Why become a member? ×

Shuker 6 String Headless

Johngh

[quote name='dood' post='58170' date='Sep 10 2007, 12:57 PM']I take it Rob Green at Status couldn't help then?[/quote]

No, Rob uses the same supplier apparently so he was keeping all the tuners he had in stock to use to finish basses off while he finds a new supplier or waits for the old one to get back up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' post='67556' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:43 AM']Maybe this is a good time to start figuring out how to manufacture headless bass tuning parts! I reckon with such a shortage of supply, a killing could be made!!!

I am astounded that supply is sooo short![/quote]

Me too Dan. I spoke to Jon last week and he was expecting the tuners on Friday last week, so all being well I should get the Shuke by next weekend. Delivery of my bass has been delayed by about 5 weeks because of the lack of tuners. Not surprisingly, Jon has ordered a shed load of them so that future builds are not held up.

It is unusual for all major suppliers to be so short of them. I suspect the reason as suggetsed above is that Jon probably ordered them originally in time, but couldn't have known therewas what appears o be a world shortage!! Sometimes even just getting EMG pups is a hassle!

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='69273' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:01 PM']But he offers them for sale, so you'd think he would have them to hand, or at least order them in suficiently early enough, must be just me I suppose.[/quote]

Jon did order them in plenty of time, it was just a chain of events that led to the delay. It would seem that on the back of my build, Jon is now having more interest shown in having 6 string headless basses built, so he has ordered more tuners in. To be honest they are not the norm, so I would not normally expect Jon to keep them in stock. Even if he has the bridge units, which are used on most basses he builds, they are not much use without the head unit.
I should have phoned him today to see if they have turned up, but I have been out all day so I might still be on for a Saturday delivery all being well. :)

[quote name='dood' post='69276' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:06 PM']Sometimes even just getting EMG pups is a hassle![/quote]Can say that again. Jon's said that in the past EMG have had him tearing (what's left of) his hair out in frustation. I think they dragged their heels a bit with my TWs.

[quote name='Johngh' post='71038' date='Oct 8 2007, 01:41 PM']WoooHooo the tuners have finally arrived, I think Jon had to send an Interstellar Starship out to Jupiter to get them they have taken so long to arrive,or the pidgeon got lost !
I'm now on for a Saturday pick up[/quote]

Result John! Yours being finished means that mine is that little bit closer :)

Just spoken to Jon this morning, the Bass is finished and I can collect tomorrow !!! and get this, he says it sound amazing with a very rich bright but deep tone :) :huh: :huh:
It sound like just what I was after. I've asked him for a few weeks now not to send me photos, so I can get the WOW factor when I pick her up. The next 24 hours are going to be murder !
Photos will be up tomorrow !!

Yeah me too .... everybody after me ....

What do we want? A Shuker Jazz. When do we want it ? Now !

:)

[quote name='largo' post='73260' date='Oct 12 2007, 11:39 AM']Yeah me too .... everybody after me ....

:)[/quote]

Well, mines been on the go since Feb this year, I know Jon has had a bad time getting suppliers to give him the stuff he has ordered for all the basses he is making, and its drove him crazy. But a lot has been out of his hands, so much so that there are certain pup makers that he is not that happy ordering from.

Well lads a lasses here she is, I give you "Blondie" The pics are the best I can do at the moment. I will try to get better ones done. The pics don't do it justice at all. She plays like a dream, and will get her first outing tomorrow at a gig in the morning, and rehearsal with a different band in the afternoon. :) :huh: :huh: :huh:

[attachment=2854:shuke_Fin_016.jpg] [attachment=2848:shuke_Fin_006.jpg]

[attachment=2849:shuke_Fin_007.jpg] [attachment=2850:shuke_Fin_008.jpg]

[attachment=2851:shuke_Fin_010.jpg] [attachment=2852:shuke_Fin_011.jpg]

[attachment=2853:shuke_Fin_012.jpg]

Edited by Johngh