Why become a member? ×

Are us Brits a 'fickle' bunch?

GreeneKing

[quote name='silddx' post='546771' date='Jul 21 2009, 05:41 PM']Have to admit, I didn't like it either. It's a bit ugly and pedestrian looking. But I don't like any of his shapes TBH.[/quote]

Neither do I, but they might look more to my liking with a solid colour rather than a blingy wood top, or maybe a pickguard or something. :)

They do at least look quite original, and they all look like his designs rather than someone else's, so that's commendable but they're not for me, I don't think. I'm sure they're great basses though.

Edited by thisnameistaken

As a fellow bass builder I will try to explain the problems with the "Affiliates" section.

When we build basses, cabs, electronics etc and offer them for sale we must do so in our own forums. We are not allowed as commercial builders to advertise new basses etc or indeed secondhand items that we may have in the normal "Basses for Sale" or other suitable forums.

This means that unless a potential customer already knows of us they are unlikely to look in the affiliates forum and will just browse the "for sale" forums.

I can totally understand the problem that the moderators would have if they opened the "for sale" forums up to all commercial sellers / builders. The forums would be inundated with shops, ebay sellers etc etc and the "for sale" forums would become a farce.

Basschat is good enough to give us the "Affiliates" forums so we can showcase our wares and raise our profiles but I don't think any of us regard our forums as a main marketplace for selling.

Most of my sales are direct through commissions and Ebay and hopefully my website when I finally decide which basses to offer and concentrate on.

Whether a commercial "For Sale" forum would be a good idea I do not know, and if it was it would have to be paid for and moderated and who would that suit ? the bigger players who could afford the advertising as with other bass forums.

All we can ask is that members occasionally look at the Affiliates Forum , there is a lot of top quality UK made gear there catering for all sectors of the market.

Paul

[quote name='Prosebass' post='546904' date='Jul 21 2009, 07:24 PM']All we can ask is that members occasionally look at the Affiliates Forum , there is a lot of top quality UK made gear there catering for all sectors of the market.

Paul[/quote]

I certainly do. I would also recommend others to. There's some top gear in there.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='546703' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:47 PM']I didn't.

Just looked at that black bass he's built. I think the chrome hardware puts me off a bit, but I see black hardware is available. It also looks a bit [i]too[/i] basic but that might just be the black finish, I've never bought a black bass and maybe that's why.

I'll be interested to see how his other body shapes look with the pared-down features.[/quote]
The whole point of the Graft basses is that they focus more on the playability than the aesthetics and this saves cost. I know I'd rather have a well made playable bass than a bass that just looks pretty.

On the affiliate subject.

If you type in Bass Chat on google the first thing that comes up is Alex's forum , how does he do that, I don't know. You need to ask him.

And it's down to marketing, as some of you are aware Alex has published adds on Bass Player, Bass Guitar Magazine, and he's giving away a cab in a competition and sending one other for people to try out. It really depends on how you market it and how much you want to be heard.

As for ACG I became aware shortly after I joined bass chat on the general section when someone mentioned their interest so I think the OP just overlooked them, easy to do when you have ten thousand brands coming out every month.

As for they basses they are not my cup of tea

[quote name='davidmpires' post='547406' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:59 AM']On the affiliate subject.

If you type in Bass Chat on google the first thing that comes up is Alex's forum , how does he do that, I don't know. You need to ask him.

And it's down to marketing, as some of you are aware Alex has published adds on Bass Player, Bass Guitar Magazine, and he's giving away a cab in a competition and sending one other for people to try out. It really depends on how you market it and how much you want to be heard.

As for ACG I became aware shortly after I joined bass chat on the general section when someone mentioned their interest so I think the OP just overlooked them, easy to do when you have ten thousand brands coming out every month.

