Why become a member? ×

A cat amongst plecking pigeons

mikhay77

[quote name='mikhay77' post='506890' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:52 AM']In an age of modern amps,cabs and bass electronics,why do some players just play with a plectrum,surely tonal variety is much wider finger stylie,or are we stuck in a rut.I cant seem to justify using one,except sometimes playing guitar,............discuss[/quote]

Bro you are the bass equivalent of two old people copulating

Your mind is so narrow, this isn't bassnazi.com

Edited by Basszilla

[quote name='Tinman' post='507102' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:41 PM']I've said it before and I'm going to say it again now. If a plectrum is good enough for the likes of Mike Rutherford, John McVie et al, then it's good enough for me. :) Ta

Pete[/quote]

You can add one of the greatest living musicians/bassists to that, Scott Thunes. He liked to play jazz on a '63 Precision with a pick and a chorus pedal.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='507116' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:55 PM']Bro you are the bass equivalent of two old people copulating

Your mind is so narrow, this isn't bassnazi.com[/quote]

I think someone told him picks are for bassists who can really play, or something. And he believed them.

[quote name='silddx' post='507118' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:56 PM']You can add one of the greatest living musicians/bassists to that, Scott Thunes. He liked to play jazz on a '63 Precision with a pick and a chorus pedal.[/quote]
Vindication indeed, thanks :)

Ok, reckon i'll say something constructive this time. I have nothing against bassists who feel picks give a better/good sound, as I agree that it can sound good. What I object to is bassists who use a pick because they're an ex-guitarist who can't be arsed to at least try out the most widely used bass technique (or I assume it's more widely used these days).

[quote name='Zach' post='507121' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:02 PM']Ok, reckon i'll say something constructive this time. I have nothing against bassists who feel picks give a better/good sound, as I agree that it can sound good. What I object to is bassists who use a pick because they're an ex-guitarist who can't be arsed to at least try out the most widely used bass technique (or I assume it's more widely used these days).[/quote]
Why object? Who really cares? If you don't like it don't listen to it.

As for being constructive, you're hardly being that. I'm an ex-guitarist who feels that moving to the bass is a step up. Rather than slating us, why not help us out?

Constructive? Pah!

[quote name='Zach' post='507121' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:02 PM']Ok, reckon i'll say something constructive this time. I have nothing against bassists who feel picks give a better/good sound, as I agree that it can sound good. What I object to is bassists who use a pick because they're an ex-guitarist who can't be arsed to at least try out the most widely used bass technique (or I assume it's more widely used these days).[/quote]

So why does it matter in any way shape or form what exactly you use to induce movement in the strings? Who cares what's the most widely used technique? Ever considered thinking for yourself? If someone used a bloody biro that's fine with me as long as he/she's happy with it.

[quote name='4000' post='507135' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:17 PM']So why does it matter in any way shape or form what exactly you use to induce movement in the strings? Who cares what's the most widely used technique? Ever considered thinking for yourself? If someone used a bloody biro that's fine with me as long as he/she's happy with it.[/quote]

Now you're bringing Levin into it. With all the technology around, he uses bloody chopsticks [b]ON A BASS[/b] for crying out loud.

Yawn!

Any thread started with a post that ends with the word "discuss" usually seems to be not looking for any answers, but looking to start a flamewar. What a pointless and sad thing to do.

Some people might like playing with fingers
Some people might like playing with a pick
some people might like playing by slapping the strings with a sardine
Some people might like using a combination of the above and other techniques

So what? Get over it

Move along nothing to see here.

Tinman, my apologies, but all of my experience with people who play purely with a pick comes school. Every year we have a battle of the bands, and every year a bunch of guitarists decide they're going to become bassists, so they stand there badly hammering out root note crotchets with a pick, which doesn't add to the music at all and just completely disappears under the guitars, yet they still think they're super awesome. I guess that's what I dislike, not the fact itself that they're using a pick.

At first I offered to help, but none ever accepted it.

[quote name='Zach' post='507181' date='Jun 6 2009, 07:29 PM']Tinman, my apologies, but all of my experience with people who play purely with a pick comes school. Every year we have a battle of the bands, and every year a bunch of guitarists decide they're going to become bassists, so they stand there badly hammering out root note crotchets with a pick, which doesn't add to the music at all and just completely disappears under the guitars, yet they still think they're super awesome. I guess that's what I dislike, not the fact itself that they're using a pick.

At first I offered to help, but none ever accepted it.[/quote]
Apology accepted friend.
I see your point, I know it's difficult getting through to people who think they know it all. All I ask is that you think before making such a generalisation and be careful when launching such a criticism.

Thanks again :)

Pete

[quote name='mikhay77' post='506890' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:52 AM']In an age of modern amps,cabs and bass electronics,why do some players just play with a plectrum,surely tonal variety is much wider finger stylie,or are we stuck in a rut.I cant seem to justify using one,except sometimes playing guitar,............discuss[/quote]

Not a great deal to discuss IMO...surely having the option of being able to play either with fingers or a pick would give the widest tonal variety.

Tommy Shannon springs to mind as someone who regularly switches between both due to the tonal differences.

Of course, whatever you choose will be the option that is best suited to your style and playing situation I would have thought.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='507162' date='Jun 6 2009, 07:04 PM']What does Bruce Dickinson know about the great plec/fingers debate?[/quote]
Clearly I am his evil ginger twin & we share common thought patterns.

Can't see the resemblance myself (and you obviously haven't heard me sing!) but it's better than being likened to Jon Bon Jovi - yes Mrs T I am talking to you! :rolleyes: :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='507295' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:04 PM']Can't see the resemblance myself (and you obviously haven't heard me sing!) but it's better than being likened to Jon Bon Jovi - yes Mrs T I am talking to you! :rolleyes: :)[/quote]

I'm sorry - I haven't seen this - I never venture outside off topic don'cha know? :lol:

PS: you know full well that in a certain light and with the wind behind you (and beer steins in front of you) you look just like JBJ :D

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='507307' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:53 PM']I'm sorry - I haven't seen this - I never venture outside off topic don'cha know? :rolleyes:

PS: you know full well that in a certain light and with the wind behind you (and beer steins in front of you) you look just like JBJ :lol:[/quote]
Beer goggles! :)

And I assume you're an impostor then - what have you done with the real Terri? :D

J.