Why become a member? ×

alternatives to the ampeg 8x10????

riff raff

[quote name='riff raff' post='517759' date='Jun 18 2009, 07:54 PM']is the ashdown any good?[/quote]

yes. although, probably not as good as the bergantino or the matamp -- however significantly cheaper, very available, and still very good. IMO, YMMV, etc...

The Aguilar DB810 is 148lbs or something ridiculous. I much prefer the GS412 over the DB810, SVT810E and ABM810. More balls and low end. Much more natural and rounder to my ears too. Killer cabs. Got both of mine for between £500-£600 used each but you can get them new for less than a new SVT810E. Slightly smaller and lighter too and much easier to move around. I really, really can't recommend them enough, I'm always banging on about them on here. They just handle anything and do whatever you want, they're the only cab I haven't managed to make fart out with my Sunn 1200s.

Admittedly I haven't tried the DB810 myself but have heard it in action up close (and mic'ed up, I was doing the sound) and was not overly impressed. The last time I heard one it was being pushed really hard with an Orange AD200B and it was farting out, come to think of it, maybe he'd actually blown a driver. It probably is better than the Ashdown and Ampeg though which I have used, but I don't like them much either in comparison to the GS412.

Edit: I helped load the DB810 in too and it was the heaviest bass cab I'd ever moved. Felt awkward and cumbersome even tilted back on it's wheels.
Should say, they were probably the loudest band I've ever worked with. Truly ridiculous. Awesome though.

Also, just read that the DB810 is 184lbs!

Edited by joegarcia

I've got an ABM810 and man...it rocks! The GK 1001rb also helps though :brow: it's punchy, yet warm and sometimes can be a bit boomy depending on the amp settings really but overall it's a great cab, nice looks, manouverable and great price. If you go 2nd hand you can grab one pretty cheap. I was on the market for a 810 and didn't want to spend a fortune on Ampeg & Co so I went with Ashdown and I'm pretty happy :)

PS - the metal corner balls are not very strong or maybe it's just me that still belives that a bass cab must be able to handle abuse! lol

(without sarcasm)
Just about any pair of 8 ohm 4x10s stacked atop each other might well do better!
I [i]had[/i] to play though an Ampeg 8x10, driven by a GK head of some sort once, and it was truly dreadful. I'm really not that fussy when it comes to amplification, either.
I couldn't make any sense of what was coming out of it! No definition at all. No top, no bottom, just loads of upper-mid.
It was moving air, alright. In roughly the same manner that a hairdryer does. Similar sound, too.

Am I going to be flamed for suggesting that 8x10s have had their day in the face of newer, lighter, more [i]artful[/i] designs.
I've always felt they were a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a very specific type of Hazlenut.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='518260' date='Jun 19 2009, 07:00 AM']Doom.

Always wondered what Ampegs have over all the other 8x10s. Is it just the name?[/quote]
It's the drivers, which are particularly well suited to the sealed cab. The original CTS and first generation Eminence are preferred tone-wise, as they were guitar drivers with a much better high end. A modern alternative would be a 3015LF bottom cab to provide the low end, crossed over to a vertical 3x10 cab loaded with guitar tens at 200-300 Hz to give the high end of the original.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='518386' date='Jun 19 2009, 01:49 PM']A modern alternative would be a 3015LF bottom cab to provide the low end, crossed over to a vertical 3x10 cab loaded with guitar tens at 200-300 Hz to give the high end of the original.[/quote]

...and now in English? :)

[quote name='KASH' post='518419' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:31 PM']...and now in English? :)[/quote]

a 15" cabinet for the lows below about 200 Hz.

for frequencies above that, three ten inch guitar drivers in a separate internal enclosure arranged vertically, one on top of the other -- they will handle the frequencies of 200 Hz and up.

A crossover would then be used either within the cabinet itself (or in a bi-amp setup, before the amplifier) to separate the low frequencies from the high ones and send each part of the audio spectrum to the respective drivers.

[quote name='riff raff' post='518675' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:38 PM']i,ve already got one ampeg 8x10.just want another to run them both together.[/quote]That opens a can of worms, for if you place them side by side you'll halve the lower midrange dispersion and exacerbate the upper midrange comb-filtering that already exists with one. Stacking them vertically gets around those problems, but isn't practical. Frankly I can't imagine the need for two, one is plenty to handle any stage size, and if it's not enough for the room, well, that's what PA is for.

coz it looks really cool.didn't know that it would give me a poorer sound though :)

what about if they were positioned either side of the drummer.he loves it.plus would give my rhythm guitarist a great monitor.he loves it too.in rehearsal he's always hanging around my cab.

[quote name='riff raff' post='518772' date='Jun 19 2009, 07:20 PM']what about if they were positioned either side of the drummer.he loves it.plus would give my rhythm guitarist a great monitor.he loves it too.in rehearsal he's always hanging around my cab.[/quote]

That'll cause yet more sonic problems, with big lows where they combine and no lows where they don't, so your sound will vary even more around the venue.

So unless you specifically want more sound right in front of your rig but less sound getting to your bandmates (which is why the likes of Steve Harris uses four 4x12"s) then stick with one cab. If you want the look then do what the touring bands do and use one working cab and a load of dummy cabs.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='518782' date='Jun 19 2009, 07:30 PM']That'll cause yet more sonic problems, with big lows where they combine and no lows where they don't, so your sound will vary even more around the venue.

So unless you specifically want more sound right in front of your rig but less sound getting to your bandmates (which is why the likes of Steve Harris uses four 4x12"s) then stick with one cab. If you want the look then do what the touring bands do and use one working cab and a load of dummy cabs.

Alex[/quote]

so really...having two together is a big nono?