Why become a member? ×

SOLD

Gwilym

[quote name='walbassist' post='535357' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:27 AM']Gwil, what on earth are you thinking!? I hope the GAS is truly serious enough to warrant letting those three beauties go?[/quote]
hey Gareth,
partly the realisation that I've only got two hands and don't want to be a "collector", and I guess a clearout of sorts pending a potential change in circumstances.
GAS was also a driving factor, but it turns out I've been too slow in that department - I found out this morning and evening that the 2 basses I was GASsing for are either sold or on hold. Not a surprise, one was a spanking new NYC Sadowsky, and the nicest Sadowsky I've had the pleasure of playing. Should have been quicker off the mark and I'm surporised it lasted as long as it did.
Any interest in the Smith? I know you like 'em :rolleyes:

[quote name='bubinga5' post='535551' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:42 AM']ARRGH..I want that Ken Smith!!!!![/quote]

Do it :lol: Cheltenham would be a easy spot for personal delivery :)

[quote name='leloupa' post='535664' date='Jul 8 2009, 12:30 PM']Hmmm... can i see some more pictures from the MTD ? Which serial number please ?
Guess you'll like the sound of the maple / rosewood neck combination more ?
Looking forward to your answer,
greetings,
Dave[/quote]

Dave, I am about to PM you...

I dunno Gwil you've only been home half an hour and already you're stirring things up :rolleyes:

For anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of meeting Gwil I'd like to say that he's a really nice guy & definitely someone you can deal with in total confidence :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='536186' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:34 AM']+1 and that Ken Smith is an absolute beauty.[/quote]
+2 on that.. Bought my Wal off Gwil some time back and he is a great bloke who really knows his stuff when it comes to high quality basses!

Yes - that Ken Smith is fabulous...

Barrie, Jack, Nik - thanks for the kind words!

The KS is indeed a belter. I knew within a minute of playing it that it would be mine :) It has the Smith tone, but is much warmer sounding than other Smiths I've played. That said - it tonally doesn't quite fit with the band I've been playing with, and consequently I've only played it at home occasionally in the past 3 years. It needs servicing on a more regular basis than that! I guarantee if someone picks this one up, they won't be disappointed :rolleyes:

Right, I'm pretty certain I've replied to all the PM's that I've received - if you're still waiting for a reply from me, I guess something got lost in the ether, so please let me know.

Update on trades: just to say that the only trades I will consider are a F bass lined fretless 5 or 6 string. Or a 535 mtd without a wenge neck. (bonus points for a 24 fret neck, matching truss rod cover, rosewood finger board, or alder body or maybe a fretless?).

By the way, I will record and post sound clips of all these once I've had the chance - in around a week or so I guess.

cheers
G

Im very eagerly awaiting sound clips of that ken smith!!! simply gorgeous,is that a bit of quilt maple in the middle with maple wings? you got me GASSING!!! again- all the best - lee

[quote name='lee650' post='538754' date='Jul 12 2009, 06:56 PM']Im very eagerly awaiting sound clips of that ken smith!!! simply gorgeous,is that a bit of quilt maple in the middle with maple wings? you got me GASSING!!! again- all the best - lee[/quote]

hi Lee,
yeah, the whole body is maple - not sure if it's what you would call quilted though. at least it's quite different to what I would visualise when talking about a quilted top. I thought I had some more pictures at hand that I could link in showing more detail, but I'll have to get that done next weekend too.

cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='538786' date='Jul 12 2009, 08:50 PM']hi Lee,
yeah, the whole body is maple - not sure if it's what you would call quilted though. at least it's quite different to what I would visualise when talking about a quilted top. I thought I had some more pictures at hand that I could link in showing more detail, but I'll have to get that done next weekend too.

cheers
G[/quote]

Hi G
i had a look at the smith website, and it looks like a wood he,s using called western quilted maple, which does look quite diffrent, man its gorgeous!!!, im sure i could give it a good home, but id probably lose the wife a daughter :) been officially banned from buying anymore basses. id say good luck with the sale, but i know you dont need it mate :rolleyes: , whoever gets this will be a happy bunny indeed!! - cheers G - lee

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='555867' date='Jul 30 2009, 08:55 AM']The Sandberg is amazing...I think I'm in love...! desperately trying to find the money right now!!! Don't fancy nocking £300 off for a quick sale do ya ;-)... thought not![/quote]

:) :rolleyes:

PMs answered...

for the record, the weight of the Smith is 8 lbs 12.25 oz or 3.795kg and the weight of the Sandberg is 10 lbs 4oz or 4.65kg

One thing to add - I'm going to be leaving the country in early September, so i can only sell these up to that time. Thereafter they will still be on the block, but I won't be able to physically sell them (probably) until December time.

So, start saving now if you want to treat yourself at Christmas :)

thanks for all the interest and various trade offers so far... but just to confirm that I'm only after a cash sale now on both these basses.

G

• 1 month later...

[quote name='comno' post='613298' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:26 PM']Hi,

Is the KS traded ol sold ?
I trade a beautiful PENTABUZZ Pedulla for a BSR
Regards[/quote]

both basses still available, but I'm not. What I mean is that I'm not in the UK/London, where the basses are, until early December, so I can't do much about a sale until the end of the year.

Thanks for the trade offe - a Pentabuzz is very tempting. Primarily looking for a cash sale, though I will have a think about it. If you're still in the market in December, maybe we can work something out.

thanks!
G

• 1 month later...

just had a look on the Ken Smith web site. The BSR5J [url="http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrj/bsrj.html"]http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrj/bsrj.html[/url] which is a special order bass would cost $3850 base price.

By my reckoning that, once you've paid shipping and import duty would cost you over GBP2900 - so this is less than half the price of a new one... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='759354' date='Feb 27 2010, 07:19 PM']How is this still here!!?[/quote]

thanks for the sentiments! :rolleyes:
personally, i think it's a tough time to sell, unless you are selling stuff at rock bottom prices. Also I think things typically sell on BC for less than market value, because sellers don't explore other avenues, and trust this marketplace and therefore are willing to take the hit to keep things in the family, as it were. Admittely I'm not. I've priced it at what I think is fair given what it is - a pretty unique instrument in near mint condition, and sounds fantastic too.
My motivation for selling is/was out of guilt of owning more basses that I can really justify, although I'm starting to think I could justify keeping it now, we'll see in a week or so when I get back from the alps :)

[quote name='Gwilym' post='759365' date='Feb 27 2010, 07:33 PM']thanks for the sentiments! :lol:
personally, i think it's a tough time to sell, unless you are selling stuff at rock bottom prices. Also I think things typically sell on BC for less than market value, because sellers don't explore other avenues, and trust this marketplace and therefore are willing to take the hit to keep things in the family, as it were. Admittely I'm not. I've priced it at what I think is fair given what it is - a pretty unique instrument in near mint condition, and sounds fantastic too.
My motivation for selling is/was out of guilt of owning more basses that I can really justify, although I'm starting to think I could justify keeping it now, we'll see in a week or so when I get back from the alps :)[/quote]

I agree. Not the best time to sell. Bit holding out and not selling rock bott
for the sale of selling is the right way to go!

I love the instrument. We spoke about it before, then when you were in the position to sell I could t muster the funds. I see lots of basses that crop up on here, but this prob my all time fav, I loved it when you first popped it up and still peek at the thread all the time.

If it was a couple of hundred quid cheaper I'd have access to the funds, but it would also be an uber bargain and of sold long ago... I will find a way to own this :rolleyes:

Shep