Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

A777E2EC-75B9-4EF2-B922-D8DF9536652C.thumb.jpeg.592cf2b459811a83b8430f1125caa651.jpeg

The battery is connected to a board and I don’t have the schematic for it so I ain’t got a clue. 

Red lead is positive from the battery - it splits into 3 and one goes to preamp and one each to each pickup. so active.

the other way to tell is if the blend pot is 250k passive 25k active 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 18:20, LukeFRC said:

Is there a power cable going from the battery to the pickup cavity….

You can have an active preamp with passive pickups, so this comment holds no ground.

Ontopic:

Gold logo MEC pickups = Active.
Silver logo MEC Pickups = Passive
MEC Dynamic Correction = Passive

The MEC Single coils in the starbass and such are an exception to the rule, but those are passive aswell.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gnermo said:

You can have an active preamp with passive pickups, so this comment holds no ground.

Well done on realising that, I’ll make this obvious-

one big difference is that active pickups are active, so need power.
so you run a power cable into the pickup cavity.

if the pickups are passive they don’t need power… so don’t need a power cable.

see the difference? 

Next question- see the red power cables in the picture? Coming out the battery, split three ways, one to the preamp and two to the pickup cavities… now can you think of any logical deduction we could make about power cables going into a pickup cavity when we are asking the question “are these active or passive”? 

• Haha 1

Just got the bass seat in an originals prog rock band  (steep learning curve).  The Corvette fretless with Roto Tru Bass strings (no effects) just does the business and has impressed the rest of the band.   

Edited by 3below
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

see the difference? 

Next question- see the red power cables in the picture? Coming out the battery, split three ways, one to the preamp and two to the pickup cavities… now can you think of any logical deduction we could make about power cables going into a pickup cavity when we are asking the question “are these active or passive”? 

Those aren't coming from the battery, but from the output jack.
Here's a picture of a MEC 3 band preamp like in the Corvette above:

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg-e1565814
Colors are different, but thats a moot point. MEC active pickups only have two cables, a + and a - .

Edited by Gnermo

Looks like there's a lot of reference pictures of fake pickups floating around then, with wires like this.

Thanks for your passive agressive snarky comments, really lightening up the mood here.
(atleast i'm not the one suggesting there's more then a positive and a ground coming off the battery)

afbeelding.png

Edited by Gnermo

12 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

see the difference? 

F557BAD7-4BD0-420F-8727-752A3605F34F.thumb.jpeg.5c75602b4960127b0b97e2f9ce1df4e3.jpeg

Just to reiterate the battery goes directly to the preamp, it doesn’t split to three etc.

Thanks for the help, always appreciate when people take time to answer a question. That being said if you’re going to be rude and snappy maybe it’s better if you don’t bother responding next time?

9 minutes ago, Gnermo said:

afbeelding.png

@MrDinsdale - Sorry the sarcasm wasn't directed towards you...  I was reacting to being told my off topic comments were moot points that held no ground

Less sarcastically - Gnermo is completely wrong in how they are trying to explain how pickups work. 

All passive pickups need two connections going to them to make a circuit. A live and a ground. On the picture quoted the live is the tip of the white cable, and the shield on the white cable is the ground. Just like when you wire up a jack cable the shield is a connection too...

For active pickups you need to power for the electronics built in. That is the red cable. (The ground for the electronics circuit is also the shield of the white cable.)

Warwick use red for live positive power
On the first picture of the control cavity you posted @MrDinsdale you can clearly see there are two red cables going into where the wires exit to go to the pickup cavities - and I think the bit at the bottom of that picture where there is three wires and some black heat shrink is where the the power cables have been joined.
So they should be active pickups.
The other way you can tell is that the blend on Warwicks will probably be 25k not 250k. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

@MrDinsdale - Sorry the sarcasm wasn't directed towards you...  I was reacting to being told my off topic comments were moot points that held no ground

Less sarcastically - Gnermo is completely wrong in how they are trying to explain how pickups work. 

All passive pickups need two connections going to them to make a circuit. A live and a ground. On the picture quoted the live is the tip of the white cable, and the shield on the white cable is the ground. Just like when you wire up a jack cable the shield is a connection too...

For active pickups you need to power for the electronics built in. That is the red cable. (The ground for the electronics circuit is also the shield of the white cable.)

Warwick use red for live positive power
On the first picture of the control cavity you posted @MrDinsdale you can clearly see there are two red cables going into where the wires exit to go to the pickup cavities - and I think the bit at the bottom of that picture where there is three wires and some black heat shrink is where the the power cables have been joined.
So they should be active pickups.
The other way you can tell is that the blend on Warwicks will probably be 25k not 250k. 

Yeah I can see the red cables going to the pickup cavity so good to know for sure! Sometimes when cavities get this busy it can be pretty hard to follow, especially when there are inconsistent approaches to colour use etc. 

• 2 weeks later...