Why become a member? ×

There's no ZING in my strings.

AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='493356' date='May 20 2009, 03:33 PM']Haha, I only dive so I can keep rubber suits in the car!

Bring out the gimp!

:)[/quote]

I keep mine on top of the wardrobe in my bedroom... perhaps I need to migrate them to the the car...

[quote name='AM1' post='493356' date='May 20 2009, 03:33 PM']Haha, I only dive so I can keep rubber suits in the car!

Bring out the gimp!

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Bwahahahhahhaaa!!

There is a very rude comment about fishy smells in there too, but I'll leave it with the gimp suit (in the car) :lol:

You're not on RateMyGASMask.com are you?? :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='493357' date='May 20 2009, 03:35 PM']Ha - bass strap glow... Neoprene straps are the worst for that (anything like Neotech or ComfortStrapps...).

They proper hold the ming.[/quote]

They do that - "I love the smell of neoprene early in the morning!"

[quote name='51m0n' post='493363' date='May 20 2009, 03:43 PM']They do that - "I love the smell of neoprene early in the morning!"[/quote]

I do have a neoprene drysuit, which has seen more that it's fair share of sea action, it has been dived in 4 degree water with heated biker jacket/battery combo under it and all manner of weird undersuit materials, causing immense sweating inside it sometimes when gearing up. Words cannot describe what that suit smells like though! Rancid is a compliment!

I think I better bulk buy some strings soon!

Edited by AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='493370' date='May 20 2009, 03:47 PM']I think I better bulk buy some strings soon![/quote]

In all seriousness I'd really recommend the tube of meths for string cleaning, and if it doesnt work out you can always use it as a poor mans pipe bomb....

I havent bought strings for my 4 string in over a year, and it still sounds zingy enough with the strings from the tube.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='493180' date='May 20 2009, 12:29 PM']I fail to see how this would affect the tone of the strings. You're talking about how you cut the strings before inserting them into the tuning peg, right?[/quote]
Yup. The set-up man, Chris McIntyre, claimed blurb on the packs told you to do it that way -- though I've yet to find any.

I don't see the logic, either. But I follow his advice and they seem to last a fair while.

Cheers

Mark

Where is the bass stored between playing?

I sweat like a glass blowers arse during gigs, and my strings last me months rather than weeks, and I don't clean them. I just wondered if the bass was stored in a high humidity area, or somewhere cold/damp?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='493434' date='May 20 2009, 04:42 PM']Sorry. What did I miss...? I was away with the kleenex...[/quote]

Fortunately it was only coffee all over my keyboard at that, what with being at work and all! :)

Edited by 51m0n

You really are a bunch of freaks :rolleyes:

Now I know where I was going wrong before, with that shower and perfume malarky! All this making an effort nonsense is clearly over-rated. Mehe.

It IS a true fact though that you always pull when at your absolute dog-roughest! :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='493479' date='May 20 2009, 05:15 PM']But what and at what cost to your dignity?

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, the old punching below your weight argument does have to be considered, that's why the words sorry, you're just not my type were invented!

Make your sweaty excuses and run, I say! It all leads to hassle!

:)

Simon, you are in no position to speak of dignity after confessing to wearing the same gigging t-shirt for a year!

Speaking of dignity, you still have not told us if you wear fresh clothes to every rehearsal :lol:

I can't wait for this!

Edited by AM1

[quote name='Rayman' post='493403' date='May 20 2009, 04:23 PM']Where is the bass stored between playing?

I sweat like a glass blowers arse during gigs, and my strings last me months rather than weeks, and I don't clean them. I just wondered if the bass was stored in a high humidity area, or somewhere cold/damp?[/quote]

To be fair, it's only my gig bass that isn't stored in a case, the ones that are cased have been the same with strings dying quickly.

It just seems unbelievable that strings can die in a matter of weeks and go black!

What's this methylated tube business then, I've seen a bit about it but need more detail!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='493434' date='May 20 2009, 04:42 PM']Sorry. What did I miss...? I was away with the kleenex...[/quote]

Since you've lowered the tone (well you are almost a Stokie!) - I have to ask, why are you pretending here that you don't use a w@nk-sock!!

Blokes have NO secrets, we know them all!

At rehearsals I end up wearing whatever I've been wearing all day (generally not a gimp suit or gas mask then).

I figure it like this, I am definitely going to get as sweaty as a Dutch posing pouch, so why bother changing anything. I sometimes wish I had done something more clever come the end of the rehearsal as I slide off home, just me and my clothes soaked in 20 gallons of slimey sweatiness. Having said that I do enjoy that first break in a rehearsal, when you take your bass off and your T-shirt is glued to your back with sweat, kind of tells you you've been doing something worth while!

Strangely for all I sweat a lot by all accounts its never very smelly (or so I have been told), and my feet never smell at all. Nope, no fungus either.

I dont think I've ever had a reheasal top, however I have a DIY T-shirt with a picture of the pyramids and the legend 'Slavery, gets s**t done' underneath. Which really does get me in the correct mood for D-I-stinking-Y, which I loathe :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I hate DIY to such an extent that it is a pathetically excellent state of repair :)

[quote name='AM1' post='493501' date='May 20 2009, 05:33 PM']What's this methylated tube business then, I've seen a bit about it but need more detail![/quote]

Here is a pretty good version:-

[url="http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html"]String Cleaning Tube[/url]

[quote name='AM1' post='493504' date='May 20 2009, 05:35 PM']Since you've lowered the tone (well you are almost a Stokie!) - I have to ask, why are you pretending here that you don't use a w@nk-sock!!

Blokes have NO secrets, we know them all![/quote]

Errrr "w@nk-sock", you gotta be sh**ing me!

What is this "w@nk-sock" to which you refer????

(BBC prefers two pieces of liver and a radiator I've heard)

[quote name='ARGH' post='492934' date='May 20 2009, 07:50 AM']Simple solutions.....Boil strings,does return the zing...but its a hassle taking them on/off,getting the pan..water...and towel drying then leaving to dry properly....[/quote]

Hell yeah! For 2 years when I had but £160 a month to my name I kept my tone doing this...they begun to stink a bit after a while...that old metal smell would cling to my fingers bad!
But it WORKED! and I still don't know how...

Oh but this is also best done on strings without silk...Red turns pink and eventually white and Blue / Green / Purple...well you get the picture.

[quote name='Kongo' post='493519' date='May 20 2009, 05:51 PM']Hell yeah! For 2 years when I had but £160 a month to my name I kept my tone doing this...they begun to stink a bit after a while...that old metal smell would cling to my fingers bad!
But it WORKED! and I still don't know how...

Oh but this is also best done on strings without silk...Red turns pink and eventually white and Blue / Green / Purple...well you get the picture.[/quote]

Whilst I used to boil strings, the temperature change, water, whatever does definitely weaken them as well as clean them.

I used to get by by doing this but suffer more and more breakages as strings went through the cycle. And I play soft like a babies behind compared to most.

Since using the DRs and the tube I haven't had any breakages (yet) and the strings on my 4 banger are about a year old now.

Cant recommend it enough!

[quote name='51m0n' post='493527' date='May 20 2009, 05:55 PM']Whilst I used to boil strings, the temperature change, water, whatever does definitely weaken them as well as clean them.

I used to get by by doing this but suffer more and more breakages as strings went through the cycle. And I play soft like a babies behind compared to most.

Since using the DRs and the tube I haven't had any breakages (yet) and the strings on my 4 banger are about a year old now.

Cant recommend it enough![/quote]

Yes they do weaken...never broke them but they do get feeble feeling after a while...and build up a "film" in my experience.

OMG I missed your post about that string cleaner...that is worth looking into!!!
LOL LOVE this bit though!!!

[i]"Screw the tube closed and leave your denatured alcohol inside. If it’s closed, it won’t evaporate and it should work for many bass string cleanings to come. It'd be a good idea to mark the tube poison and keep it away from kids [b](and drummers)[/b]!"[/i]

LOL I could imagine it...The drummer looks...he see's...

*sounding like a neanderthal*
[i]Drum...Druuum?....[b]DRUM![/b][/i]
Then he bashes something and spills the contents everywhere!