Why become a member? ×

Gig Dilemma

Pete Academy

Our band Nearly Dan are booked to play the Assembly in Leamington Spa next Thursday 30 July (first time there). We have booked this through an agent (not something we usually do) and are on a really good fixed fee. The problem is that, at present, we have sold only about 50 tickets. The temptation is to do the gig and take the money. However, we don't want to be seen as charging high fees and playing to low audience numbers.

I asked Mark from Bass Direct what he thought, as he lives there. He said there was little chance of getting a good crowd because of the holidays.

Has anyone played there before around this time? We'd like at least 100 people. Is the walk-up good for this venue?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='548011' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:14 PM']However, we don't want to be seen as charging high fees and playing to low audience numbers.[/quote]

Seen by whom, Pete?

If you're worried that the audience think they're being ripped off, then buy them a drink - I'm not joking!

If you're worried that the venue thinks it's being ripped off, refer the Manager to the Promoter.

If you're worried that the Promoter thinks he's being ripped off, then (as Luke says) ask him who's supposed to be promoting the gig.

If you're worried about the national press coverage ... then it's a nice problem to have. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the gig. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='548085' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:05 PM']This has been a tough year because of the economic climate. We've advertised in the national press at a high cost, but getting bums on seats has been a nightmare.

Anyone else suffered from this?[/quote]

Yes but at a much smaller scale, you feel a little embarrased when no-one turns up. If you sell half the tickets take half the fee then you will cover cost and look like a really respectable band.

Tell you what... I'll come and see you when you play Glasgow in October. I'll be on of the 50 people there :-) Hopefully more!!

Can I make a couple of comments about your web site. Your "tour dates" drop menu is really confusing. It looks like it only has two options - reviews and something about Glastonbury 2000 (nearly a decade ago by the way!!). I didn't realise you actually had to click the "Tour dates" label. It's weird. People won't come if they can't find your gig listing. Also, sites that play music without asking you deserve a right good kicking.... it's rude I was listening to Bat for Lashes :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='548107' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:15 PM']I don't see it. You're booked to do the gig. It wasn't your idea. If only one person turns up - doesn't matter. You have to play like it was full for that one guy.

Those 50 people you piss of by cancelling will tell their friends :)[/quote]

That's what I think. You're right.

As for the website, comments appreciated. I'll forward to our webmeister.

I wish I was bringing in 50 people.... I average one person aged 50 for my audience! Do the gig! We have ALL experienced credit crunch style audiences. I've played a bunch to the other bands & bar staff this year! And Pete Academy has to be THE coolest username yet!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='548146' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:33 PM']I wish I was bringing in 50 people.... I average one person aged 50 for my audience! Do the gig! We have ALL experienced credit crunch style audiences. I've played a bunch to the other bands & bar staff this year! And Pete Academy has to be THE coolest username yet![/quote]

Ha!! Cheers!! It's strange at the moment. Gigs we think will be disastrous are great - gigs we think will be great are disastrous. We are used to it, though. As a 10-piece we've played some gigs where we've tarvelled 150 miles and outnumbered the audience. That's showbiz...

Do the gig Pete. We play in local boozers and on one sunday evening there was 4 bar staff, 4 in the band and 3 punters! It is what we call a tumbleweed gig as at the end of each song that`s what blows across in front of you. Put on a good show for the people that turn up.

By the way, were you in bass mag a few months ago?

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='548179' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:47 PM']Do the gig Pete. We play in local boozers and on one sunday evening there was 4 bar staff, 4 in the band and 3 punters! It is what we call a tumbleweed gig as at the end of each song that`s what blows across in front of you. Put on a good show for the people that turn up.

By the way, were you in bass mag a few months ago?

Jez[/quote]

Yes, mate, that was me.

I'm working in Eindhoven this week, if I'm home next week (not sure yet!) I'll try to make it to the gig. The answer to this question is ALWAYS play the gig, and play it well, you never know who might be in the audience. I've travelled 120 miles to play to the soundman, wish we had 50 people at that gig!

The Academy needs a bit more advertisement anyway, it had a blitz in the papers when it was announced the other year, but don't really see much about it now in the local area.
It's had some decent names play there since it opened, granted I've been in Pompey so I couldn't go, but I've heard it's not a bad venue.

No question, in my mind. Do the gig for the people who are there, do NOT pull it for the people who aren't there.

Transglobal Underground who employ me with a couple of their satellite bands, were booked to do their latest album launch at Dingwalls in Camden a few months ago. They were a bit worried a few days before the show because they'd only sold about 15 tickets. On the night there must have been around 150 people there.

It's hard to anticipate a potential audience's behaviour.