Why become a member? ×

How good do you need to be...

Eight

A short while ago something weird happened - for the first time in my (reasonably long) life I started thinking that it might be fun to join a band. So I've kept an eye out on the local ads etc. Nothing ever took my interest.

Until now.

But that's got me wondering... I've only been playing bass for six months... am I being ridiculous? Now I'm not saying they'd want me - so it's not so much about [b]this[/b] band. But I have no idea what level my playing should be at to even consider such a thing.

Any kind of checklist items you can think of that I should be able to do before this is a possibility?

(BTW It's an alternative punk/hardcore band - not music I'm hugely into but it's not a million miles away. And any band I considered in the future would be either punk or metal.)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='512086' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:24 PM']I joined my first band before I could play.

S.P.[/quote]

+1 effectively me too :)

I would say though that you need to be able to play in time to be useful. It only has to be straight crotchets for some stuff, but hardcore punk would probably prefer quavers (Yankee translation: 1/8th notes) at tempos around 130+ bpm.

On the plus side you are going to be mainly hitting root notes, no fills are actually [i]required[/i], beyond maybe the odd slide. Although learning the major and minor triad shape is never a bad thing (if nothing else you'll be at home with the Ramones :rolleyes:)

All you punk gods don't flame me, I'm laying out what I consider a bare minimum to really hold your own in a punk bank, obviously there are punk bassists who go waaaaay beyond these criteria!

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Eight' post='512084' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:22 PM']A short while ago something weird happened - for the first time in my (reasonably long) life I started thinking that it might be fun to join a band. So I've kept an eye out on the local ads etc. Nothing ever took my interest.

Until now.

But that's got me wondering... I've only been playing bass for six months... am I being ridiculous? Now I'm not saying they'd want me - so it's not so much about [b]this[/b] band. But I have no idea what level my playing should be at to even consider such a thing.

Any kind of checklist items you can think of that I should be able to do before this is a possibility?

(BTW It's an alternative punk/hardcore band - not music I'm hugely into but it's not a million miles away. And any band I considered in the future would be either punk or metal.)[/quote]

As for a check list items I would say:

Bass
combo or amp/cab, 100 watts minimum for that type of band
tuner

I say go for it, be honest about your abilities and that your very keen to play, if you dont get the gig it's good expereince of auditioning and you will have played with other musicians, all good.

Edited by subaudio

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='512086' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:24 PM']I joined my first band before I could play.[/quote]
Same here - I had an acoustic that I knew a few chords on and some friends formed a band. They asked me to join and play bass so went out and bought a beat-up Kay Jazz from a friend :)

That was 37 years ago... :rolleyes:

If you pump out a steady stream of 8ths or 16ths when they run through the songs and shout out the root of each chord to you, then you write it down and can do the same when they're not shouting out the root that's probably the minimum technical ability needed and you can build more interesting basslines at home if you record the rehearsals.

Go for it - if you do get invited to join, you will be amazed at how your playing will improve.

Good Luck!

Hmm... this might be plausible then. Half of me was really hoping to find something here which would let me off the hook. :)

I'm not too bad on fretboard knowledge, know my scales and basic arpeggio shapes pretty well and can generally thump out crotchets and quavers, semis etc. in good time when playing along to metronomes, basic drum tracks etc. in my dining room.

Would need to get my amp situation sorted though.

[quote name='51m0n' post='512133' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:06 PM']Its equally likely that they refer to these by fret number though.[/quote]
You think they might not know the notes? Amateurs! :rolleyes:

Edited by Eight

Sounds like playing-wise you're more than ready!

Just keep looking in the sales section here for a rig.

To jam with a loud punk band you are going to need either a serious combo, or a decent head and cab.

Its a tough call to make but I would suggest anything under 300w may not be enough for gigs with a punk band.

YMMV....

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Eight' post='512155' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:35 PM']Hmm... this might be plausible then. Half of me was really hoping to find something here which would let me off the hook. :)

I'm not too bad on fretboard knowledge, know my scales and basic arpeggio shapes pretty well and can generally thump out crotchets and quavers, semis etc. in good time when playing along to metronomes, basic drum tracks etc. in my dining room.

Would need to get my amp situation sorted though.

You think they might not know the notes? Amateurs! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Cool, good for you. go for it!

Thinking about it If the audition is in a propper rehearsal room they will have bass amps there, if it is find out where it is and book one, it should only cost £10 tops some dont even charge for amps, plus as a rule you dont contribute to rehearsal costs of your audition.

