Why become a member? ×

pickup advice for my 80's jap fender precision.

riff raff

hi everyone.one of my firsts posts here and i thought i'd pick the brains of the wise and wonderful here. i've got an 80's fender p.japan.
playing in a an acdc tribute band.so im using this bass exclusively for it.already strung it with d'addario flats.playing through an svt cl and various ampeg cabs.just not quite getting cliffs sound.not that its particularly unique!!!! lol.just wondering if any of you guys out there would recommend any pickup upgrades that might help.cliff williams sound although possibly unremarkable to a lot of you hi fi guys is nevertheless an essential element of acdc's sound.......the music just doesn't rock as hard when its not right.not had the p long and i'm finding the tone control massively sensitive and erring towards the trebly side of things.and just mudding up on the bass side.i.m looking for a thick warm tone.....a thrum as i call it!!!!!!lol, but still with definition and punch.not muddy and dull. any advice or opinions will be gladly welcomed. cheers.rob.

well i'm new enough to the forum so there must be a wealth of infomation in the search function on good pickups but i can say from my own experience i am REALLY happy with my Lindy Fralin Pickups - Il ove the tone of them - and the step up from fender pups to these was noticeable and put a smile on my face - however if there are better passive pickups out there ill be watching to see what others say.

Wizard Thumper is the popular choice around here to upgrade a P bass. Go to the Wizard pickups website and have a look.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass[/url]

Edited by Rayman

yeah..i was expecting that to be a popular suggestion. just looking for some opinions on whether 1/4 pounds,wizard etc are what i'm looking for because they're gonna help with the sound i'm looking for or simply because they're better than the standard fenders.d'ya know what i mean?

fralin, nordstrand, seymour duncan quarterpounder, .... all very good.

but as far as i know cliff williams used to play a musicman stringray with ac/dc, didn´t he? though i like the tone of a good fender p even better for this style of music ...

sandmann

[quote name='riff raff' post='511246' date='Jun 11 2009, 02:40 PM']yeah..i was expecting that to be a popular suggestion. just looking for some opinions on whether 1/4 pounds,wizard etc are what i'm looking for because they're gonna help with the sound i'm looking for or simply because they're better than the standard fenders.d'ya know what i mean?[/quote]

1/4lbers are great pickups, some people find them a bit OTT though, me I don't, I think they're great, but [i]very[/i] hot. The Thumpers are great though, I think they'll give you exactly what you want.

[quote name='Sandmann' post='511262' date='Jun 11 2009, 02:53 PM']fralin, nordstrand, seymour duncan quarterpounder, .... all very good.

but as far as i know cliff williams used to play a musicman stringray with ac/dc, didn´t he? though i like the tone of a good fender p even better for this style of music ...

sandmann[/quote]
you are totally right about the stingrays.i believe they're very early 76 77 models.but my band is the bon scott era only.cliff wasn't really using stingrays until the very late seventies.i have tried modern stingrays but weren't really the same. the bass player before cliff was using gibsons.grabbers i think.early footage of cliff shows him using p's primarily.and again in the eighties.also seen him with jazzes and thunderbirds. honestly..im really not as anal as this post makes me sound.lol. :)

Edited by riff raff

I have a late 80s Fender MIJ P-bass too & fitted mine with a Seymour Duncan SPB-1. I was amazed with the condition of the old pup - I was going to put it on EBay until I saw how rusty it was! The bass sounds great now & I see the Iron Maiden tribute bass uses this pickup. Different style to me but shows the versality of it

[quote name='henry norton' post='511365' date='Jun 11 2009, 04:16 PM']I have just one thing to say to you. [u][b]DiMarzio.[/b][/u] Actually that was several words but I think you'll be able to find something meaningful in amongst all the gibberish.[/quote]
lol +1

[quote name='riff raff' post='511593' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:43 PM']i'm feeling the wizard thumper.[/quote]
The thing about Wizard is that if you ring Andy and explain to him exactly what it is you're looking for, he'll custom-wind something for you if the stock winding isn't going to give you exactly what you need.

• 1 month later...