Why become a member? ×

Portable but Versitile

AdamWoodBass

Ok so it's another one of those threads but I need some proper advice. My rig is just not working for me, its not that its a crap rig (far from it, its a bloody great rig) but its just not my thing. I tried selling on here but nobody was interested so I'll probably end up trading it against something which better suits me. I'm playing mainly jazz and funk but I am getting involved in some other projects along the rock and pop circuit. I need a rig which is nice and compact for storage, light enough to not hospitalise me after lifting it out of my car and with enough head room to do medium to large concerts as well as you're run of the mill bar/restaurant gigs. I won't have mega bucks to spend on it so I'll set a budget of say £1500ish. I'm more or less exclusively playing 4 and 5 string jazz basses now and I like to have a kind of punchy defined sound but with a nice 60hz thud to it. I don't mind doing a bit of switching for tones as I do go between slap and fingerstyle quite a lot so footpedals are no problem.

I'm thinking Mark Bass as I've used their stuff before and loved it but I'm wondering if there's maybe an avenue I've not explored yet. If you know what that avenue is shout up and tell me why you recomend it!

As always much appreciated guys!

Ad

U said it.... Mark Bass! Especially now... there may be some LMII's comin up 4 sale. I got a LMII & it never ceases to amaze me. I'm an ALL TUBE guy- favouring my V4BH or SVTII whenever I can, but sometimes I just take the LMII & a cuppla 1x12"s for easiness & WOW the sound is powerful, LOUD & VERSATILE!!! Even the LMII thru the Big Berg 2x15 cab is superb, add a good Bass OD(VT-Bass, Bass Big Muff, Russian Big Muff, Bad Monkey... etc..) U got a Growling monster!!! Hard to beat IMO.
re cabs- I use Berg AE112 & Aguilar GS112, or the Berg NV's. I'd RATHER 2 AE112's, but $$$ isn't forthcoming atm..... Any 2x12" would no doubt sound great w/ Mark Bass LMII- 2x112's would be MY choice-as U can simply take ONE for small gigs!

Really the LMII's are that powerful? Ok well there's some food for thought, how come different cabs though? Are Bergantino decidedly that much better than Mark Bass? To be honest the rig I've been thinking of getting was the Mini CMD 112 Combo thing with a 1x12 traveller cab. I'm guessing this is gonna be a pretty decent rig and even if I take the extension cab its not gonna over crowd a cramped restaurant gig. I'd like to try a bergantino cab though, were abouts in the UK sells them?

LM amps are rated at 500 watt into 4 ohm. They are loud with loads of tone and a lot of people like them. There's not so much love for the MB cabs though. In my opinion, as I have 2 of them, Bergantno cabs are the best I've ever used and they work well with Markbass amps. You can hear them at Bass Direct, which is near Warwick. I think there are a few Bergantino rigs near you, up north, so you might be able to hear them live.

Aguilar GS and DB cabs get good reports but they are not neo. Other neo cabs which get good reports are Epifani, GK, EBS and Barefaced.

Ok well I've used GK cabs and I wasn't too keen on them, they just didn't sound as good as some of the other stuff in the same price range. Never tried Epi, Barefaced or EBS so I might have to check those out too and I'm really interested in the Berantino's. I read a review about them years ago in Bassplayer mag and they loved them and they seem to get a really good reception from most bass players I talk to. Perhaps a trip down south might be in order to check them out.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='494052' date='May 21 2009, 11:14 AM']Ok well I've used GK cabs and I wasn't too keen on them, they just didn't sound as good as some of the other stuff in the same price range. Never tried Epi, Barefaced or EBS so I might have to check those out too and I'm really interested in the Berantino's. I read a review about them years ago in Bassplayer mag and they loved them and they seem to get a really good reception from most bass players I talk to. Perhaps a trip down south might be in order to check them out.[/quote]

If you're ever in London you can try my Barefaced Compact paired with GK1001RB II. Sounds very nice :)

