sim to my single cut five stg without the maple board that
Robbie made for me about 3 years ago.
My neck has the same dimensions as the Marcus Miller Jazz 5.
Just fab to play.
Good luck with the build. :)

[attachment=29917:RIM_1.jpg]

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small up date for you all.

Robbie has sent the birdseye maple board off to Haydn Williams who is the Senior Luthier at Overwater. He will be putting in the Ebony block inlays for my bass. Im so pleased to have two amazing Luthiers working on various parts off my bass! Its going to be a truly beautiful instrument when its finished. Ill post a pick of the neck as and when i get the pictures!

I have always loved the look of Garry's (lowdown) single cut. Seeing that pickup arrangement definitely influenced the ones im having in mine.

• 1 month later...

Some exciting progress. The finger board is back from Haydn and as you can see, he's done a great job.

[attachment=33091:Raysbass...board021.jpg]

[attachment=33092:Raysbass...board022.jpg]

The birdseye has come out beautifully and the subtle grain lines going through the inlays look fantastic. Robbie has also had the neck glued up for a while now and is ready to start shaping it.

[attachment=33094:DSC00517.jpg]

I also have a nice picture of the body with a scratch-plate on it just to give an idea of how the bass will look.

[attachment=33093:DSC00580.jpg]

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NJE' post='554442' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:13 PM']AMAZING!

I have admired RIM basses for a while now but I am a big chap and a Jazz or P are about the only thing that looks in proportion. I cannot wait to see this develop and might even be tempted to take the plunge (if he will make another one). Can you let the headstock design out the bag?????

keep us updated.[/quote]

The headstock design has now been finalised and im very very pleased with how it has come out. :)

[attachment=33728:DSC00601.jpg]

[attachment=33729:DSC00600.jpg]

What do you guys think of the design?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys sorry for the long silence! Lots of progress is being made.

The neck is almost done.

[attachment=35577:DSC00646.jpg]

I suggested the metal insert to make the headstock a bottle opener and Robbie thought it was a great idea. He might make it an optional extra! :)

[attachment=35579:DSC00649.jpg]

Robbie has also done a great job smoothing off the edges.

[attachment=35580:DSC00657.jpg]

Im loving all the grain figuring. Cant wait to get some strings on it!

I really like the look of Robbies work. And I love the look of this bass the woods really compliment each other visually and should do sonically, and it's nice to see a custom build that isn't to OTT with crazy Burls etc.

Realy looking forward to seeing this finished.

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='651319' date='Nov 11 2009, 08:50 AM']People describe Sadowsky's as Jazzes on Steroids..... how on earth can you describe that beast?![/quote]

Some people are very odd, my US Jazz is MUCH more mouthy than the US Sad that I gigged a few weeks ago!

Still loving this build!
Si

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, loads more progress on the bass which is cool. Body shaping and routing is pretty much done.

[attachment=38086:DSC00682.jpg]

The headstock has also been shaped and the 'R' insert is in.

[attachment=38087:DSC00683.jpg]

The neck has been sculpted into its final shape and the bolts have been mounted.

[attachment=38088:DSC00693.jpg]

[attachment=38089:DSC00701.jpg]

Last but not least, the frets have been pressed in. The extra length on the frets are a custom feature so i can do some killer bends! :) (only kidding)

[attachment=38090:DSC00704.jpg]

The bass will be ready for a test drive before "finishing" on Friday next week. Pictures will follow!