Why become a member? ×

The bass model design that You hate with passion.

41 minutes ago, nilorius said:

You really had a chance to check out Yourself how Fodera single cut feels and sounds ? If it's true - You are a god damned luckey guy. I only saw them once in my nightmare, where Felix Pastorius played at London stadium Donna Lee solo !!!😜

I've not tried one but the sound isn't right for me so even if they feel incredible, I still wouldn't want one. I'd rather a Dingwall Combustion which is considerably cheaper 

4 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Fan Fretted Basses

Fan frets do look weird but they do actually have a purpose. Super low tunings with decent string tension without resorting to excessively thick strings. 

I'm not sure they'll be much use outside of metal. 

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Any fretless bass that has a lined fretboard

..everyone goes on about fret lines on a fretless and how superfluous they are ..but nothing about fingerboard dots and led lights on a regular fretted ..go figure. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

..everyone goes on about fret lines on a fretless and how superfluous they are ..but nothing about fingerboard dots and led lights on a regular fretted ..go figure. 

Fretlesses also have markers, whether they're lined or unlined. Go figure.

I prefer unlined but I'd rather have my lined fretless Sei than no fretless Sei.

On 15/04/2024 at 10:16, KingBollock said:

I really dislike the slightly stretched, drawn by a child, quality of Spector basses.

961F2234-92E6-476A-8306-1EDCDAB44F61.thumb.jpeg.be2dc187ecfc44b296c9f33efff55569.jpeg

That, sir, is a thing of beauty.  I love Spectors; I love the sound and love the look.  Just goes to show how different we all are, every time I see a NBD post and someone has bought a sunburst pre CBS P or jazz, there will be 20 or more likes and lots of posts gushing about it.  I just think they look ordinary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

That, sir, is a thing of beauty.  I love Spectors; I love the sound and love the look.  Just goes to show how different we all are, every time I see a NBD post and someone has bought a sunburst pre CBS P or jazz, there will be 20 or more likes and lots of posts gushing about it.  I just think they look ordinary.

My ultimate favourite shape is the BC Rich Warlock with the Widow headstock. My number one bass is a glossy black Warlock NT and I love it to bits.

I have an Aria Pro II Magna Series MAB 20/5, which is a fairly standard shape, and I hate it! It’s just dull dull dull. It plays and sounds great, though.

It's weird, in thinking about this I've realised that all my "likes" are the more tradition p-bass/jazz/stingray shapes, and the further a bass gets from these the less I like them. The Warwicks begin to look a bit stretched to me, and the single cut like the one above is maybe just about bearable, but major no to anything further away from that - violin basses, Ricks, pointy things...urgh!

Possible only exception is the electric stand-up basses that do look like a fret-board with a spike on the end, but the vertical orientation makes it perhaps OK.

Somebody got G&L headstock and Rickenbackers in fairly early on in the thread (the same person if memory serves correctly - you should come round to mine for a cup of tea and an ogle at my bass wall).  Headless basses followed shortly after.  I had to read through to this page (page 5 before) “lined fretless” appeared. So I now have a full house of “hated”, “disliked” or “just looks weird” basses. 😀. Bingo

And for extra bingo wings effect “dots in the same position on a fretless as they are on fretted” has also made an appearance.  But that’s on the same bass as my lined fretless.

Edited by Simon C

10 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Somebody got G&L headstock and Rickenbackers in fairly early on in the thread (the same person if memory serves correctly - you should come round to mine for a cup of tea and a look at my bass wall).  Headless basses followed shortly after.  I had to read through to this page (page 5 before) “lined fretless” appeared. So I now have a full house of “hated”, “disliked” or “just looks weird” basses. 😀. Bingo

And for extra bingo wings effect “dots in the same position on a fretless as they are on fretted” has also made an appearance.  But that’s on the same bass as my lined fretless.

P.S. A guitarist friend of mine played in a band where the bassist had a Ric.  18 months or so ago, I said to the guitarist friend  “Rickenbackers look weird and sound rubbish.”  Somehow I now own one (well not that much of mystery - I walked into Guitar Guitar with a credit card and bought it).  I think it looks great and sounds great.  Maybe this thread is about 18 months too late for me to fully participate.😀

Edited by Simon C
  • Haha 2

On 19/04/2024 at 19:38, tauzero said:

Fretlesses also have markers, whether they're lined or unlined. Go figure.

well taking the logic to its ultimate conclusion wouldn't that be all we really need regardless of fretless or fretted ..just the dots along the leading edge, everything else would presumably be decorative fluff? 

Bongos.

They look like an overdone, gaudy, tasteless, ostentatious 80s sports car designed by an LSD-fuelled lunatic in the grip of a psychotic episode, available only in a range of hideous, eye-scorching colours that scream of 'Dante meets Bosch in a crack lounge'.

Horrendous looking things. I'd absolutely love one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Bongos.

They look like an overdone, gaudy, tasteless, ostentatious 80s sports car designed by an LSD-fuelled lunatic in the grip of a psychotic episode, available only in a range of hideous, eye-scorching colours that scream of 'Dante meets Bosch in a crack lounge'.

apparently the inspiration came to ernie while sitting on the khazi. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Bongos.

If You mean Music Man Bongo - it really looks freaky !!!

8 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

well taking the logic to its ultimate conclusion wouldn't that be all we really need regardless of fretless or fretted ..just the dots along the leading edge, everything else would presumably be decorative fluff? 

Yes, but for some reason lined fretlesses are popular. It seems strange, you hardly ever see training wheels on bicycles, but manufacturers make most fretlesses lined, and when you're buying a custom bass second-hand you don't get to specify it.

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

Yes, but for some reason lined fretlesses are popular. It seems strange, you hardly ever see training wheels on bicycles, but manufacturers make most fretlesses lined, and when you're buying a custom bass second-hand you don't get to specify it.

well of course you can always remove or reinstall training wheels but fretlines are permanent .. I think of them more like the diagram on top of a gear stick, essential at first but once you get the hang of it then not so much, however its good to know that they are there to fall back on when required. I have heard some reasons to not want fretlines such as they put some people off or others like the look of a plain board, but I suspect some just like to flex in front of an audience. If you want that no fretlines experience then you can always turn off the lights, ..so far I never felt the urge. Fretlines look pretty much like frets to me and I'm very comfortable with that particular look.

Edited by Musicman666
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

well of course you can always remove or reinstall training wheels but fretlines are permanent .. I think of them more like the diagram on top of a gear stick, essential at first but once you get the hang of it then not so much, however its good to know that they are there to fall back on when required. I have heard some reasons to not want fretlines such as they put some people off or others like the look of a plain board, but I suspect some just like to flex in front of an audience. If you want that no fretlines experience then you can always turn off the lights, ..so far I never felt the urge. Fretlines look pretty much like frets to me and I'm very comfortable with that particular look.

Remove the fretboard.

On 19/04/2024 at 17:31, squire5 said:

This.Looks as if the body has been stretched.It just looks well...wrong.Dont hate it,just dont like it.

IMG-9110_1600x.webp

The perfect bass for those "no money above the 5th fret" people, who doesn't want to pay for too many extra frets.

Only thing even better for those people I imagine would be if they had made the body even longer and cut the neck at the 7th fret.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

5 hours ago, nilorius said:

Remove the fretboard.

That's what I had done to my fretless Thumb (originally fretted, fret lines were visible so I got Jon Shuker to remove then original board and put on a plain ebony board).

• Like 1