Why become a member? ×

There's no ZING in my strings.

AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='493126' date='May 20 2009, 11:36 AM']Thanks for the tip.

I think as I get older, I sweat (sorry, glow) more! Haha.

Now this has changed my reasoning about gig clothes - let me give you an example. On a recent gig, I ended up mega sweaty as usual, flat out punk bass gigs tend to do that plus if you're a natural sweat-machine, well, it's ten fold. Anyway so I got mega sweaty, ended up extremely pissed and woke up on a random sofa, having slept in said sweaty clothes, overall situation normal, that top then went in the washing basket, anyway it came to the next gig and...shameful confession time, I thought f*ck it, I'm not getting a clean top sweaty, so I got the previous rancid one out of the basket, put it back on and played in it again!

The plus point of this is you can dodge buying a round all night cos no one wants to get near you to challenge your skinflint ways.

HAHAHAHA!!!! :)

I think we should have a poll - how many gigs in a row, have you played in the same, stinky, sweaty, damp old threads. Haha.[/quote]

ha ha

2 minutes in I'm "glowing" like billy-oh on most gigs.

My previous gigging suit jacket came from a chariteeee shop and lasted about 15 years without cleaning before it mysteriously shrunk over 6 months or so and had to be replaced with a bigger one (now 5 years old, 15 suited gigs per year ...)
I wash the shirts each time though ..

I've started to catch a wiff of "glow" off my bass strap now though ...

We did once make shirts with writing all over them with marker pen, and we were too scared to wash them, so I wore mine for around 6 gigs with no washes, but only for the 40 minutes we were on stage at each gig, and I still thought it was rank.

[quote name='misrule' post='492993' date='May 20 2009, 09:34 AM']The last time I took my bass for a set-up (with Chris McIntyre in Peckham) he told me to bend DR strings into a 90-degree angle then cut them past the bend. He claims they sound dead if you cut them straight.

This may help you -- or it may be utter nonsense. :) But I now do it religiously.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

I fail to see how this would affect the tone of the strings. You're talking about how you cut the strings before inserting them into the tuning peg, right?

I destroy strings.

In minutes.... :rolleyes:

I think I probably sweat unfermented nitromorse or horse s**t or something :D

Rotosounds I can kill completely in half an hour :)

I currently use the tried and tested denatured alcolhol (methylated spirits) tube. One set on bass, one set in tube. Rotate as required. (Every gig/recording at least)

Thats with DR strings. Nothing else feels right and sounds as good and lasts as long for me. Shame they aren't cheap too.

I always kink the strings before cutting. Thats how I was taught when working in a proper old school music shop (by a luthier).

Remember when fitting strings to make sure that the length of string after the initial kink is such that the string winds around the peg getting closer to the headstock the more times it winds (ie its longer rather than shorter). In that way the break angle over the nut is increased the more turns. Restringing a bass is a skill not to be underestimated IMO.

I wipe down my basses after playing with a microfibre cloth, taking care to get the neck and strings thoroughly clean.

My strings never go black.

My tone is now consistent. It zings on my 4, and less on my 5 - but thats the nature of the basses. They both sound great :lol:

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='AM1' post='493121' date='May 20 2009, 11:30 AM']Another interesting one, because my main gig bass is never really in the case unless it's travelling. Maybe if it was, I would be able to walk past it without picking it up and noodling! :)

Will keeping it in the case prolong the string life? If so, why?[/quote]

Basically, keeping it in the case will keep its temperature stabler than outside of the case. Shifts in temperature cause humidity in the air to concentrate (hence condensation). Water + strings = oxidation. It won't be as visible as it would be on the side of a glass of iced coke, for instance, but it'll be there for sure if you leave it out of its case.

Plus the material that the padding in cases is made out of is generally good at absorbing ambient moisture and keeping the instrument dry.

[quote name='misrule' post='492993' date='May 20 2009, 09:34 AM']The last time I took my bass for a set-up (with Chris McIntyre in Peckham) he told me to bend DR strings into a 90-degree angle then cut them past the bend. He claims they sound dead if you cut them straight.[/quote]

The packet actually says to crimp them at 'at least a 45 degree angle' before cutting them. It says they have an 'anchor' built into the string or some such (I don't have a Hi-Beam packet kicking around right now). I guess this is similar to the bending thing.

[quote name='AM1' post='493126' date='May 20 2009, 11:36 AM']so I got the previous rancid one out of the basket, put it back on and played in it again![/quote]
Minging.