As for they basses they are not my cup of tea[/quote]

So it does - I don't think that's down to Alex though. Basschat is only mentioned twice on the front page in text that isn't a link, and the other mention is only part of a very short sentence. I think google just quotes the blurb from Alex's forum because it's a bit longer, so google just sees that as giving more of a flavour of the site.

[quote name='silddx' post='547514' date='Jul 22 2009, 01:15 PM']Are you saying "if it's cheap it's ugly"?

Aesthetically pleasing instruments don't have to be expensive.[/quote]

Aesthetics are subjective. Let's not get bogged down in that one...

[quote name='silddx' post='547514' date='Jul 22 2009, 01:15 PM']Are you saying "if it's cheap it's ugly"?

Aesthetically pleasing instruments don't have to be expensive.[/quote]
No. What I am saying is a custom bass could play well but also be a good looking bass. If the buyer wants the bass to "look" nicer (better woods, hardware, LED's etc.), then you'll have to pay more. This is not to say cheaper custom basses are horrible to look at - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Stan_da_man

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='547653' date='Jul 22 2009, 02:59 PM']No. What I am saying is a custom bass could play well but also be a good looking bass. If the buyer wants the bass to "look" nicer (better woods, hardware, LED's etc.), then you'll have to pay more. This is not to say cheaper custom basses are horrible to look at - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.[/quote]

And this isn't a Custom bass but a hand built bass with a limited number of options, built by a luthier who's main business is building custom basses. Whether any individual likes Alan's shapes or not is irrelevant, many do and the ascetics certainly differ from the usual Jazz/Precision et. al. fare. I know from expereience that this bass will be extremely well made, comfortable, playable and balance well. It is most impressive in terms of tone (I have that from the 'Horses mouth'). The hardware is the same as you will find on many top priced custom instruments and if you happen not to like the styling then I don't suspect you'll be in the market for one but it doesn't make it ugly :)

I think as greeneking says the aesthetics are down to the person. However some of Alans shapes ARE a bit more out there than is normal. For example I really like the new gallus or whatever its called. But I know many people wont. The recurve is a bit more ... lets say conventional.

And as for the finn...

Well I for one cant wait to get my mitts on mine!

Right the problem I see is this.

Boutique hand built basses are generally only for folk more into thier playing. whether that is as the need them for their income or because they can afford to spend their income on them. A lot of bass players go to soundcontrol and buy a fender for less money.
Now ACG has come up with what I think is a brilliant looking bass (one of the coolest ive seen for a while) at a competitive price bracket. How do you make the idea of this bass cool enough to sell it to a broader audience? How do you make a legend?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='547935' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:15 PM']Right the problem I see is this.

Boutique hand built basses are generally only for folk more into thier playing. whether that is as the need them for their income or because they can afford to spend their income on them. A lot of bass players go to soundcontrol and buy a fender for less money.
Now ACG has come up with what I think is a brilliant looking bass (one of the coolest ive seen for a while) at a competitive price bracket. How do you make the idea of this bass cool enough to sell it to a broader audience? How do you make a legend?[/quote]

Same way everyone else does. You wave it under people's noses, either in the wood at shows, or on a good website.
You get one reviwed in BGM and mentioned in Bass Guitar
You gather owner's testimonials and plaster them all over you website, people on here talk about them, people post wanted ads, you do the rounds of teh bass forums talking about the and you get abig name to wear one on stage ...

Then you stockpile a few and wait for the orders to come in....

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='547933' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:12 PM']I have a 4 string Ghallus fretless headless on order :)[/quote]
I came very close to being insanely jealous there - but as it won't have a head and is missing a string I shall just be very very jealous. :rolleyes:

[quote name='bythesea' post='548153' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:35 PM']I came very close to being insanely jealous there - but as it won't have a head and is missing a string I shall just be very very jealous. :)[/quote]

Piezo bridge, single pup, ebony board, neck thru, purple heart lines.....

Haven't got around to the facing wood yet.

I love the way Alan's latest headless creation has turned out.