Edited by subaudio

[quote name='Eight' post='512155' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:35 PM']I'm not too bad on fretboard knowledge, know my scales and basic arpeggio shapes pretty well and can generally thump out crotchets and quavers, semis etc. in good time[/quote]

Righto then - the answer, seriously, is yes, you're probably good enough for most bands out there. Why hang around?

Just give it another couple of weeks if it's polyrhythmic Jazz or Rush covers you're after. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='512175' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:52 PM']Why hang around?[/quote]
If I'm honest with myself... fear.

Not of not getting the gig, if someone were to say "thanks, but you're not good enough" I'd be more than cool with that. I guess fear of getting it and not being able to cut the mustard.

But there's a part of me saying "Yeah, well how long do you plan to practice/learn before trying to get in a band? Another six months? A year? Will you ever really do it or are you all talk?"

However... I am not flush at the moment (who is). I should think about the amp situation more.

Edited by Eight

As long as you can tell one end of the bass from the other I'm sure you're more than qualified to play in a band. I might have been practicing with lessons for about 6 months before I started to play with other musicians.

[quote name='peted' post='512195' date='Jun 12 2009, 03:06 PM']I might have been practicing with lessons for about 6 months before I started to play with other musicians.[/quote]
That made me think - I should maybe ask my teacher what she thinks about the idea. She probably knows my abilities and playing better than I do and doesn't tend to blow smoke up my arse. :)

Edit: fat fingers impacting on my spelling.

Edited by Eight

I'd love to play in a band myself, but for me the fear factor is just too great. I don't know why, but my standard of playing (all instruments) goes right down when I'm with other musicians. What I need is a few people I know to just go and make some noise and try to get into it. Unfortunately my only two musician friens both live about 100 miles away from me.

I wish I'd done it when I was younger, my biggest regret in life.

[quote name='Golchen' post='512269' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:27 PM']I wish I'd done it when I was younger, my biggest regret in life.[/quote]
Yeah me too.

I guess that's part of the reason why bits of me are screaming to take a crack at something soon. I'm thirty (my best days are behind me) and I've always played an instrument, always listened to music but never been in a band.

I don't want to die with that hanging over me.

Edit: :) @ Bilbo. For jazz, you wouldn't.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='512086' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:24 PM']I joined my first band before I could play.

S.P.[/quote]

There's a longish list of quite famous bassists who did the same. Some would say several of them couldn't play when they left the band in question either :)

Like anything else, with the possible exceptions of performing surgery and piloting an airliner, confidence is as important as talent, go for it

[quote name='Beedster' post='512310' date='Jun 12 2009, 05:17 PM']There's a longish list of quite famous bassists who did the same. Some would say several of them couldn't play when they left the band in question either :)

Like anything else, with the possible exceptions of performing surgery and piloting an airliner, confidence is as important as talent, go for it[/quote]

I never said I was confident, nearly filled my shreddies on the first gig as it happens, but that wasnt really very important, I was in a band making a (indescribably painful, I have no doubt) noise on a stage.

It took several years and a huge amount of practice to be at all confident.

But I wouldnt let my experience discourage anyone who can name the notes and play in time from joining a band and doing exactly the same - its top fun after all :rolleyes:

Guest subaudio

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='512282' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:44 PM']What do you need a tuner for? :)[/quote]

well, I dont know about you, but I for one cant play on an empty stomach :rolleyes:

[quote name='subaudio' post='512319' date='Jun 12 2009, 05:29 PM']well, I dont know about you, but I for one cant play on an empty stomach :rolleyes:[/quote]
Always have a flask of coffee and a supply of biccies or chocolate stashed behind the amp (that's why we use big amps :D ) for slack moments between songs.
If there's an extended embarrassed pause 'cos nobody knows what to say, brew up.. goes down well with audiences! :lol:

Those with the fear.. go for it and be honest about your abilities, as a couple of others have said. A major part of fitting into a band is actually relating to the other members. Bull***t will out and then no amount of good playing will save you! Work with them and they'll usually work with you.
A great thing about getting through a moment of fear is adrenaline - the wonder drug and quite addictive. Enjoy! :)

Guest subaudio

[quote name='hubrad' post='512327' date='Jun 12 2009, 05:44 PM']Always have a flask of coffee and a supply of biccies or chocolate stashed behind the amp (that's why we use big amps :)[/quote]

That's true, most punters think it's a mythical machine fabled to be called a "smoke machine" but it is in fact the bass player making a brew, thats why you always see "smoke" wafting across the stage on the slow numbers.

[quote name='subaudio' post='512333' date='Jun 12 2009, 05:51 PM']That's true, most punters think it's a mythical machine fabled to be called a "smoke machine" but it is in fact the bass player making a brew, thats why you always see "smoke" wafting across the stage on the slow numbers.[/quote]
:brow: