Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the Markbass wedge stand for amps?

Clarky

[quote name='OldGit' post='537591' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:51 PM']Wow Really? Crate amps missed a trick there then ....[/quote]

Yeh but they didnt add features like Virtual Italian Air (VIA [size=1]TM[/size]) or Virtual Brick Emulation (VBE [size=1]TM[/size]) so they lost the market.

Edited by Spartacus

[quote name='Clarky' post='537588' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:48 PM']Think I am going to investigate whether the Triad 'warning triangle' device can be shipped to the UK.[/quote]

Get Mark at Bass Direct to be the sole UK dealer ....
That's his kind of gadget

Spartacus, you're missing the point.

1. If Clarky is as DIY inept as he claims then in real terms trying to make a stand will cost him far more in time and effort and therefore money, than spending £24 on something that already does the job.

2. It's a much better idea when tilting a speaker/combo back to support it from behind then to lift it at the front. Simply physics really.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='537797' date='Jul 11 2009, 11:39 AM']Spartacus, you're missing the point.

1. If Clarky is as DIY inept as he claims then in real terms trying to make a stand will cost him far more in time and effort and therefore money, than spending £24 on something that already does the job.[/quote]

Dont think im missing a point, but IMO the MArkbass wedge is a waste of money and doesnt do the job well. I didnt find mine well made, it broke quickly, and it wouldnt be too good at supporting larger combos either. Cant see the point of overcomplicating things when a simple bit of 4x2 wood would work just as well. Hardly DIY is it? :)

[quote]2. It's a much better idea when tilting a speaker/combo back to support it from behind then to lift it at the front. Simply physics really.[/quote]

Thats stating the obvious really. But The markbass wedge doesnt provide any support at the rear. Using a single combo is always going to be a compromise if you want to hear it AND maintain floor coupling and boundary effects to give beter low end. Thats one thing that i weighed up with the CMD102P.

At the end of the day, it gets dark. All im saying is that i personally and having owned one of these before, wouldnt bother again. Its an opinion and isnt that what Clarky was asking for?

Would this be a viable alternative?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Folding-Guitar-Amplifier-Combo-Stand-Lifts-your-Amp_W0QQitemZ260444696576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConsumerElectronics_EquipmentStands_SM?hash=item3ca3b6b000&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|293%3A1|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Folding-Guitar-Ampli...93%3A1|294%3A50[/url]

Or this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stand-Stagg-GAS-3-2-Monitor-Amplifier-Amp-Floor-Stand_W0QQitemZ370226517618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL?hash=item5633385672&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|293%3A1|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stand-Stagg-GAS-3-2-...93%3A1|294%3A50[/url]

Or this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stand-Stagg-Monitor-Amplifier-Amp-Floor-Stand_W0QQitemZ370227873176QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL?hash=item56334d0598&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|293%3A1|294%3A50#ebayphotohosting"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stand-Stagg-Monitor-...bayphotohosting[/url]

Thanks, I had seen the tubular metal stands but I was interested in a completely foldable device I could stuff in a gig bag. I sometimes have to travel on London Underground to get to gigs and there is a limit to how much I can carry so I do like the idea of something that folds completely flat. The Triad thing looks good as it maintains floor coupling as well as folding flat.

Edit: in response to points raised in earlier posts, I am seriously rubbish at DIY (eg, last time I changed a pickup I managed to burn myself with the soldering iron). So much so that Mrs Clarky is now officially in charge of DIY chez Clarky :)

Edited by Clarky

Sparatcus - sorry I was sure that when I'd seen it earlier the Markbass wedge went behind the cab. For me that would be the logical place to put it. Most of the stages I play on where I would be using a rig that small I'd need it tilted back at least 45° for the speaker to pointing anywhere near my ears.

Don't know if I'd fancy using a guitar combo tilt-back stand with something putting out bass frequencies. Their designed to be used with little 25W guitar amps and the fizzy sounds they produce.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='537948' date='Jul 11 2009, 04:05 PM']Don't know if I'd fancy using a guitar combo tilt-back stand with something putting out bass frequencies. Their designed to be used with little 25W guitar amps and the fizzy sounds they produce.[/quote]

Me neither. Even forgetting the weight you lose the floor coupling and boundry reinforcement which you need for smaller combos.

