Why become a member? ×

Loving my gear!!

51m0n

Just wanted to post to say I had a jam with someone last night, and for the first time in a fair while I got to fire up my rig in anger. I've been mainly recording for the last few months, and either used someone else's amps for a specific tone, or gone direct.

Damn my rig is fantastic :)

The Roscoe sounded utterly staggering, and was way easier to play than a 35" scale 5 string has any right to be. Haven't really tried it at gigging volumes, just for recording.

The Focusrite just 'worked' as a set it and forget it comp, I've not had a jam with the drummer in question before, and he was well up for some silly nonsense, so I got to show off with some tapping grooves (disgraceful I'm sure!), and the compounder did exactly what I got it to do, brought the level of tapping up to that of fingerstyle and slapping, without me breaking my fingers. All the while being really transparent.

The Berg ae410 / MB sa450 combination is superb, we were jamming in his studio which has a not overly large but very comfortable live room which has been acoustically treated so as to be really useable for recording - nice home made bass traps and diffusers etc. After the first five minutes the drummer was just blown away by the fantastic sound of my rig, and to be honest so was I :rolleyes: Its bl00dy brill! Absolute tone nirvana for me, its just so punchy, without being too bright, or too dark, and this is with pretty old strings.

Sorry to rant on about this, but I couldn't resist :lol:

The MB/Berg combination is phenomenal - I've been over the moon with mine and have no desire to change. Can't say the same for the Roscoe I have. Nothing wrong just doesn't give me the zingy goodness the Spectors do.

Glad you're happy with your rig - let's hope you have many happy years with it :)

funnily enough i was well pleased with my sound the other night too - even though its my trusty old rig i've had for ages. Difference was I D.I.ed thru the PA and we had a Peavey sub bass booster rack mount thing running which gave the low notes an octaver kind of effect. Sounded well good especially with the Attitudes Humbucker cranked up!!!

parp!

c

[quote name='Sean' post='492314' date='May 19 2009, 01:25 PM']The MB/Berg combination is phenomenal - I've been over the moon with mine and have no desire to change. Can't say the same for the Roscoe I have. Nothing wrong just doesn't give me the zingy goodness the Spectors do.

Glad you're happy with your rig - let's hope you have many happy years with it :rolleyes:[/quote]

What Roscoe have you got?

I'd not call my Roscoe zingy at all. Its a very woody tone IMO, love it to bits. Pops have a real visceral punch to them that really harks back to good ole' funkiness for me. But its too refined a tone to ever be confused with an old workhorse Fender with tapewounds or dead strings for instance.

My old 4 banger with the EMGs does all the zingy I'll ever need though :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='492394' date='May 19 2009, 02:36 PM']So nice to hear good news ..

I never get the chance to crank my MB/Berg rig .. It's always on about 1 :)[/quote]

By 'crank up' I mean get the master up to about 9 O'clock. That is easily enough to be mixed correctly with a drummer who is hitting drums with authority (ie not holding back, but not being an animal).

Any more than that and it is too loud for the drums; we were both wearing ear plugs (always do), but at one point I did slip mine out for a minute, and it was properly loud all the same :rolleyes:

I'll join in here too.

Bergantino cabs just get the job done! Two of my bands love them so much they have asked me to bring the Bergs instead of the Epifani! I use mine with the Thunderfunk and smile inside every time I hit a low note and hold it. It's a magic combination and, while I would buy another AE210 or AE410 if they came up, this could easily be the last gear I buy!!

I just wish this gear was around 20 years ago! It really is a [i]good[/i] time to be a bass player.

Glad to hear the bergs are working out :-) im really tempted to go for an AE410 with my DB750 but might have to go for the SWR golight 4x10 which is only £759 at the bass gallery...saying that, if the AE series is really that good!

must not spend money, must not spend! :-)

I have to say, on Saturday I gigged my Status Retroactive thru the Hartke LH500 and Trace 1518 and absolutely loved the sound, really looking forward to the next gig with it :)

All I have to think now is, if/when I can sell the Trace cabs and get the Barefaced Compact, what a perfect sound I will get :rolleyes:

Loving mine too, though it has taken a few changes to get here. I played with this last night but with my Glockenklang Double cab instead, because it's easier to get to rehearsals and the Tech cab is awaiting a new tweeter.
I can hear and feel what I'm playing and the tone is just great.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='51m0n' post='492312' date='May 19 2009, 01:21 PM']Just wanted to post to say I had a jam with someone last night, and for the first time in a fair while I got to fire up my rig in anger. I've been mainly recording for the last few months, and either used someone else's amps for a specific tone, or gone direct.

Damn my rig is fantastic :)

The Roscoe sounded utterly staggering, and was way easier to play than a 35" scale 5 string has any right to be. Haven't really tried it at gigging volumes, just for recording.

The Focusrite just 'worked' as a set it and forget it comp, I've not had a jam with the drummer in question before, and he was well up for some silly nonsense, so I got to show off with some tapping grooves (disgraceful I'm sure!), and the compounder did exactly what I got it to do, brought the level of tapping up to that of fingerstyle and slapping, without me breaking my fingers. All the while being really transparent.

The Berg ae410 / MB sa450 combination is superb, we were jamming in his studio which has a not overly large but very comfortable live room which has been acoustically treated so as to be really useable for recording - nice home made bass traps and diffusers etc. After the first five minutes the drummer was just blown away by the fantastic sound of my rig, and to be honest so was I :rolleyes: Its bl00dy brill! Absolute tone nirvana for me, its just so punchy, without being too bright, or too dark, and this is with pretty old strings.

Sorry to rant on about this, but I couldn't resist :lol:[/quote]

It's great when your rig works how you want it and you just scream "MY GOD!!! That's the tone I've always dreamed of"...then next week it's gone either due to a different room or another variable.

I hope your tone stays true.

[quote name='51m0n' post='493196' date='May 20 2009, 12:48 PM']Cheers, Ragnarok is a great name for a bass :)[/quote]

Ragnarok is on the left. :rolleyes:
It's a fitting name I though.
*picture is old*

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='492876' date='May 20 2009, 12:52 AM']It's great when your rig works how you want it and you just scream "MY GOD!!! That's the tone I've always dreamed of"...then next week it's gone either due to a different room or another variable.

I hope your tone stays true.[/quote]

That's such a good point. I had a personal "MY GOD...!!" moment last week, and my rig is nothing to write home about, 200 quids worth of second hand Hartke, but I was so happy I thought to myself "why would I ever consider spending big money on anything else when this rig can sound this good?" (It's amazing how a great sound also changes the way you play, makes you do stuff you haven't gone for before..). Then the next night it was gone! And the flipside is, you know if you do spend big bucks on a mega rig there are gonna be plenty of occasions when it doesn't do it for you due to the acoustics of the stage/room.

Having said that, I still want a Berg!