Why become a member? ×

Can get back to work now, didnt get the gig!

51m0n

You'll walk it I'm sure. Only thing I can add is don't rely on the drummer to play it like you have learnt it, be ready to adjust slightly to keep the grove in the pocket and keep locked into whatever the drummer is doing. Good luck with it. :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='514092' date='Jun 15 2009, 12:49 PM']You'll walk it I'm sure. Only thing I can add is don't rely on the drummer to play it like you have learnt it, be ready to adjust slightly to keep the grove in the pocket and keep locked into whatever the drummer is doing. Good luck with it. :)[/quote]

Yeah bit concerned the drummer may not be anything like the recordings (which feature some spot on tub thumping). Especially in Fire, the way they fly through the stabs I'll be missing them left right and center if he isnt bang on! So will he probably, but its me they are looking at....

Cripes, at least I'm too old for proper collywobbles (at least I think I am). No doubt when I get there I will have a major brain fart, forget which end to blow through, write "I am a fish" 400 times, give a big old salute and collapse.....

[quote name='51m0n' post='514099' date='Jun 15 2009, 12:54 PM']Yeah bit concerned the drummer may not be anything like the recordings (which feature some spot on tub thumping). Especially in Fire, the way they fly through the stabs I'll be missing them left right and center if he isnt bang on! So will he probably, but its me they are looking at....

Cripes, at least I'm too old for proper collywobbles (at least I think I am). No doubt when I get there I will have a major brain fart, forget which end to blow through, write "I am a fish" 400 times, give a big old salute and collapse.....[/quote]

Hey lets hear it for us old groovers :)
Do they know how old you are?
I seem to be asked that every time I reply to an advert these days. Probably because I don't use any text speak ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='514106' date='Jun 15 2009, 12:57 PM']Hey lets hear it for us old groovers :)
Do they know how old you are?
I seem to be asked that every time I reply to an advert these days. Probably because I don't use any text speak ...[/quote]

This is the best bit, they know how old I am, my schedule (ie job, family etc) and still want me to audition. They are of similar age, have day jobs and kids too. Could not be better mate. If I blow this I seriously doubt I'll get a better chance to play decent gigs...

Good luck! I was in touch with them way back when I was getting The Reluctant sorted. However I think by the time we were complete they were then missing a piece... So if you end up joining them we must do a gig together!

Alex

P.S. You have more than enough technique for this gig, in fact more than enough for all but the most muso music. Just be cool!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='514119' date='Jun 15 2009, 01:08 PM']Good luck! I was in touch with them way back when I was getting The Reluctant sorted. However I think by the time we were complete they were then missing a piece... So if you end up joining them we must do a gig together!

Alex

P.S. You have more than enough technique for this gig, in fact more than enough for all but the most muso music. Just be cool![/quote]

Cheers Alex! :blush:

If I get in I'll put The Reluctants name forward at the first opportunity mate....

Listening to them right now. Some really good stuff here, loving those horns :)

I like some of their promotional material too:

"9 Piece Super Heavy Funk & Soul Collective"

"Funk From the Trunk"

"Heavy Authentic Funk"

Could do with more video on YouTube though - this is all I could find:

Do you know why the outgoing guy is leaving? I see he plays a Jazz 4, are you taking the Roscoe?

Definitely agree with the stuff above about not being flashy & just finding the groove and sticking with it. It'll be so great if you get on with the drummer from the get go & really click with him :rolleyes:

Apparently a couple of weeks before the recording of their album the bassist had to leave (some emergency or other - I know, and want to know no details).

They had a session player do the bass for the recording, quite a bit more in your face than the groove on that youtube clip he was too.

Yup taking the Roscoe, it is the least active sounding bass I've got (other than the fretless, and we arent going there :)), and I've just put on some DR Hi-Beams which have a tonne more fundamental than the old D'addarios it came with, so if I dont unleash the thumb (they'll have to actually ask me to do that!) it sounds super old school, bridge sounds like a fat J bridge, neck sounds very like a P. Authentic funk is what I hope to bring, and a plump jolly fella that they all think is just the right fella to have in the rhythm section of their band :rolleyes:

Meeting in Brighton Electric studios, my son has practiced there and reckons its pretty tip top. Looks good on the website: they need a really big room to practice in!

[quote name='molan' post='514202' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:10 PM']the Roscoe will slay 'em :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to hear how it goes - all the best of luck matey :)

I reckon you just need to stick by your MySpace maxim:
[i][b]
"These days it just has to be all about the groove!"[/b][/i][/quote]

It bl00dy ought to slay them :lol:

It sure slays me anyways!

Definitely aiming right at the myspace maxim, well spotted!

The horn section is a BIG part of what I like, that and the way the drummer seems to almost be doing some breakbeat inspired stuff in places (love a bit of really good drum and bass me - think TPower)

Her voice is not too shabby either IMO, and the rhythm guitar, and the percussionist - doh, the whole lot make me go "oooooooh, niiiiice!!" :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='514173' date='Jun 15 2009, 01:53 PM']Good luck!

PS you taking the Berg :)?[/quote]

No, I'm only getting a short slot in their evening, so I will reveal the full glory of my rig if I get the gig....

Hoping to have something halfway decent to play through though...

Well, back from audition.

Being the first of three they auditioned tonight I cant tell you if I got the gig until tomorrow, but I certainly dont think I disgraced myself at all, kept in the pocket, didnt do anything silly and made sure that the pants remained on 'swing' for the whole time. Job well done.

Damn they play Fire fast in the flesh though! Dont think they noticed any errors in their stuff, except the ending of one of the tracks which has a load of surprising stabs that I've not heard (not on the edited versions on myspace that I had to listen to) - that was a highly entertaining moment as we all discovered the limits of my telepathy. On the plus side the other edited track I nailed the ending on, to the point where no one mentioned it. Now that was a classy moment :)

At this point I either get it or not, but either way I had a blast this evening. The horn section (what was there) were as tight in the flesh as they are on the recordings, very very cool indeed!

They're a nice bunch, very well organised, if I get the chance I will be saying a definite yes.

Fingers crossed!

And thanks again for all the support and advice - it was much appreciated chaps...

P.S Played through some god awful peavey rig. It was plop, the Roscoe still sounded amazing - caught the barri player eyeing up the headstock all evening trying to figure out what it was, left him guessing :rolleyes: - he was also a bit nonplussed by the whole 3 finger RH technique that was going on, ace!!

Edited by 51m0n

Good luck - sounds like you don't need it though if you got on well with them and nailed the structures to the demo recordings (which sound great BTW).

I've just finished auditioning drummers for The Police Cover-Up (obviously a Sting and the Police tribute in case you're unsure) and found it to be such a frustrating process. We had a few drummers turn up and just make it all up on the audition having done no prep whatsover; despite me picking out 5 tracks for them to check out that I felt displayed the variety of technical reqirements and feels for the gig. We also had a few drummers that were really passionate about the music/gig and really did their homwork, but didn't quite turn the corners on the groove side of things and fell a little short on sounding confident on the more technical moments (like Vinnie Colliuta's stunning drum parts for Seven Days). We then had a few drummers that were really technical rock/fusion drummers, but couldn't quite get their heads around reggae kick drum placement/feel...

Anyway, to summarise, the guy that got the gig was the guy that loved the music, really did his prep, was of a good enoguh technical standard, didn't give us any bullsh*t and most importantly got on well with everyone.

In your case, they really need a decent bassist that can get on well with them and make them sound as good as their last player and you really dig what they're doing and have gone to that audition prepared with a good understanding of the technique and sound required from you. The mostly likely scenario is that they (like I did) will get a number of disappointing auditionions until they find someone like yourself. The worst case scenario is that they have more than one stunning audition in one evening and flip a coin or go with a gut instinct decision to determine who gets the job...

[quote name='51m0n' post='514917' date='Jun 16 2009, 12:46 AM']Job well done.

Fingers crossed!

the Roscoe still sounded amazing[/quote]

Great news - really hope you get it, sounds like you nailed everything & the Roscoe came up trumps :rolleyes:

I got a call for an audition this morning in my email for a local band - (nothing like this one of course!) - and the main thing they said was that they desperately wanted someone they could simply get along with and could have a good time. Apparently their previous bass man had a bit of an 'attitude' problem.

Mind you, I haven't met them yet so maybe it's them with the attitude & not the bass guy :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='514917' date='Jun 16 2009, 12:46 AM']Well, back from audition.

Being the first of three they auditioned tonight I cant tell you if I got the gig until tomorrow, but I certainly dont think I disgraced myself at all, kept in the pocket, didnt do anything silly and made sure that the pants remained on 'swing' for the whole time. Job well done.

Damn they play Fire fast in the flesh though! Dont think they noticed any errors in their stuff, except the ending of one of the tracks which has a load of surprising stabs that I've not heard (not on the edited versions on myspace that I had to listen to) - that was a highly entertaining moment as we all discovered the limits of my telepathy. On the plus side the other edited track I nailed the ending on, to the point where no one mentioned it. Now that was a classy moment :)

At this point I either get it or not, but either way I had a blast this evening. The horn section (what was there) were as tight in the flesh as they are on the recordings, very very cool indeed!

They're a nice bunch, very well organised, if I get the chance I will be saying a definite yes.

Fingers crossed!

And thanks again for all the support and advice - it was much appreciated chaps...

P.S Played through some god awful peavey rig. It was plop, the Roscoe still sounded amazing - caught the barri player eyeing up the headstock all evening trying to figure out what it was, left him guessing :rolleyes: - he was also a bit nonplussed by the whole 3 finger RH technique that was going on, ace!![/quote]

Good stuff. Sound like you played as well as you could so if you don't get it, then its probably nothing to do with your playing. If its not to be then it was not right for you is the attitude I always take and something better will come along later.

[quote name='Linus27' post='515045' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:04 AM']Good stuff. Sound like you played as well as you could so if you don't get it, then its probably nothing to do with your playing. If its not to be then it was not right for you is the attitude I always take and something better will come along later.[/quote]

Yeah thats how I'm looking at it.

Cant imagine a much better gig for my situation to be honest.

Still no word, so starting to think they probably chose someone else....