Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the Markbass wedge stand for amps?

Clarky

Just purchased a Mesa Walkabout combo and - as its quite squat - I think I will need it tilted upwards for optimum on-stage monitoring. I know there are various tubular metal amp stands around (eg by Stagg) but they are biggish and a pain to carry along with everything else.

Markbass seem to have a neat, foldable solution in the wedge stand.
[attachment=28605:untitled.jpg]

Another advantage is its fairly cheap (£24 [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=mrkbassmarkstand)"]http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_p...kbassmarkstand)[/url].

So has anyone tried it and does it work? Or is it just a rubbish gimmick? Should I get an Auralex Gramma stand instead?

All thoughts gratefully appreciated. Cheers Clarky

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='537254' date='Jul 10 2009, 03:03 PM']Just purchased a Mesa Walkabout combo and - as its quite squat - I think I will need it tilted upwards for optimum on-stage monitoring. I know there are various tubular metal amp stands around (eg by Stagg) but they are biggish and a pain to carry along with everything else.

Markbass seem to have a neat, foldable solution in the wedge stand and its fairly cheap (£24 [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=mrkbassmarkstand)"]http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_p...kbassmarkstand)[/url]. Has anyone tried it and does it work? Or is it just a rubbish gimmick? Should I get an Auralex Gramma stand instead?

All thoughts gratefully appreciated. Cheers Clarky[/quote]

Hi Clarky

The Gramma is a great piece of kit for isolating the bass sound from a boomy stage, wooden floors etc and will give you sound consistency from venue to venue. However, it will only raise your combo by a few inches and won't angle it upwards at all.

I've got a reasonably portable stand at home that you're more than welcome to try out if you want.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='537261' date='Jul 10 2009, 03:14 PM']Hi Clarky

The Gramma is a great piece of kit for isolating the bass sound from a boomy stage, wooden floors etc and will give you sound consistency from venue to venue. However, it will only raise your combo by a few inches and won't angle it upwards at all.

I've got a reasonably portable stand at home that you're more than welcome to try out if you want.[/quote]
thanks for offer Nick, what is it called so I can google it? The thing I liked conceptually about the Markbass stand was it folds flat and can easily be stowed in a gigbag

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='537254' date='Jul 10 2009, 03:03 PM']....Another advantage is its fairly cheap (£24 [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=mrkbassmarkstand)"][/quote]
£24! Surely you could make something that works for less than that? Also the Boogie combo is significantly heavier than the MB. How long would the MB widget take the strain?

[quote name='chris_b' post='537518' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:37 PM']£24! Surely you could make something that works for less than that? Also the Boogie combo is significantly heavier than the MB. How long would the MB widget take the strain?[/quote]

Its all held together with velcro. Youd be better off sticking a lump of wood under the front edge.

Thanks for your comments but the bit of the equation you are missing is that I am an imbecile at DIY. If it improves the onstage sounds of a £700 combo plus a grand-plus bass (if using my JJB) I don't think £24 is that big a price to pay!!!!!

[quote name='Clarky' post='537537' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:48 PM']Thanks for your comments but the bit of the equation you are missing is that I am an imbecile at DIY. If it improves the onstage sounds of a £700 combo plus a grand-plus bass (if using my JJB) I don't think £24 is that big a price to pay!!!!![/quote]

Its a couple of bits pf plywood wrapped in rip-proof nylon held together with velcro and with a Mark Bass badge. Its not a sonic revolution. You really would get the same effect sticking a brick or a lump of wood uner the front of the combo. Got one for my old MB combo and it broke after abouyt a week. Yeh it helps you hear yourself but you also lose quite a bit of the low end because you lose the floor coupling and some of the boundary reinforcement.

YMMV.

