Why become a member? ×

Anyone else p'd off with Chilis at Hampden last thursday?

Delberthot

I would like to get other peoples view points about last week's gig.

I was looking forward to this for ages. I bought tickets the day they came out. I am a huge Chilis/Flea fan to the extent that I have had 7 stingrays, a Modulus Flea and am currently on my second Gallien Krueger amp. And a chilis tattoo on my arm. Not to mention many sets of GHS Flea boomers strings, DOD envelope filter, nearly dyed my hair blue for the "by the way" tour.

They came on with a very long jam before beginning the first song. They played a lot of album songs that the average person would not have heard of before. They played about 5 songs that I had never heard of before - this is bearing in mind that i have every song ever recorded by them so they must either be songs that they have written on the road or covers of other bands' songs by bands that i have not heard of before.

Anthony was off stage a lot of the night. Don't get me wrong, the songs that they did were s*@t hot but there was too much arseing(sp) around and not enough songs that people actually knew. Don't forget the £3.50 bottles of wife beater with 4" foam head, no food and no programmes.

All in all very disappointing. If you own "Off the Map" on DVD don't go to see the Chilis. As far as i am aware this is the best concert that they have done and is how I will remember them. I will never go to see them ever again unless they decide to actually give a s£$t.

I used to buy into the whole give it the funk attitude that they talked about but now it seems like a bunch of BS since they sold out to pop music.

eg. I saw the Eagles last year. probably not a band that would need to sign on at the dole office but refreshing to find a band that has been touring for years that are still so much into it. That is still the best concert I have been to with the Floyd in 1994 in London a very close second

Rant over - what do you think?

Edited by Delberthot

Saw about half an hour of the Chilis set at Leeds Fest on Sunday, before retiring to my tent in despair. They seemed to just be w***ing off, and not really interested in playing any [i]songs[/i], much like Delberthot's experience at Hampden.

However, finally getting to see the Smashing Pumpkins after 10+ years of obsessive fandom actually brought a tear or two to my eye.

Saw Simple Minds at Liverpool last year. This is a band that many people would say are "no longer relevant", but they were on stage for 2 full hours and the energy and the hits the audience wanted to hear just kept on coming. It was probably the shortest 2 hours of my life and maybe the best value for money gig I've ever been to. (Then again, there was seeing Level 42 for the first time for just £3.50....)

This is how it should be and it would seriously bug me to pay today's extortionate ticket prices only to be faced with a band that basically didn't seem to care.

I saw The Chillis at Leeds fest. I wasn't expecting much as last time I saw them I was sorely disappointed. But they were better than expected. They had a better sound and seemed more into it. But there was a lot of jamming and I walked away from the jam at the end.

I think they've lost touch with everything they were. Maybe they should start using again. They seemed more in touch with reality when they were on herion than they do now.

EAGLES = Best live band ever, period. They put on a show that is perfection in singing, playing and showmanship.

CLAPTON = Worst show ever, didn't speak to audience, very arrogant, no show.

McCartney = Fantastic live show, with lots of interaction with the audience.

PRINCE = Going to see this show next week.......

My guitarist loves RHCP, specially Frusciante.

He went to see them on Thursday (he lives in Dublin) and has moaned about the gig since he got back: same as OP said - no crowd interaction, Kiedis had his back to the crowd for most of the show, played obscure songs, jammed for ages.

Dissapointed.

But he made up for it by buying himself a new Schecter Synyster Custom.

I have to ask myself sometimes - what's a millionaire (actual) doing dicking around in my half-arsed covers band?

His gear value is higher than the band's whole PA system.

Mark

[quote name='bassfunk' post='52778' date='Aug 30 2007, 01:41 PM']Maybe they should start using again. They seemed more in touch with reality when they were on herion than they do now.[/quote]

Im with stupid.

John on Drugs

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTcYKme45w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTcYKme45w[/url]

John Clean

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsL41ZSUPk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsL41ZSUPk[/url]

I like both, but I think its a bit OTT to suggest they should start using lol

sorry if you were only jokin around :)

Personally after seeing them twice play the old hits and only 3 tracks of a new album I would welcome any gig where they didn't play the hits. I enjoyed watching the reading set because it was a bit different. The jams are what makes it for me really. Nice to see Josh playing with them too :)

[quote name='Super_Mario_Bass' post='52824' date='Aug 30 2007, 03:14 PM']Im with stupid.

John on Drugs

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTcYKme45w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTcYKme45w[/url]

John Clean

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsL41ZSUPk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsL41ZSUPk[/url]

I like both, but I think its a bit OTT to suggest they should start using lol

sorry if you were only jokin around :)[/quote]

For my money the first song is much better. It's harrowing stuff, but the second one holds no interest for me at all. The first one is astonishing, in a depressing way. The other one sounds like any of a dozen guys from my uni in their rooms in halls with a laptop and a tonepod.

Your post title made me smile. **last thursday** heh.

Go back to the beginning, right back to the beginning. They did five great studio albums (up to and including Blood Sugar Sex Magik) in the seven years to 1991 and followed that with four pretty terrible ones, five (yes, five) Greatest Hits compilations and a live CD over the next sixteen.

So far as 'last Thursday' goes, I got pissed with that band when JF left and Navarro arrived for One Hot Minute and I try to avoid the band whenever I'm unlucky enough to be exposed to them. Sure Flea and JF have the talent; Chad Smith in the scheme of things really isn't that good a drummer and AK has no voice and lyrically he sucks the big one. Too much exposure. Too many drugs.

I'm sorry, basses and tattoos aside, they stink!
P

They wrote one or two decent tunes and I reckon JF and Flea can play pretty well (JF is also a better vocalist), but I don't see why there is such a big deal about the chillis.

Also, I cant take any band seriously that has had Dave Navarro in its ranks at any point.

Edited by presoulnation

incredible studio band. not a huge fan of the new album, far too processed.

they're simply past their time for the music they play. their old live shows and performances were incredible. now they're all a bit pants. all those years of using have finally caught up with them I think.

they're still one of my favourite all-time bands. their new stuff is not the same anymore though.

I think their funk peaked at BSSM. Their chillout Frusciante rhythm style songs peaked at Californication. The stuff before BSSM was developmental, hit and miss. I haven't a clue what they're doing now (it's not my generation). By the Way was alright (a grower). Respect to them though for being as successful and flexible as they are and for their ability to adapt to musical fashion.

I still hold though that despite BSSM and Californication being very different, they both seem very natural. Under The Bridge is obviously their title track.

I have to admit though, I think we live in a time where it's very difficult to make something significant within the realms of alternative music.

i'm not a massive fan, but i did see them in hyde park a few years back...the must have gone right off the boil as they were pretty darn good back then..what was it ? 2004 ?

shame...i know they seem to be getting a lot of flack these days...ah well. all good things and such

[quote name='ahpook' post='53077' date='Aug 31 2007, 12:22 AM']i'm not a massive fan, but i did see them in hyde park a few years back...the must have gone right off the boil as they were pretty darn good back then..what was it ? 2004 ?

shame...i know they seem to be getting a lot of flack these days...ah well. all good things and such[/quote]

Saw them on that tour also, at Man City's ground. James Brown (RIP) supported and the RHCP gave an excellent show. Shame they seem to have gone off for this one. As a few have said, some bands just go on delivering forever in a live setting, others peak and fade away. Maybe its time for them to do some solo stuff and work with other people for a while.

I used to be a huge Chilis fan, from Mother's Milk. I also caught them live twice, in '95 and '99. They are now however, a pale imitation of what they once were. For me, they lost that spark a long time ago. I'm almost cringing at some of their songs/performances these days.