Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='Flanker' post='529078' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:01 PM']Jeez Paul is it coming by ship??? :rolleyes:

Don't worry it'll be worth it! :)[/quote]

Doh! that could be it and there was me thinking it was coming on Air force One..

[quote name='birdy' post='528406' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:23 AM']Thats gorgeous Nick!! Is it the 1600 model? Now that you have had it a few? months how are you finding it?

Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve

It's an LG5 with a spalted Alder body. It's really very light in weight. I'm finding it really very good. The pickups and preamp a
are great. The bass plays beautifully, nice low action. The neck is one of the nicest I've ever had both in feel and stability. I
tweaked the truss rod when it arrived and I changed to a different gauge of strings and since then I've not had to touch it.

Sounds great through the IP stack.

Cheers

Nick

Jeez, Flanker's P is a beaut!! (hmmm, maybe I should re-phrase that...)

I was sorely tempted to have a punt on an immaculate original Antigua-burst '78 P that came up on ebay a few months ago. Was unsure whether the finish would look too pallid "in the wood", so to speak, so I didn't. Damn, wish I'd had a punt now!!

Fantastic basses anyway! Never really taken much notice of ACs until this thread. Thought they were way too pricey for Fender clones but having read the LG5 review in BGM I can now understand why.

Now, where's me credit card gone...?

Edited by Captain Bassman

[quote name='NickThomas' post='532322' date='Jul 4 2009, 11:03 AM']I keep finding myself being drawn back to this thread for another look. They're all amazing !!
Time to thin down my herd maybe?[/quote]

The logic in my thinking went like this: I’ve bought and sold a lot of basses over the last year or two and generally had five at any given time. I decided to think through what I really wanted and that was essentially a very well, made high end jazz, probably a five and with a vintage type tone and perhaps the extra versatility of a gentle pre. I considered and tried a number basses though felt a Coppolo might well fit the bill if only I could get to try one. When the Bass Merchant brought two back from NAMM I though now’s my chance to try one out. I just missed the boat as the jazz (now Birdy's) went to Bass guitar Magazine for review and they kept it there for 8 weeks!. When It came back and I got to play it, I decided a Coppolo was the one for me.
So there you have it, I'm gonna run my Coppolo and one other bass. Two basses is plenty for me and in selling off other basses I will actually have less money tied up in gear, regardless of how expensive my current squeeze is

[quote name='Platypus' post='532380' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:28 PM']The logic in my thinking went like this: I’ve bought and sold a lot of basses over the last year or two and generally had five at any given time. I decided to think through what I really wanted and that was essentially a very well, made high end jazz, probably a five and with a vintage type tone and perhaps the extra versatility of a gentle pre. I considered and tried a number basses though felt a Coppolo might well fit the bill if only I could get to try one. When the Bass Merchant brought two back from NAMM I though now’s my chance to try one out. I just missed the boat as the jazz (now Birdy's) went to Bass guitar Magazine for review and they kept it there for 8 weeks!. When It came back and I got to play it, I decided a Coppolo was the one for me.
So there you have it, I'm gonna run my Coppolo and one other bass. Two basses is plenty for me and in selling off other basses I will actually have less money tied up in gear, regardless of how expensive my current squeeze is[/quote]

Has it arrived yet? :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='532630' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:59 PM']MY WORD thats killer...

So are AC's that good...? Sorry didnt go through all posts...Better than Celinders/Sadowsky's/LowEnds??[/quote]

C'mon Andrew, givus the easy questions first !

[quote name='bubinga5' post='532666' date='Jul 4 2009, 10:13 PM']:) ...ive got a gut feeling that a Celinder J5 would be better..i would love to play both to see...[/quote]

At this level of instrument there's no better IMO. Celinder's are great basses as are Sadowsksy's etc.

All I know is I would not swap the Alleva I have for any other bass.

Check out talkbass - there are a lot of serious gearheads who now swear by ACs

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='532730' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:44 AM']At this level of instrument there's no better IMO. Celinder's are great basses as are Sadowsksy's etc.

All I know is I would not swap the Alleva I have for any other bass.

Check out talkbass - there are a lot of serious gearheads who now swear by ACs

Steve[/quote]

So is that it Steve? You've found "the one" ?

[quote name='NickThomas' post='532793' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:08 AM']So is that it Steve? You've found "the one" ?[/quote]

As of today yes :) Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

What I am finding is that it's a very versatile instrument that works in a whole range of situations more so than any other I have owned.

Whether its the one or not is a tricky question but I would be hard placed to find something more suitable for me!!

[quote name='birdy' post='506051' date='Jun 5 2009, 02:43 AM']No I think what he has done is replicated the batteries to simulate how the power may have been back in the 60's :)

Case/gig bag was provided. If I was going to suggest one improvement it would be to provide a higher quality branded case in the same manner as Sadowsky etc. That's just me being ultra picky however.

Steve[/quote]

Are you sure they had active basses in the 60s!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one of it being played by someone who knew what they were doing (that's not going to happen again!)
Can't imagine what it must have sounded like with that bass, that backline and THAT player (this is a shot of Nathan East playing it at Bass Player Live )

[quote name='Platypus' post='539799' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:15 PM']Oh, did somebody call?[/quote]

That is stunning. I really like these Alleva's...the only thing competing in my mind is NYC Sadowsky. Anyone know how they compare? Alleva seem a little less common, which is kinda cool.