Why become a member? ×

Tuner Upgrade Advice

Hi gents 

just looking for a bit of advice, I've got a squier affinity PJ bass that i essentially have as a back up don't play it much and i want to do some minor upgrades to make it more playable, firstly i'd like to fit new tuners as the ones on it are basic to say the least , preferably lightweight ones but if I'm honest I know little about the best options , would appreciate a bit of advice on the best options out there from you knowledgeable people. 

Thanks Steve 

Hipshot Ultralites are good. Not cheap at about £130 a set but def an improvement over pretty much any stock tuners.

Hipshot are great at customer service so e-Mail them with a photo of front & rear of the headstock of the bass and they advise which of their products will fit.

• Like 1

If it's Hipshots you want, but balk at the price, Licenced Hipshots are cheaper and only slightly heavier.  Just make sure you order the correct ones because, unlike their USA made counterparts, they're not reversible.

• Like 1

Before you spends ya money...

Go for a clean,

Strings off and a dab of copper slip on the worm gears and a good twisting to clear any plating flashing, dismantle a rub over with wire wool, then a clean with isoprope...

plus a clean and inspection of the steel spring shim and plastic bushing to ensure fit can make the world of difference!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No disrespect to an Affinity (I used to have one) but thats an expensive upgrade compared to the cost of the bass itself. Tuners aren't going to make the bass more playable unless it has massive neck dive. (good strap usually does help). Tuners are basic by their nature. As long as the bass stays in tune.?  I have a Gear for Music £120 P bass and the tuners rarely go out of tune..

If your going to upgrade anything on an Affinity I would spend the money on pickups. Or take it to a tech and have a conversation about what what you do and dont like about the instrument.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

First things first:

• Take one of the existing tuners off and weigh it. If there's a bushing that's pressed into the hole, don't try to remove that as well - you may be able to re-use it for the new tuners, which reduces the chance of tearing out any wood
  • Measure the hole in the headstock (and the bushing, if there is one)
  • Decide whether you want drop-in replacements, or you're happy to drill pilot holes for new screw positions. These will need a tiny drill bit, probably 1.5mm or 2mm

With this info, you'll be able to get a much better idea of your options, including how much weight you'll actually save by putting in lightweight tuners

Edited by MartinB

Buy graph tec Ratio tuners. They have a different ratio for each string to make tuning more accurate. 

They will however cost 10 times more than the bass is worth but at least least you'll be super accurately in tune! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Buy graph tec Ratio tuners. They have a different ratio for each string to make tuning more accurate. 

They will however cost 10 times more than the bass is worth but at least least you'll be super accurately in tune! 

These ones?-

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/electric-bass-tuning-machines/graph-tech-bass-ratio-4-in-line-tuner-set-with-y-style-knobs/?&pref_currency=GBP&shipcalc=UK&mtm_source=google&mtm_medium=cpc&mtm_campaign=|+GOO+|+SHOP+|+NBR+|+AllProductsUK&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-CrzKX3hQMVmJJQBh2G9QPhEAQYBCABEgLKKfD_BwE

They seem reasonably priced. Never come across the idea of different ratio tuners. I dear it may be a bit of a gimmick but the idea intrigues me…….

7 hours ago, T-Bay said:

It’s not the hardest thing in the world to tune your bass accurately with standard tuners but the ratio ones definitely make it easier, especially on the E, plus they’re well made. 

• Thanks 1