Don't know if I'm adding anthing useful to this but I have an overdrive pedal that I alway keep in it's box wrapped in a platic bag in my gig-bag. Whether or not I use the pedal, I stick the box under the front of my cab. I seem to always get a consistent sound. Mind you, my cab and amp are ridiculously light, so even a empty box can do the trick.

[quote name='Spartacus' post='538070' date='Jul 11 2009, 06:39 PM']Me neither. Even forgetting the weight you lose the floor coupling and boundry reinforcement which you need for smaller combos.[/quote]

It's a compromise between the better sound that comes from those aspects and being able to hear yourself on stage.

I like the PJB idea of upward firing speakers (as well as forward) in some of their combos.

Edited by OldGit

Is floor coupling / boundary reinforcement really effected that much? I remember reading a post somewhere by Bill Fitzmaurice (who should know what he's talking about) stating that you'd need to lift the cab at least a couple of feet off the floor before you had to worry, due to the larger wavelengths of bass frequencies. I don't know for sure though, it's beyond me!

Also the Markbass stand sticks to the cab with Velcro and raises less than 45 degrees so support from the back shouldn't be necessary. Be careful if using it with a non-furry cab though. If the cab is being used just as a monitor you can get away with more tilt, but if it's being used for the audience to hear also then the Markbass angle looks about right to me. I say get one, it shouldn't break if you look after it well, and it's a lot better than putting beer crates and bricks in your gig bag!

[quote name='Spartacus' post='538070' date='Jul 11 2009, 06:39 PM']....you lose the floor coupling and boundry reinforcement which you need for smaller combos....[/quote]
This might be true, but surely it's a bit of a lottery if you are relying on the floor for your tone or volume! You really should be looking for a bigger rig!

Mesa Walkabout Combo? Am I right; is this the one with the passive radiator speaker underneath? How's that going to cope with a wedge right across the speaker?

[quote name='chris_b' post='541996' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:11 AM']This might be true, but surely it's a bit of a lottery if you are relying on the floor for your tone or volume! You really should be looking for a bigger rig![/quote]

Not purely relying on it but it helps with small combos which might not have deep lows. You basicaly get a free 6dB low end boost from the floor. Its hit and miss but it helps. Pointless suggesting a bigger rig because if the OP is using a small combo then im assuming theres a reson for that.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='537797' date='Jul 11 2009, 11:39 AM']2. It's a much better idea when tilting a speaker/combo back to support it from behind then to lift it at the front. Simply physics really.[/quote]

No it isn't - two reasons why: Firstly cabs are front heavy because that's where the speakers are. Secondly if you support the cab at the back you have to tilt it a lot further and that degree of tilt means you're going to end up with tons of ceiling reflections and hardly any upper mids or treble taking a direct line to your bandmates or audience members.

[quote name='chris_b' post='541996' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:11 AM']This might be true, but surely it's a bit of a lottery if you are relying on the floor for your tone or volume! You really should be looking for a bigger rig![/quote]

All bass cabs expect to be getting boundary reinforcement from the floor. This doesn't mean they're relying on sound coming from the floor, like when the bass cab sets a hollow wooden stage resonating, but that the floor reflects sound rather than letting it pass through. To get this boundary reinforcement the cab needs to be within a quarter wavelength of the boundary, so the higher you lift it off the floor, the lower the frequency at which boundary reinforcement happens. For 40Hz this 1/4 wave distance is 7 feet, for 100Hz it's 2'8", and for 150-200Hz (which tends to cause nasty boom rather than good fatness) it's 1'10" to 1'5", hence the benefits of beer crates in stopping reinforcement in this region but allowing it lower down.

Alex

• Like 1

[quote]Mesa Walkabout Combo? Am I right; is this the one with the passive radiator speaker underneath? How's that going to cope with a wedge right across the speaker?[/quote]
Yep, it is the one with the passive down-firing radiator speaker underneath. Another reason why I reckon the American device [url="http://www.zzounds.com/item--TRISTANDBACK"]http://www.zzounds.com/item--TRISTANDBACK[/url] might be better