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='494052' date='May 21 2009, 11:14 AM']Never tried Epi, Barefaced or EBS so I might have to check those out too and I'm really interested in the Berantino's. I read a review about them years ago in Bassplayer mag and they loved them and they seem to get a really good reception from most bass players I talk to. Perhaps a trip down south might be in order to check them out.[/quote]

My Barefaced cabs are a very long way south as I'm in Brighton, however there a few owners up in the North West so if you keep your ears peeled you might hear one! :)

Alex

[quote name='JackLondon' post='494102' date='May 21 2009, 11:56 AM']If you're ever in London you can try my Barefaced Compact paired with GK1001RB II. Sounds very nice :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just had an email from Steve after he tried your rig: "Two words would sum it up, and they rhyme with "clucking bell". I am seriously impressed, especially with the weight - I'd be very happy taking that on the tube with a MarkBass and my bass ... Can't believe the response out of a single direct radiating 15" driver ... Bloody awesome stuff."

I think he liked it! :)

Alex

Looking forward to my Compact arriving later this month.

But to stay on topic, I'll add my approval of the LMII. I've had one for a few years and a 121 combo which has the same amp.

Perhaps interestingly to the OP, I decided to buy a Compact before buying the traveller 121 extension cab because I reckon it will sound better all round. OK, the Compact is bigger than the MB 121 cab but the weight is only a couple of pounds more!!

Alex... I'm not giving up my place in the queue this month. haha.

Frank

I'll add to the LMII love. Mine was £390 off the marketplace here and it's proved invaluable. It's very loud and warm when cranked yet can also be clean and hifi. Extremely versatile too with a comprehensive eq and the two shape dials.

To me it's got everything a bass amp needs with no fuss, every control does something useful. The fact it's tiny, weighs nothing and is relatively cheap is merely a bonus.

Plus if you ever want to stick it in a case the £10 jobbies from B&Q are great

It is a great head for my Schroeder cab plus i can get my bass, cab, head and lead bag to the gig in one trip

I'm in the position where I don't think I can get any better sound than I have at present.

My Genz Shuttle 6.0 and Schroeder 1212L sound fantastic, can go loud as hell and I can carry both of them and my bass in one trip.

I would really like to try a Compact though but don't think that there's anyone around my way with one.

Right well I'm definately feeling the love for the LMII so I think thats that bit solved. Actually I love the idea of having a tiny little amp that I can fit in a gig bag but it'll stand up to most gigs and because I've used Mark Bass stuff before I know it suits my needs. I think I need to spend some time looking at cabs now then. Thanks for all the advice guys hopefully soon I'll have a nice new rig to show off!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='494109' date='May 21 2009, 12:00 PM']Just had an email from Steve after he tried your rig: "Two words would sum it up, and they rhyme with "clucking bell". I am seriously impressed, especially with the weight - I'd be very happy taking that on the tube with a MarkBass and my bass ... Can't believe the response out of a single direct radiating 15" driver ... Bloody awesome stuff."

I think he liked it! :)

Alex[/quote]
I think you might be right. he's been on about it over at Finnbass too.. And a well deserved accolade it is, for the Compact is a very fine cab (do I get one free now?!) :rolleyes:

[quote name='machinehead' post='494158' date='May 21 2009, 12:43 PM']Alex... I'm not giving up my place in the queue this month. haha.[/quote]

I wouldn't dream of it! But doesn't it make you feel great knowing that Mr London is so happy? :) (Not sure about his neighbours though...)

Alex

First, I'm a bit surprised that you're thinking of a change - I had a listen the The Chicken and loved your bass tone on the recording (and the playing, some really tasty, groovy stuff in there). If the rig has to go though, it might be worth a look at Epi cabs (and amps unless you're really set on a MB). I've only really got experience of Epi from the brands you list (though I did try my 502 against a LMII recently and whilst both were good, I preferred the Epi by some distance). For £1500, you'd certainly find an excellent used ul502 and a ul310 (or ul410 - I've seen Flankers for sale on here now!) - I think this could suit - it's a light, powerful, compact and very versatile rig. The problem with Epi is it's not easy to try without travelling - the only dealer I know in the UK is the Gallery.

