Why become a member? ×

How many of you run/lead your own band?

The Funk

I've been thinking about bassist-bandleaders and wondered how many others there were out there. I know a fair few of you lead your own bands and some of you MD as well.

I'd love to get an idea of what kind of proportion of us do. Do you find it goes against the bass-player stereotype a bit? Or does it make perfect sense as we're the rhythmic-harmonic link?

Share your thoughts!

Sort of a weird one. We have a manager that sorts all the gigs and that but i find myself naturally running the band on a more day to day basis, making sure everyone knows where and when theyve gotta be places, If they're claiming for any gear etc. Ive only been with these guys about 2 months, maybe a should stop :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='531753' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:03 PM']what does MD stand for ?[/quote]

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='531754' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:04 PM']Musical Director, I assume.[/quote]

That's the one. I didn't mean Doogie Howser. :)

I tend to run rehearsals, and organise them, but the band "belongs" to the guitarist and drummer really. I have a broader understanding of how bands (and music) work though, and I'm picky, so it makes sense for me to do that stuff rather than them.

It was awkward at first though, given that they approached me about joining their band, to start telling them what to do.

[quote name='MythSte' post='531756' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:06 PM']Sort of a weird one. We have a manager that sorts all the gigs and that but i find myself naturally running the band on a more day to day basis, making sure everyone knows where and when theyve gotta be places, If they're claiming for any gear etc. Ive only been with these guys about 2 months, maybe a should stop :)[/quote]

Wah! Stop now whilst you still have your hair/sanity

I do the marketing all the gig sorting and co-ordination and all contact with the punters/bookers before we hit the stage. We usea Yahoo group diary for info re gigs. Then once we kick off on stage I share the front man job with the Melodeon player/caller/lead vox.
After we come off stage I get to go and schmooze the punters/bookers/mothers of the bride and groom etc etc.

I would say I share leadership of the band with the Melodeon player but we make all big decisions as a band. Works fine and has done for 16 years now.

Edited by OldGit

Never have in 50 years so had quite an easy ride. However, I always pull my weight in setups, some gig-getting and as much as without treading on the boss's toes. In acknowledgement to Courtney Pine I'm known as the Jazz Worryer. Bit difficult to lead from the double bass but I'd like to get a band round me sometime for a few festival gigs.