Why become a member? ×

Shuker 6 String Headless

Johngh

To be honest I was only there about 15 minutes, the traffic was dire and I arrived half an hour late, and had to get back. Also he was very busy sanding a bass down, so I didn't want to hold him up. There was not a lot there, I suspect he only brings a few in at a time because of the floods.
I will be up there in about 3 weeks to pick mine up, so I will be happy to take photos etc then.

[quote name='Johngh' post='31676' date='Jul 14 2007, 09:41 AM']To be honest I was only there about 15 minutes, the traffic was dire and I arrived half an hour late, and had to get back. Also he was very busy sanding a bass down, so I didn't want to hold him up. There was not a lot there, I suspect he only brings a few in at a time because of the floods.
I will be up there in about 3 weeks to pick mine up, so I will be happy to take photos etc then.[/quote]

Thanks John.

I'd really appreciate some photos of mine when you go back again, that would be brilliant. (if it's there of course)

Also looking forward to seeing your finished item.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Tinman

• 3 weeks later...

Been on the phone to Jon this week having just got back off holiday, trouble is, he's on holiday next week, and he tells me he is waiting for the tuners to finish the build. Anybody got a spare set of nails, its getting frustrating now !!! :)

Here are some new pics I have just got from Jon, its nearly finished now and just needs the hardware putting on. The wet look laquer has brought the quilted maple out on the body and looks stunning, and the tape has been taken off the neck so the detail on the birdseye maple can be seen. I can't wait to get my hands on it. :) :huh:

[attachment=1597:Bass_Picture_1.jpg.jpg]

[attachment=1598:Bass_Picture_2.jpg.jpg]

[quote name='steve-soar' post='42295' date='Aug 7 2007, 08:18 AM']Is that 36 or 18v ? Love the angled top.[/quote]

Steve, I have no idea what the voltage is, I just told Jon what pups and tone control I wanted based on a sound clip on his site, and left him to it. To be honest, I never take much notice of the technical side.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='steve-soar' post='42295' date='Aug 7 2007, 08:18 AM']Is that 36 or 18v ? Love the angled top.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it'll be an 18v system, especially judging by the battery compartments shown in the pics.

[quote name='Johngh' post='46643' date='Aug 16 2007, 10:25 PM']Just a quick update. I spoke to Jon yesterday and he is still waiting for the hardware to finish it off. The pups are in and he says I might be able to collect it next week !![/quote]

I had a look at it today while I was visiting him. It looks nice - the black hardware (when it finally arrives) will set off the light woods very nicely. I really liked how comfortable the body was and told Jon I wanted mine identical in shape to yours. :) My neck profile is going to be different though - a bit chunkier so my left hand doesn't cramp up.

[quote name='Johngh' post='46643' date='Aug 16 2007, 10:25 PM']Just a quick update. I spoke to Jon yesterday and he is still waiting for the hardware to finish it off. The pups are in and he says I might be able to collect it next week !![/quote]
That's great news John! I spoke to him on Tuesday, he said he was sorting yours out before he continued with mine. Looking forward to seeing you post pics of your finished item. :)

CK, I don't suppose you saw anything covered in Buckeye lying around, did you?

[quote name='Tinman' post='46715' date='Aug 17 2007, 06:33 AM']CK, I don't suppose you saw anything covered in Buckeye lying around, did you?[/quote]
I don't remember seeing anything that stunning I'm afraid.

He only showed me the basses that were finished (as in they had a finish applied) and the discussions of spec for my bass got quite involved. I held John's headless 6, played Colin's myrtle bodied bass and another with camphor facings. There was a stack of bodies on one shelf in a back room and there were a couple of necks with graphite reinforcing bars being glued up as well. I expect one of those necks might have been for your bass?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='46672' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:46 PM']I had a look at it today while I was visiting him. It looks nice - the black hardware (when it finally arrives) will set off the light woods very nicely. I really liked how comfortable the body was and told Jon I wanted mine identical in shape to yours. :) My neck profile is going to be different though - a bit chunkier so my left hand doesn't cramp up.[/quote]

Thanks for the update, I can't wait to get it. The Shuker and the Sei will go very well together.

Sad news on 2 fronts, Number 1, the finish of my Bass is held up because Jon can't get tuners for it. Number 2 its because the supplier of headless tuners to Jon has sadly died suddenly. So if my Bass is held up, so what ! I know what is most important.
Status have their headless tuners from the same suppplier it turns out. I will update further when Jon has sourced a new supplier.

Oh well thats lot of number ones and number twos isn't it?

Jon mentioned to me that he'd been looking at getting a local military machining workshop to make his hardware in the future - I wonder if these events will give him extra impetus to look into that?

I hope it doesn't hold my bass up too although its still very early days yet. I reckon I probably won't get mine much before Christmas anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Johngh' post='49814' date='Aug 23 2007, 09:30 PM']Sad news on 2 fronts, Number 1, the finish of my Bass is held up because Jon can't get tuners for it. Number 2 its because the supplier of headless tuners to Jon has sadly died suddenly. So if my Bass is held up, so what ! I know what is most important.
Status have their headless tuners from the same suppplier it turns out. I will update further when Jon has sourced a new supplier.[/quote]

I've just come off the phone to Jon, he has tracked down some tuners in the US of A and they "should" be here next week. So we are on for me picking up the bass in a weeks time.
Wheeeeheeee :)

Edited by Johngh