Why become a member? ×

alternatives to the ampeg 8x10????

riff raff

[quote name='escholl' post='518817' date='Jun 19 2009, 08:11 PM']pretty much. outside of some select applications like doom metal or the original ampeg cabs, there is actually no practical need for two 8x10's.[/quote]

whats the relevance of the old ampeg cabs?? pretty sure mine is a very old one.i'll have to check.

[quote name='riff raff' post='518835' date='Jun 19 2009, 08:41 PM']whats the relevance of the old ampeg cabs?? pretty sure mine is a very old one.i'll have to check.[/quote]

iirc (and i could be way off) the originals had guitar drivers in them that had very low excursion limits, so in order to actually handle the bass frequencies put out by the 300 watt ampeg head, two cabs had to be used. these would have been the very old cabs though, even if your cab is 30 years old it's still too new for this to apply.

but like i say, i could be way wrong. i'm sure someone will correct me. the point is, really, that there's no practical application for 2 8x10's -- and it will in fact just make the radiation pattern less predictable.

[quote name='riff raff' post='518772' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:20 PM']what about if they were positioned either side of the drummer.he loves it.plus would give my rhythm guitarist a great monitor.he loves it too.in rehearsal he's always hanging around my cab.[/quote]Even worse. Read this: [url="http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_search_of_the_power_alley/"]http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_sear...he_power_alley/[/url]

[quote]whats the relevance of the old ampeg cabs?? pretty sure mine is a very old one.i'll have to check.[/quote]The original CTS were 30 watt guitar drivers, as were the first generation (early 70s) Eminence that were copies of them. The result was great highs, but limited low end capability, so a pair of cabs were necessary to handle the SVT head. Later drivers have better low end, and don't require two cabs, but they also don't have the highs of the earlier cabs.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='518952' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:09 PM']Even worse. Read this: [url="http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_search_of_the_power_alley/"]http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_sear...he_power_alley/[/url]

The original CTS were 30 watt guitar drivers, as were the first generation (early 70s) Eminence that were copies of them. The result was great highs, but limited low end capability, so a pair of cabs were necessary to handle the SVT head. Later drivers have better low end, and don't require two cabs, but they also don't have the highs of the earlier cabs.[/quote]

that article explains it very simply.

is there something similair to explain the effect of having them side by side?

[quote name='escholl' post='518876' date='Jun 19 2009, 09:42 PM']iirc (and i could be way off) the originals had guitar drivers in them that had very low excursion limits, so in order to actually handle the bass frequencies put out by the 300 watt ampeg head, two cabs had to be used. these would have been the very old cabs though, even if your cab is 30 years old it's still too new for this to apply.

but like i say, i could be way wrong. i'm sure someone will correct me. the point is, really, that there's no practical application for 2 8x10's -- and it will in fact just make the radiation pattern less predictable.[/quote]

its a vintage squareback.but i need to replace two of the speakers.anyone know where i could find some?

I used a pair of 8x10s, one eitther side of the drummer, the nulls were nuts, I could stand in a gap and hear the guitar really clearly and no bass, and step foward a foot and get mad droning feedback. It was awesome, lets you eq your ears by where you stand. Not very ideal if you had some sort of fussyness about exact sound balance.

ChiSeerkind has a very old SVT he had to replace speakers in, hassle him to see what he did. With my 8x10 I run it as two 4x10s, and tempted to but bassier drivers in bottom half, guitar drivers in the top, but will actually never get round to doing this and buy more cabs instead.

[quote name='riff raff' post='518965' date='Jun 19 2009, 06:22 PM']that article explains it very simply.

is there something similair to explain the effect of having them side by side?[/quote]
The exact same result will come from having them side by side, but in the lower midrange frequencies rather than the bass. The exact same result also comes from having drivers side by side in a single cab, but in the upper midrange frequencies.

[quote name='riff raff' post='518975' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:37 PM']its a vintage squareback.but i need to replace two of the speakers.anyone know where i could find some?[/quote]

Check out [url="http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=21"]http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=21[/url]

This is in USA anyway- dunno re UK & as I'm in AUS ...... :) But I reckon if U contact '' fliptops '' they'll steer U in right direction.

BUT I See nothing wrong with using 2 cabs if U want. Sure the comb filtering may have an effect, & it may not be IDEAL etc...but how have 1000's of bassists in the past gotten on when THEY used 2 or 3 or 6 Ampeg 810's ??? I reckon 90% of em had a HUGE bass sound. May NOT've been a perfect bass sound, but I bet it was LOUD as......... &, no doubt- FUN ;-p
Of couse BFM & Alex etc know FAR more than I do re speakers & their why's & hows, so, I take thir advice seriously, BUT I also like to have fun when I play- so I use my own ears & discression as well as heeding their advice.
In saying this - I'll put in a BIG VOTE for the Bergantino NV610. simply a super large-ish cab & at near 1/2 the weight of the modern SVT810....... Designed apparently to sound like the old straight back Ampeg 810. BUT as $$$$ might make it a no-go, I can say I was pretty impressed w/ the ASHDOWN 810 when I used one a year ago. I sure liked it better than the Ampeg 810 - new one- I used the previous year.

Edited by rodl2005

As long as you´re in a room with your cabs the room will add loads of modes and combfilter low frequencies anyway, no matter if you have one cab, two or twentyseven. As it´s mainly a function of the placement which is depending where you are standing on stage there´s not much choice and you will have the trouble in a kind of unpredictable way. No way to avoid that.
Oper air is different. One cab is perfect (besides first reflection from floor and - probably neglectable - from roof. Two cabs will give frequency depending combfiltering and frequency depending dispersion.
All the theory besides 2x 8x10"SVT rock. Your guitarplayer shall live in fear :brow:

Edited by jensenmann

[quote name='jensenmann' post='522065' date='Jun 23 2009, 09:19 PM']As long as you´re in a room with your cabs the room will add loads of modes and combfilter low frequencies anyway, no matter if you have one cab, two or twentyseven. As it´s mainly a function of the placement which is depending where you are standing on stage there´s not much choice and you will have the trouble in a kind of unpredictable way. No way to avoid that.
Oper air is different. One cab is perfect (besides first reflection from floor and - probably neglectable - from roof. Two cabs will give frequency depending combfiltering and frequency depending dispersion.
All the theory besides 2x 8x10"SVT rock. Your guitarplayer shall live in fear :brow:[/quote]

From my understanding, even one cab ins't perfect, since the speakers are next to eachother, just close enough that the null will not be the same for each of your ears. Two cabs directly side by side might also produce an acceptible pattern, so you can get away with it. But one each side of the drummer and from experience, the filtering is silly.

Of course, you can get bone cruching sound out of multiple 8x10s:

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='riff raff' post='545742' date='Jul 20 2009, 09:23 PM']what about a 2x15 and an 8x10 side by side.

or lying on their sides.2x15 on the bottom.[/quote]

Doom, and kinda what I was planning, but they'll all be upright, like Stonehenge. Was.

'Cause right after I bought that 6x12, [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290332656204"]the cab I was [/url]after came up. Plan was to put 3015LFs in and port it appropriately, maths says that goes plenty low enough. Might just get it as well. Doom

[quote name='riff raff' post='545802' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:23 PM']yeah, i was planning on bidding on that cab too.match it up with my 8x10.[/quote]

Well, I was aiming to get it at opening bid or let it go. Would be nice to keep it on BC so I'll have a shot in the future.

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='545936' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:24 AM']Makes no sense at all frankly.[/quote]

Makes exactly as much sense as a 15 with a 4x10 on top, but twice. In this case the 2x15 is sealed, but large, so might not have much bottom, but plan is it has more bottom than the 8x10 on top.

[quote name='riff raff' post='546040' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:37 AM']theres a lack of joyfull abandon sometimes on this forum.[/quote]
There is something exciting about going to a gig and seeing big stacks and hearing huge sounds coming from the stage.
I saw Loop once and that was a blast to another dimension, lots of speakerage and lots of wholesome volume.
Mr Foxen are you playing anywhere near me in the future? (Liverpool)

Enormous volume and power cleanses the soul of dirt.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546078' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:10 AM']There is something exciting about going to a gig and seeing big stacks and hearing huge sounds coming from the stage.
I saw Loop once and that was a blast to another dimension, lots of speakerage and lots of wholesome volume.
Mr Foxen are you playing anywhere near me in the future? (Liverpool)[/quote]

thats what im talking about.