Why become a member? ×

alternatives to the ampeg 8x10????

riff raff

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546091' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:22 AM']I run my bass into an Ampeg SVTIIP pre, into a QSC PLX3102 power amp (3100 watts), then into a Tech 6x10 and a Glockenklang 2x12, sounds alright.
I want an SVT still.[/quote]

stacked or side by side?

:)
Side by side, with the 2x12 raised off the floor. I tried them either side if the drums but that was a waste of time. Having the 2x12 under the 6x10 would be a total waste as all that Glock goodness would end up in the backs of my legs. On top of the 6x10 would make amp changes a bit of a stretch.
I would have liked that Tech 6x12 that was knocking about, did Waynepunkdude nabb that?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546078' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:10 AM']There is something exciting about going to a gig and seeing big stacks and hearing huge sounds coming from the stage.
I saw Loop once and that was a blast to another dimension, lots of speakerage and lots of wholesome volume.
Mr Foxen are you playing anywhere near me in the future? (Liverpool)

Enormous volume and power cleanses the soul of dirt.[/quote]

Ah Loop are amazing. Shame it's so hard to get hold of their records nowadays. I have a couple of their LP's but would love some more. If you like them you would probably like The Heads, don't gig that often but they really are an amazing live band, awesome bassist.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546110' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:34 AM']:rolleyes:
Side by side, with the 2x12 raised off the floor. I tried them either side if the drums but that was a waste of time. Having the 2x12 under the 6x10 would be a total waste as all that Glock goodness would end up in the backs of my legs. On top of the 6x10 would make amp changes a bit of a stretch.
I would have liked that Tech 6x12 that was knocking about, did Waynepunkdude nabb that?[/quote]

Nope, Mr. Foxen has it now. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546078' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:10 AM']There is something exciting about going to a gig and seeing big stacks and hearing huge sounds coming from the stage.
I saw Loop once and that was a blast to another dimension, lots of speakerage and lots of wholesome volume.

Joe needs to get all his amps fixed, and there are some difficulties with that, then we need to actually write a proper set instead of posing in front of cabs. Liverpool is a bit ambitious at the moment.

What's up with the amps, is the Sunn bust?
We (I'm) writing a set to start gigging with, heavy, psychedelic, face peeling material. We have about 5 songs, need another 5. When the set is complete and we're so tight that we're loose, then I'll put a MySpace page up and what have you.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546151' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:54 AM']What's up with the amps, is the Sunn bust?
We (I'm) writing a set to start gigging with, heavy, psychedelic, face peeling material. We have about 5 songs, need another 5. When the set is complete and we're so tight that we're loose, then I'll put a MySpace page up and what have you.[/quote]

Sounds great. Do you know Mugstar? They're from Liverpool and amazing. Proper psyche krautrock goodness.
Nah, the Sunn is the only of my amps which is still functioning at the moment but I don't really wanna use that for guitar. The Ampeg and Laney are both bust right now unfortunately, got a pair of 100w Burmans coming in soon though hopefully.

Love Mugstar but they don't play local enough, that's a good thing for them though.
Do you use two basses sometimes in your stuff?
What's up with the Ampeg?
I was thinking of having a punt on a 1974 SVT but it may cost me a lot of money in the future, as I will run it very hard. I used to own an early 90's SVT II and that was lovely but a 70's one has always been the holy grail for me but I want it to be reliable.

Yea, they're playing down here in Bristol in a few months. We don't currently but probably won't rule it out.
I hear so many horror stories about SVT's being unreliable, shame really, they can't all be like that surely or nobody would use them... Our one just has a dodgy preamp, works fine if you plug into the fx return but the preamp is really quiet, tech reckons it's nearly done so fingers crossed.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546192' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:24 AM']Love Mugstar but they don't play local enough, that's a good thing for them though.
Do you use two basses sometimes in your stuff?
What's up with the Ampeg?
I was thinking of having a punt on a 1974 SVT but it may cost me a lot of money in the future, as I will run it very hard. I used to own an early 90's SVT II and that was lovely but a 70's one has always been the holy grail for me but I want it to be reliable.[/quote]

I love your 2 Aggie 4x12's. I foolishly had the chance to buy an Aggie AC500, with the 4x12 for £800 from a guy who lives near me but didn't have the money to hand. But that's not as bad as missing the Ealy 70's SVT head and flat back cab that was for sale on ebay from a guy who lives in Birkenhead for £1000.
I didn't bother bidding as I thought it would go for silly money. You live and learn, must have been for a reason. :)
If I do get an SVT I won't be able to use the Tech cab as it's 6 ohms and SVT heads don't like anything above 4 ohms.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546259' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:08 PM']I love your 2 Aggie 4x12's. I foolishly had the chance to buy an Aggie AC500, with the 4x12 for £800 from a guy who lives near me but didn't have the money to hand. But that's not as bad as missing the Ealy 70's SVT head and flat back cab that was for sale on ebay from a guy who lives in Birkenhead for £1000.
I didn't bother bidding as I thought it would go for silly money. You live and learn, must have been for a reason. :)
If I do get an SVT I won't be able to use the Tech cab as it's 6 ohms and SVT heads don't like anything above 4 ohms.[/quote]

Oh yea, remember seeing that listing for the GS412 and AG500 and thinking, 'do I need a third GS412'. :-)

You can never have enough speakers.
In my old band, when we got some money, I bought the SVT and had the 8x10 on "loan" from our rehearsal place. I already had a Peavey 2x15 BW and used the two cabs together. I put the Peavey on its side on top of the 8x10 to from a kind of crucifix with the head on top, they other guys thought it was the sickest sight ever, boy did it sound good. Didn't use it like that as it was so unsafe.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='546282' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:20 PM']Oh yea, remember seeing that listing for the GS412 and AG500 and thinking, 'do I need a third GS412'. :-)[/quote]

Fairly sure you though 'I totally need a third GS412, totally, but someone will punch me in the face.'.

f*** YEAH!!!

Just bought another head :) I should have kept that 6 X 12 but then I wouldn't have a Stingray SOMEONE GIVE ME MORE MONEY!!!!

Dunno where the "unreliable' tag for Early SVT's come from??? Only few I've come across- were looked after properly- serviced every ?# of hrs usage- & ALL worked flawlessly. As does my SVTII('91) I've had that for 3 yrs now & apart from the initial service when I got it, -as It doesn't get used all the time, hasn't had a service since- altjho I DID check BIAS a while ago & all was cool. BUT That amp has -again- performed flawlessly since I've had it. NOT ONE problem!!! If fact it's THE amp I go to when I KNOW it'll do THE job where ever, whenever!! :-P