Edit: never mind your strings going off, I'm surprised you haven't disolved the glue holding your basses together.

Edited by Eight

On the delightful subject of being a sweaty gooey lump at a gig. I used to regularly be able to literally wring out might T-shirts like a drenched towel after a gig. On several occasions the offending T would be chucked into a bag until next gig.

At one point we had a few one off T-Shirts painted up, which effectively couldn't be washed. I wore one for a gig every couple of weeks for over a year until it disintegrated. In between gigs it went back in the bag. It never ever got a wash. Was really really fruity before it fell apart though :) Got me well in the mood for going mental on stage. This was a very long time ago however!

I was a m*nger, I admit it :rolleyes:

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='493295' date='May 20 2009, 02:33 PM']On the delightful subject of being a sweaty gooey lump at a gig. I used to regularly be able to literally wring out might T-shirts like a drenched towel after a gig. On several occasions the offending T would be chucked into a bag until next gig.

At one point we had a few one off T-Shirts painted up, which effectively couldn't be washed. I wore one for a gig every couple of weeks for over a year until it disintegrated. In between gigs it went back in the bag. It never ever got a wash. Was really really fruity before it fell apart though :) Got me well in the mood for going mental on stage. This was a very long time ago however!

I was a m*nger, I admit it :lol:[/quote]

A fellow honker! :rolleyes:

A year! Respect, you minging, stinking, rotten, rancid sweaty! :D

I bet you smelled like a rotting corpse inhabited by skunks.

Clean clothes for gigs are over-rated anyway, it's just not befitting to punk rawk to be putting on clean attire to play in.

From reading the first couple of posts it sounded like you're a dirty sweaty girl! Just my type (damn I'm getting married) :rolleyes:

Try spraying your strings with WD40 & wiping them down, it smells good too...

P.S. I don't sweat, I glow like Sellafield :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='493317' date='May 20 2009, 02:56 PM']From reading the first couple of posts it sounded like you're a dirty sweaty girl! Just my type (damn I'm getting married) :lol:

Try spraying your strings with WD40 & wiping them down, it smells good too...

P.S. I don't sweat, I glow like Sellafield :)[/quote]

A charge I cannot deny, your honour!

To be fair, my car smells worse, with stinking old dive gear and bits of crap off the sea bed.

I think I can safely rule marriage out :rolleyes:

[quote name='AM1' post='493310' date='May 20 2009, 02:51 PM']A fellow honker! :rolleyes:

A year! Respect, you minging, stinking, rotten, rancid sweaty! :lol:

[b]I bet you smelled like a rotting corpse inhabited by skunks. [/b]

Clean clothes for gigs are over-rated anyway, it's just not befitting to punk rawk to be putting on clean attire to play in.[/quote]

In that particular T shirt I did.

Mind you - our percussionist was a lot worse than me :)

[quote name='Eight' post='493343' date='May 20 2009, 03:19 PM']Then do the same on yourself AM. :)

Dirty dirty people.[/quote]

She wont do that, WD40 and other oil based lubricants degrade rubber, and we all know she lives in a wetsuit.....

[quote name='Eight' post='493343' date='May 20 2009, 03:19 PM']Then do the same on yourself AM. :rolleyes:

Dirty dirty people.[/quote]

Ha.

I just enjoy being generally a sweaty, rancid m*nger. I can't explain it.

You haven't even heard yet how many sweaty rehearsals I've done in the same t-shirt.

It is "The practice t-shirt".

Hehehe!

I am sure Simon has a few confessions to make in this arena too :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='493137' date='May 20 2009, 11:54 AM']ha ha

2 minutes in I'm "glowing" like billy-oh on most gigs.

My previous gigging suit jacket came from a chariteeee shop and lasted about 15 years without cleaning before it mysteriously shrunk over 6 months or so and had to be replaced with a bigger one (now 5 years old, 15 suited gigs per year ...)
I wash the shirts each time though ..

I've started to catch a wiff of "glow" off my bass strap now though ...[/quote]

I think you are winning so far, you disgusting filth-meister.

Get some WD40 in about yourself!

:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='493344' date='May 20 2009, 03:21 PM']She wont do that, WD40 and other oil based lubricants degrade rubber, and we all know she lives in a wetsuit.....[/quote]

Haha, I only dive so I can keep rubber suits in the car!

Bring out the gimp!

:)