Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Love Hate Relationship

KERMITNT

I tried 3 Jazz basses till now i couldent get comfy to any of them.. The neck is not for me at all. Even marcus miller that i like cant say that it felt home to me...

In general i dont like jazz basses at all WTF?

On the other hand stingray feels to me home.. I love them..

I am asking if is only me?

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='500620' date='May 29 2009, 09:48 AM']I tried 3 Jazz basses till now i couldent get comfy to any of them.. The neck is not for me at all. Even marcus miller that i like cant say that it felt home to me...

I am asking if is only me?[/quote]
Its ok not to like Jazz basses, there not the be all and end all... :)

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='500620' date='May 29 2009, 09:48 AM']I tried 3 Jazz basses till now i couldent get comfy to any of them.. The neck is not for me at all. Even marcus miller that i like cant say that it felt home to me...

I just sold a 2009 MIA Jazz (at a big loss :) ) as it didn't feel right to me. I am a P-bass devotee and the narrow neck and body shape of the Jazz didn't sit right with me either

Its funny as I have come to the conclusion in the last two weeks that after all my 20 years of playing, the Jazz bass is my ideal bass. I started out playing an ESP Jazz which is the best sounding Jazz I had heard (did not know it at the time) but always longed for a Musicman. Eventually got one and loved it. I then moved onto a 1977 Fender Precision simply because it sounded better than the Musicman. I have now changed to play with finger after 20 years playing with a pick and its been a bit of a stuggle. The musicman is ok but the neck is just too chunky for me these days. I also have a Lakland Duck Dunn Precision that come with a Jazz neck and its awsome but the sound is not right for the music I play these days. Sounds awsome with a pick though. The bass that feels the best and most comfortable for me with fingers is my old trusty ESP Jazz. So I am going to use that as my backup and get a Lakland Darryl Jones as my main gigging bass.

So a big thumbs up for the jazz bass.

No, you're not alone - I don't get along with thin necks. They can be either wide (P or wider, like my Les Paul bass) or chunky back to front (like the Rockbass Corvette I sold recently - Jazz width but chunky with it) but thin necks I don't like. I did have a Squier Jazz a few years ago but I just didn't take to it. I used to say that having the strings closer together meant my sausage fingered technique meant I touched the wrong strings more often, tweaked them with a nail or whatnot, but the Corvette proved that isn't the case. I guess I just like the feel of a substantial neck.

I really like a thin flat neck as found on the Duck Dunn bass. Is this known as a D shape neck? My Fender Jazz I had was a little thicker and curvier. Is this known as a C Shape? If so, whats a musicman and precision got and whats an A shape neck?

[quote name='Linus27' post='500732' date='May 29 2009, 10:48 AM']I really like a thin flat neck as found on the Duck Dunn bass. Is this known as a D shape neck? My Fender Jazz I had was a little thicker and curvier. Is this known as a C Shape? If so, whats a musicman and precision got and whats an A shape neck?[/quote]

The letter designations, as used by Fender, refer to the width at the nut, not the shape of the neck. An A-neck is one and one-half inches, a B-neck one and five-eighths inches, and a C-neck one and three-quarter inches. I've never heard of a D-neck Fender. For shape, literal descriptions have always been used by Fender, hence "U shape", "Soft V", "Hard V", "Oval", with additional information such as "ridge-edge" and "round-over" to describe the qualities of the shoulder.

Edited by noelk27

I am happy i am not the only one i have this problem. And particular in my Gretsch bass the neck on the back not the fingerboard is to D shape like jazz and my thumb to my index finger in my left hand is hurting badly i cant even play it at all. The same happen to me when i played with jazz..

[quote name='noelk27' post='500764' date='May 29 2009, 12:11 PM']The letter designations, as used by Fender, refer to the width at the nut, not the shape of the neck. An A-neck is one and one-half inches, a B-neck one and five-eighths inches, and a C-neck one and three-quarter inches. I've never heard of a D-neck Fender. For shape, literal descriptions have always been used by Fender, hence "U shape", "Soft V", "Hard V", "Oval", with additional information such as "ridge-edge" and "round-over" to describe the qualities of the shoulder.[/quote]

Ah ok, thanks for that, you learn something new everyday. I'm still waiting to learn that keira Knightley really fancies me but so far its taking a while. I can't wait though :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='500820' date='May 29 2009, 02:43 PM']Ah ok, thanks for that, you learn something new everyday. I'm still waiting to learn that keira Knightley really fancies me but so far its taking a while. I can't wait though :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

too skiny m8 too skiny where is the booty? :D

I like Jazz necks, but not Jazz bodies or pickups.

[quote name='Clarky' post='500629' date='May 29 2009, 09:59 AM']I just sold a 2009 MIA Jazz (at a big loss :) ) as it didn't feel right to me. I am a P-bass devotee and the narrow neck and body shape of the Jazz didn't sit right with me either[/quote]

I`ve just went the other way! Started off with a crap jazz and moved onto p basses and lately a G&L which I just punted. I am going to take a large hit on the P but I prefer the jazz neck and the shape.
I have just aquired a Mex classic 60`s model in olympic white and tortise-shell pickgaurd. Let`s hope that I`m satisfied now as the credit card cant take much more!

Jez