Why become a member? ×

Jackson bass in an unusual place

Maybe I’ve not been paying enough attention but I would never have imagined Jackson (pointy headstock fame - think Randy Rhodes guitars) in the R&B/ Hip Hop genre in the hands of Adam Blackstone. 

It doesn’t sound too bad from the video, but considering this guy is the MD for the biggest names in modern music, it feels out of place.

https://bassmagazine.com/jackson-unveils-adam-blackstone-signature-pro-series-concert-bass/

• Like 1

Ahhh, how I miss the days when people just played what they liked instead of trying to adhere to aesthetic stereotypes. Anyway, Jackson are owned and made by Fender, have been for over a decade. It's another rehashed Jazz-a-like made by the people who bought the rights to the original Jazz designs. It's a Fender, basically, just they use a different decal when they make subtle design variations which would have the Fender cultists knocking pomade onto their zoot suits. We can all sleep easy tonight 😉

Edited by Doctor J

9 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Ahhh, how I miss the days when people just played what they liked instead of trying to adhere to aesthetic stereotypes. Anyway, Jackson are owned and made by Fender, have been for over a decade. It's another rehashed Jazz-a-like made by the people who bought the rights to the original Jazz designs. It's a Fender, basically, just they use a different decal when they make subtle design variations which would have the Fender cultists knocking pomade onto their zoot suits. We can all sleep easy tonight 😉

Surely Fender bought Jackson because of the market share it had created with its history of rock instruments. It would have been a lot easier and more marketable for them just to call this signature a Fender. I think really it is derived from the Charvel 5 string which is also Fender.

Jackson bought Charvel in the late 70's, they've been one entity under different logos since then with many shared models, usually Jackson made in USA and Charvel made in Japan. When FMIC bought Jackson, they got the Charvel brand too. When Fender bought Jackson, the market for pointy guitars was on its arse, but for a small core following. The pointy stuff is still not huge business but they're shifting loads of Fender derived designs, under the Charvel name, which would be just too radical, despite the traditional styling, for the average Fender customer.

• Like 4

It's pretty unpleasant to look at, but it doesn't have much classic Jackson DNA in its appearance so shouldn't look particularly out of place.

A comment I read on Facebook when the bass was announced summed it up - "what a bad day to have eyes".

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Wow, that colouring is horrible! 

15 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's pretty unpleasant to look at, but it doesn't have much classic Jackson DNA in its appearance so shouldn't look particularly out of place.

A comment I read on Facebook when the bass was announced summed it up - "what a bad day to have eyes".

I love it!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash