Why become a member? ×

Jacko's band

Pete Academy

Can you imagine getting a call for that gig?

' Hi Ready Freddy, do you fancy doing a residency playing the same stuff
every night for a few months in a big tent in South East London, it will be a cheque' :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='526942' date='Jun 28 2009, 07:24 PM']Don't know, but someone in the business has told me they had a body/voice double lined up to do the lion's share of the work during the now cancelled concerts.
Fanciful? Maybe....[/quote]

Interesting that. Cause I always thought that the guy they paraded at the O2 to announce the gig wasn't Jacko. He looked too big, solid, vital, energetic and most of all had too deep a voice. (and his hands were too builder like too!)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='526942' date='Jun 28 2009, 07:24 PM']Don't know, but someone in the business has told me they had a body/voice double lined up to do the lion's share of the work during the now cancelled concerts.
Fanciful? Maybe....[/quote]
Rumour in the industry that Jacko was only contracted to appear onstage for 13 mins at each gig.

News Of World also claiming that he was so out of it on painkillers and prescription pills, he didn't realise he'd signed for 50 shows.

Edit: typo

Edited by stingrayfan

Freddie Washington wasn't in the '92 band, was he? Dangerous tour was Don Boyette. Greg Phillinganes was on keys, David Williams (who played on most of Off The Wall/Thriller) and Jennifer Batten on guitar, and Ricky Lawson on drums. Oh, and another keyboard player, can't remember who though. Absolutely awesome sounding band though, couldn't have gone wrong bringing them back.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='527416' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:12 AM']Rumour in the industry that Jacko was only contracted to appear onstage for 13 mins at each gig.

News Of World also claiming that he was so out of it on painkillers and prescription pills, he didn't realise he'd signed for 50 shows.

Edit: typo[/quote]

Do we get the feeling there will be a series of 50 dates at the O2 starting shortly in celebration of the life and career of MJ?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='527427' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:41 AM']David Williams died recently. Apparently he was so poor he couldn't afford to pay for treatment. How sad is that?[/quote]

Yes, I heard this - utterly shameful. Makes me all the more grateful for the NHS.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='527355' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:18 AM']....Apparently from what I've now heard, the original band back from '92 (including Ricky Lawson, Jennifer Batten and Freddie Washington) said they never got the callback. I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky Minor's American Idol band got the gig....[/quote]
I heard that Elvis was going to be the tour manager.

[quote name='rjb' post='527428' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:47 AM']Yes, I heard this - utterly shameful. Makes me all the more grateful for the NHS.[/quote]

How can a major talent who played on some of the most famous albums of all time die penniless, yet some sh*t-for-brains talentless idiot can earn millions?

Sums up our culture, doesn't it?

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='527421' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:18 AM']I've seen a load of live footage from Bucharest and I did definitely see Freddie tearing things up with his Smith. Or maybe not... you've got me thinking otherwise now![/quote]

I've got the Bucharest DVD, it's definitely not Freddie Washington on that!

Didn't know about David Williams, that's awful. Real talented guitarist, the stuff on Off The Wall is pure disco magic.

Edited by mike257

Hi
Went to see Steely Dan in Edinburgh last night with Freddie Washington on bass, from where I was sitting the sound overall was ok except for the lower bass area which was very muddy, could hardly hear the bass drum or what Freddie was playing in the lower registers.
I did enjoy the concert however.
Regards
Jim

A couple of years ago there was a concert planned in Oostende-Belgium with Michael Jackson. It believe it was cancelled at the last moment because of the death of Lady Di.
At that time it was with Freddie Washington because a bass-shop over here in Belgium payed him 1250 euros for a bass-clinic which I visited (in fact it was a bit boring since we had to go through a nearly ten minute version of "Forget me nots" with the same lick over and over again and a bass blues shuffle). He could combine it between tourdates with Michael and made an extra buck.
When the clinic finished I went to say hello to Freddie and with a straight face I told him "Listen, I play bass too, if ever you can't make it to the Jackson gig and you need someone to replace you, call me !" (and I told him my name and address). He couldn't tell if I was joking or not (he has probably met a lot of freaks in his life) so he answered with a vague smile after which I repeated my name and address and insisted that he would call me. "Yeah, sure, I will" after which he quickly disappeared.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='527752' date='Jun 29 2009, 02:23 PM']When the clinic finished I went to say hello to Freddie and with a straight face I told him "Listen, I play bass too, if ever you can't make it to the Jackson gig and you need someone to replace you, call me !" (and I told him my name and address). He couldn't tell if I was joking or not (he has probably met a lot of freaks in his life) so he answered with a vague smile after which I repeated my name and address and insisted that he would call me. "Yeah, sure, I will" after which he quickly disappeared.[/quote]
I don't quite get your point here, were you amused because you confused a great bass player or did you seriously think you could hold down that gig?

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='527406' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:45 AM']Interesting that. Cause I always thought that the guy they paraded at the O2 to announce the gig wasn't Jacko. He looked too big, solid, vital, energetic and most of all had too deep a voice. (and his hands were too builder like too!)[/quote]

i'd agree that sometimes a stand in jacko was used. I noticed this ages ago before he died - when you see some footage/pictures of him he [i]does[/i] have big hands like bunches of bananas and other times he has much more slender hands as you would expect given his general stature. although some of the drugs etc could cause bloating maybe? who knows!!?

peace

c

[quote name='jakesbass' post='528216' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:34 PM']I don't quite get your point here, were you amused because you confused a great bass player or did you seriously think you could hold down that gig?[/quote]
:rolleyes:

I see you still have the German beer hangover.. :)
Sorry that did make me snigger a bit. :lol:

Garry

Edited by lowdown