Why become a member? ×

Broken Wings

hodgsonk

I'm referring to [url="http://open.spotify.com/track/3t1am8mmUOYWtUvBbwEVwa"]this track[/url] for those who don't it.

Yes, it's one of those typical cheesy 80's tunes, but having listened to it again since starting to learn the bass, it actually has an amazing simple, yet effective bass line. I find it very interesting these days listening to all my music and actually listening out for the bass line.

[quote name='hodgsonk' post='552729' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:23 PM']I'm referring to [url="http://open.spotify.com/track/3t1am8mmUOYWtUvBbwEVwa"]this track[/url] for those who don't it.

Yes, [b]it's one of those typical cheesy 80's tunes[/b], but having listened to it again since starting to learn the bass, it actually has an amazing simple, yet effective bass line. I find it very interesting these days listening to all my music and actually listening out for the bass line.[/quote]
"...it's one of those [i]typical cheesy 80's tunes[/i]..." ???
er...I beg to differ!
I know the 80's had it's fair share of cheesy stuff - as did the 60's/70's/90's and now the noughties - but 'Broken Wings', for me, ain't one of 'em. :rolleyes:
Come to that, I'd have to say neither is their other classic track, 'Kyrie'.
But you're certainly right that it's a simple yet effective bass line. :)

p.s. - IMHO :lol:

[quote name='Stingray5' post='552764' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:53 PM']"...it's one of those [i]typical cheesy 80's tunes[/i]..." ???
er...I beg to differ!
I know the 80's had it's fair share of cheesy stuff - as did the 60's/70's/90's and now the noughties - but 'Broken Wings', for me, ain't one of 'em. :rolleyes:

p.s. - IMHO :lol:[/quote]

For the record, I'm an absolute sucker for 80's stuff... and I'd forgotten about Kyrie, thanks for reminding me.

Just buy the album- "Welcome to the Real World"...
It's excellent.
Barely a duff track in there!

(I like [i]Tangent Tears [/i]and [i]Welcome to the Real World[/i] myself)

Edit- I still can't understand why people slate the 80's more than any other decade. The 60's, 70's and 90's have produced similar quality/rubbish ratios in terms of music!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Ah!

The halcyon days! That particular song reminds me so much of the end of term school discos we used to go to! The angst, high emotions and paper cups full of orange squash! (not to mention my Dad's white Italian shoes that I used to `borrow'!!!).

Actually, the bass on that track is mostly a Yamaha DX-7 - I recall being most upset at not being able to recreate that actual tone whilst trying out a BB2000 in Chappells (in Central Milton Keynes, back in the day!).

Would love to go back to those innocent days...!

Nick

[quote name='crez5150' post='553522' date='Jul 28 2009, 08:18 AM']Boys of Summer is another.......[/quote]

Agreed.
Just finished learning that last night in fact. We've done a splice of the Henley version + The Ataris. Gives it some interest later on to prevent it from being another Summer of 69

[quote name='Stingray5' post='552764' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:53 PM']"...it's one of those [i]typical cheesy 80's tunes[/i]..." ???
er...I beg to differ!

p.s. - IMHO :lol:[/quote]

Britain being the home where novelty songs can top the charts, this song is well off the cheeseboard. Quasi religious, maybe, there were a few in the 80s, ... but fromage is Simon Cowell in a dog suit doing the bow wows.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='554139' date='Jul 28 2009, 04:33 PM']Britain being the home where novelty songs can top the charts, this song is well off the cheeseboard. Quasi religious, maybe, there were a few in the 80s, ... but fromage is Simon Cowell in a dog suit doing the bow wows.[/quote]
Agreed! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='552967' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:02 PM']Just buy the album- "Welcome to the Real World"...
It's excellent.
Barely a duff track in there!

(I like [i]Tangent Tears [/i]and [i]Welcome to the Real World[/i] myself)

Edit- I still can't understand why people slate the 80's more than any other decade. The 60's, 70's and 90's have produced similar quality/rubbish ratios in terms of music![/quote]

+ 1 its a brilliant album and well worth getting.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='552967' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:02 PM']Edit- I still can't understand why people slate the 80's more than any other decade. The 60's, 70's and 90's have produced similar quality/rubbish ratios in terms of music![/quote]

IMO - its less to do with the quality of output, but more the attitude and brashness that accompanied it. The 80's took itself more seriously than any other decade and gets a resultant ribbing because of it.