Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM Jazz routed hole under pick guard?

Stu-khag

sorry if this has been asked before but whats the deal with the little routed round hole on my Fender Jazz under the pick guard?
its about the size of a 10p and about a centimetre deep
I bought it in 2000.
Is it something to do with an active version of the bass? (mine is just a standard passive red wine Jazz)
I'll take a photo of it if its an anomaly but methinks its probably quite common on this model?

thanks

Stu

Most probably a locating pin hole for the routing machine which shaped the body.

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='537297' date='Jul 10 2009, 04:12 PM']sorry if this has been asked before but whats the deal with the little routed round hole on my Fender Jazz under the pick guard?
its about the size of a 10p and about a centimetre deep
I bought it in 2000.
Is it something to do with an active version of the bass? (mine is just a standard passive red wine Jazz)
I'll take a photo of it if its an anomaly but methinks its probably quite common on this model?

thanks

Stu[/quote]

Hmmmm.

I have a MIA Jazz (passive), which I seem to recall being a 2000 vintage, and I too have said hole. I think it's in line with the neck pickup?

A routing hole may be the answer - others know far more about it than I would ever hope to - but I'd be surprised that this would be both for US and Mexico construction. Is this where I discover I've actually got a MIM Jazz? :)

My 2004 MIA S1 has one, too. Ash Bodied, and with an original, but less-than-popular Trans Sunset Orange Finish.
I guessed it was some sort of jig-related hole. I'm sorely tempted to get a plug cut for it and glue it in. Something Exotic, like Ebony or Mpingo!
It'd still be hidden under the scratchplate, though!

i thought it was for hanging the basses on when being lacquered, but for the router sounds about right, too. its for the purpose of making it anyway, it doesn't do anything.

as for the emergency rolo, you could buy a pack in the time it takes to get the pickguard off, especially if you have a really low action and have to loosen the strings a bit, too. and they make a mess if they melt.

[quote name='Spartacus' post='537486' date='Jul 10 2009, 08:50 PM']its a really small acoustic chamber that resonates at exactly 866hz and adds a bit of midrange bite just like vintage preCBS Fenders. If it wasnt there your bass would sound like a Squier.[/quote]

:)