Yo - Adam , long time , no waffle etc.

There's a Phil Jones suitcase in the classifieds. Might be worth a look. I've never tried one live but based the try outs I've had I'd happily use one. Ext cab left at home for the intimate's - maybe.

I think you found , like me , that the GK micro's were a little underpowered but I know you were a fan of the sound. The MB2 is around now , I think. More bang for your buck in a tiny box but I haven't even seen one yet.

[quote name='lozbass' post='495183' date='May 22 2009, 02:07 PM']First, I'm a bit surprised that you're thinking of a change - I had a listen the The Chicken and loved your bass tone on the recording (and the playing, some really tasty, groovy stuff in there). If the rig has to go though, it might be worth a look at Epi cabs (and amps unless you're really set on a MB). I've only really got experience of Epi from the brands you list (though I did try my 502 against a LMII recently and whilst both were good, I preferred the Epi by some distance). For £1500, you'd certainly find an excellent used ul502 and a ul310 (or ul410 - I've seen Flankers for sale on here now!) - I think this could suit - it's a light, powerful, compact and very versatile rig. The problem with Epi is it's not easy to try without travelling - the only dealer I know in the UK is the Gallery.[/quote]

Actually I wasn't using a rig there! That was just the bass straight into a PA! And thats my point, I've got this rig and as soon as I go along to play with a house band I don't use it cos of the pain in the arse of getting it there! I've thought about the epi stuff but I've heard some horror stories of them being so crisp and clear that they sound way too clinical (and more importantly highlight every tiny little mistake you make!) It wouldn't hurt to give em a try though. Tbh I'm about due a visit to dear old London as I've got loads of mates there I haven't seen for ages so I suppose popping to the gallery for a shufty would be on the cards.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='495501' date='May 22 2009, 07:32 PM']Yo - Adam , long time , no waffle etc.

There's a Phil Jones suitcase in the classifieds. Might be worth a look. I've never tried one live but based the try outs I've had I'd happily use one. Ext cab left at home for the intimate's - maybe.

I think you found , like me , that the GK micro's were a little underpowered but I know you were a fan of the sound. The MB2 is around now , I think. More bang for your buck in a tiny box but I haven't even seen one yet.[/quote]

Hey Dave! Indeed its been a few moons! Yeah that was a real pain with those, they were fantastic little amps but just not loud enough. I've tried the Phil Jones stuff actually and yeah I was dead impressed by the volume of the thing for something so small but there was just something about it that I didn't like but I can't put my finger on what it was. It just sounded a bit er... strange! :)

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='496109' date='May 23 2009, 04:09 PM']Actually I wasn't using a rig there! That was just the bass straight into a PA![/quote]

Wow, probably an idea to just buy the bands PA then - it sounds really tight on the recording!

Re: Epi, I find it very clean, clear and transparent as you suggest - it's also very responsive and articulate so will reveal any mistakes/glitches in playing (but trust me, that's a bigger issue for me than it is for you!) If you're in London, it's certainly worth a try at the Gallery (and I think Alex could assemble a few different Epi rigs for you to try - the Gallery had a good selection of cabs last time I was in there)

Although I use a Markbass 103H combo which I'm happy with as it sounds great and is seriously light, I keep drifting back toward thinking about another Eden. There's a Metro and 2x10 ext cab on the forum (or was a couple of days ago) for next to nothing. That's a pro rig. I sort of miss mine a bit.

[quote name='Flanker' post='496113' date='May 23 2009, 04:16 PM']Before you buy Markbass check out Tecamp gear at Bassmerchant.

I've owned both.[/quote]

Hello there fella!

Hope you are well!

Just to add to the OP, I'd stick with what sounds best to you - try as many rigs as you can; I swear by Markbass as I've not really found anything else that I like for the money and weight! I'd like to have a look at one of these new fangled Barefaced cabs at some point!