Why become a member? ×

You Know You're A Bassist When

JBassist

[quote name='Jase' post='528487' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:41 AM']When....Nobody leaves you any room to set your gear up at a gig.[/quote]

Know the feeling. I now have to set up my cabs under the two guitarist's cabs.

Also, when you understand both the drummer and the guitarists, but they do not understand each other!

And finding out the guitarist thinks the band has improved since you joined, but has absolutely no idea why.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='526133' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:04 PM']When you play something that isn't a minor pentatonic, then get accused of being a jazzer. :rolleyes:

When punters tell you it must be easier to play bass than guitar because it has less strings. :)[/quote]
know exactly what you mean dude

[quote name='RhysP' post='526078' date='Jun 27 2009, 05:03 PM']Other bassists tell you how much better they would have played that song.......
:rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh my days been there -

Had a gig last Friday, and despite bringing my own stuff we opted to all use the same bass rig as it would be easier for everyone involved.

We had a great set, the crowd was big and everyone was into it for the short 35 minutes we got on stage. I was cutting through the mix well and people were digging it. It was great fun to play and the crowd really got behind us and were singing along and everything. Even got a couple of compliments about my tone as well :lol:

10 minutes after we finish I'm standing at the smoking area (friends are smokers) with a drink and some guy overhears a convo we're having re: Jason Newstead's bass tone and he comes into the middle of our convo and goes "...yeah...you sounded like sh*t, turn up the bass, it was too trebley" , and continues on a 10 minute rant about everything that was wrong with the bass tone that evening.

I was using a £3.5K bass through a reasonably good Peavey rig :) like he could do any better. Tw*t.

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='Machines' post='526503' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:27 AM']You walk into a music shop and pretty much straight back out again because they only had 1 bass, and you were still lucky to see that.[/quote]

Now that is far far too true lol.

When your twiddling about with your eq to get the best possible sound to suit the acoustic environment of the room your playing in and the guitarists are only interested in 1 control on their amps and thats the volume.

[quote name='ape' post='535786' date='Jul 8 2009, 03:53 PM']When your twiddling about with your eq to get the best possible sound to suit the acoustic environment of the room your playing in and the guitarists are only interested in 1 control on their amps and thats the volume.[/quote]

and the gain.

In most cases yeah, volume and gain. But the problem is that g-tards get their tone at home (with enough bass for them), and then presume that it will be the same at a rehersal, and they dont realise: [b]There is a bass guitar for a reason![/b]

To finish the sentence - you know you're a bassist when you have a 300w ashdown with 2x15" speakers pressed against your ear on full blast with the bass knob up full AND YOU STILL CANT HEAR YOURSELF OVER THE GUITARIST!! :)

Edited by iamapirate