Fair enough, although I am not sticking a brick under my lovely new (well, s/h) combo! What I think would have been better is this thing but nobody sells it outside of the States [url="http://www.ampstandback.com/"]http://www.ampstandback.com/[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' post='537553' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:01 PM']Fair enough, although I am not sticking a brick under my lovely new (well, s/h) combo! What I think would have been better is this thing but nobody sells it outside of the States [url="http://www.ampstandback.com/"]http://www.ampstandback.com/[/url][/quote]

Glad to see punks not dead then :) if it helps i used to have a 115 on the floor and teh combo tilted back as a monitor. That way you get the floor coupling and dont lose any low end and still hear youself. OK you need an extension but getting a full sound out of a small combo isnt easy and its all compromises.

[quote]And your drummer will probably wee on you.[/quote]
Good point. Maybe I will just stick my amp on a chair

Or buy the matching extension cab and build a stack, which would cost approximately 25 times more than the Markbass bit of wood and velcro :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='537566' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:21 PM']Or buy the matching extension cab and build a stack, which would cost approximately 25 times more than the Markbass bit of wood and velcro :)[/quote]

Good idea and the extension cab would give you more output power and volume and projection as well.

Or stick the brick under your combo which will cost approixmately 500 times less than an extension cab but it won't have a label on it and will leave stains on the carpet. [b]Very[/b] punk though :rolleyes:

Edited by Spartacus

[quote name='Spartacus' post='537568' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:27 PM']Good idea and the extension cab would give you more output power and volume and projection as well.

Or stick the brick under your combo which will cost approixmately 500 times less than an extension cab but it won't have a label on it and will leave stains on the carpet. [b]Very[/b] punk though :)[/quote]
Just been on the Mesa website and they don't do branded bricks, so that option is out

[quote name='Clarky' post='537570' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:32 PM']Just been on the Mesa website and they don't do branded bricks, so that option is out[/quote]

Do a Banksy and make up a stencil? That would work on ether bricks or 12" lengths of 4x2 "acoustrically treated for optimum bass transmission". You could make a fortune with the right distribution and marketing. Ill be your agent. I know people :)

[quote name='Spartacus' post='537577' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:37 PM']Do a Banksy and make up a stencil? That would work on ether bricks or 12" lengths of 4x2 "acoustrically treated for optimum bass transmission". You could make a fortune with the right distribution and marketing. Ill be your agent. I know people :)[/quote]
Its a deal

The 'Soundbrick' TM

Dragon's Den here I come

You can have my markstand. It doesn't work for me.
To get the right angle of tilt I end up with loads of the thing sticking out of the front of the line of the cab..
That US thing looks good. Why not get one?
The EA cabs have a spring handle on the bottom that props the cab up. That's cool but needs screw holes in your cab..

Stick a couple of unused stompboxes under the front :)

The GRAMMA is good for taking out the boom and adding clarity but it doesn't lift them much.

I've taken to using two cabs with the amp rack as the sandwich filler to lift the top cab up higher.

Edited by OldGit

OK, among those who have tried it so far, its 2:1 against the Markbass stand. That carefully-structured, highly-powered clinical trial is enough for me to pass on this device.

Think I am going to investigate whether the Triad 'warning triangle' device can be shipped to the UK. At least this seems to get good reviews (eg Guitarist magazine) and it can carry weights well above my Mesa combo (up to 95lb). If I manage to track one down I will report back

(Of course I would love a full Mesa stack but ~£600 for a 1x12 extension is going it some IMHO)

[quote name='OldGit' post='537585' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:47 PM']What ever happened to stacks of beer crates anyway?[/quote]

Mark BAss bought them all and next month sees the release of the MarkCrate [size=1](tm)[/size]

[quote name='Clarky' post='537588' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:48 PM']Think I am going to investigate whether the Triad 'warning triangle' device can be shipped to the UK. At least this seems to get good reviews (eg Guitarist magazine) and it can carry weights well above my Mesa combo (up to 95lb). If I manage to track one down I will report back[/quote]

Try a bit of B&Q special planed wood and save a lot of money. If it sounds worse then do a full review of the pros n cons here and Ill refund the difference. :)

Edited by Spartacus