Why become a member? ×

Flat wounds to suit a Jazz?

NoLogic69

Hi there

I'm sure this subject will have been covered before, but here goes.

I have a 70's style custom Jazz with a pair of Wizard 64's in it. I'm looking for more of a deeper bassier sound with some thump, and thought a set of flatwounds might be the answer. But which ones do I go for? I play with a pick and fingerstyle depending on the song. Heard Labellas have QC issues and TI's are very low tension, too low for some!
What's best suited to a Jazz?

All the best,

Mario.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='541499' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:22 PM']You'll get a million different answers, but I had a LOT of joy using La Bella FLs on my J w/ Wizard 84s. Lots of bass and thump, but lots of definition too.[/quote]

Cheers,

I'm seriously considering swapping out the 64's for some 84's for that darker, bassier tone!

I just bought some Fender flatwounds for my P-bass. I'm sure everyone will tell me this is wrong but I quite like Fender strings & they are cheap so I thought it'd be a good introduction to the flatwound world. Mail order so they haven't arrived yet.

GHS 3050s are perfect for reggae on my jazz bass, very pure, smooth and deep but that might not be the sound you're after and I've never played them with a pick.
You can get them on ebay delivered from the US for under £20.00.
TIs are much richer sounding and they are lower tension, not really my thing but lots of people love them.